View Single Post
Old 02 April 2010, 12:56 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamz_
How have you managed this,
The way I've done the start inhibit switch (and the only way to increase the automatic pre- start delay) is by customising the ECU firmware. However the only reason I've done it that way is because I've done a stack of other much cooler things to it, and as a result these extras became very simple to add.

You could achieve the same thing simply by cutting the wire from the crank position sensor in the ECU loom and soldering in a switch that you fit somewhere in the cabin. That way, flicking the switch off does exactly the same thing as physically unplugging the sensor, but you can do it all easily from the driver's seat.

If you hid the switch somewhere not immediately accessible, or disguised it as something else, it has the potential to become a passive anti-theft device too.

I take it Harvey's method is running the power to the fuel pump to a switch on the dash?
Without wanting to speak for him, if you got a single pole double throw switch with three positions (On-Off-On), and connected its middle pin to the wire going to the fuel pump, and then the outer two from the regular pump drive, and a permanent fused 12v source, when you have the switch in the centre you'll have pump inhibit. If you flick it one way you'll have regular ECU control and to the other, manual "on" for draining etc like Harvey's.

Again, where you site the switch is up to you. Hiding it has certain passive security benefits.