Notices

is a clifford blackjax 5 able to work alongside my sigma m30?

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2011, 08:17 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is a clifford blackjax 5 able to work alongside my sigma m30?

am coming round to the idea of the blackjax, mainly because i can't find a passive transponder/immobiliser type device that won't allow the engine to start if the transponder is not in range of the car.

i have read it can run alongside an existing alarm, is that actually true? anyone done this?

any downsides to adding this system to an existing setup rather than a whole new clifford alarm with it intergrated? have read that it if you have a clifford with blackjax and enable it, it invalidates the cat1 "status" of the system but if i install it alongside the sigma, that won't apply will it?
Old 11 December 2011, 09:00 PM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

Yes, it'll work fine alongside the Sigma No idea about the Cat 1 bit tbh
Old 11 December 2011, 10:13 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

is this: http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/cliff...ng-p-9681.html what i am needing? its not an addon to an existing clifford kit is it?

howver that website says nothing about using thatcham approved installers, whereas this place: http://www.soundsalarminguk.com/security.htm seems to.

even though they don't list the blackjax, does that place seem like a better place to use?

might take a trip to sounds alarming to see what they have instore.
Old 12 December 2011, 10:41 AM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

That is what you need and where i bought mine from

Self install is fairly easy if your competant with auto electronics and a soldering iron.
Old 14 December 2011, 09:37 AM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

went to http://www.soundsalarminguk.com as they seemed to be a certified clifford installer to ask if they have and can install the blackjax and they said no because it was illegal in the UK? :/
Old 14 December 2011, 04:09 PM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

Illegal why?
Old 14 December 2011, 04:29 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

he mumbled something about it being able to turn off the engine while im motion. have emailed dymanic sounds to see if they can fit at well (since they sell it and it was where i was going to get it from in the first place)

i have no idea how good/bad/competent their installers are though..

edit: they've just gotten back to me, the blackjax is £80 (+£8 delivery) and they're asking for £200 fitted. does that sound "reasonable"?

Last edited by lanceuppercut; 14 December 2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 14 December 2011, 06:52 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Yes it can work along side a sigma M30, as its a stand alone immobiliser. It should not effect the cat 1 status of the sigma. It is technically illegal as it can cut the ignition when the car is in motion but then again thats the idea of it. I've had it fitted to my previous 2 scoobs and my Audi no problems. I never told the insurance company it was fitted. £200 seems ok fitted as most modern car wiring is that fine and thin its no longer a quick easy soldering job - VAG cars especially and those with stop start buttons.

Richard
Old 20 December 2011, 11:37 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

cheers, do you know if its possible (either by the user or the installer) to change when it actually kicks in, i'd prefer if it was drivers side activation only and cuts the engine when the RPM goes over 2k or speed goes above 20mph?

had a read of some documentation somewhere and not entirely certain if it meets the correct criteria for my RB5.
Old 21 December 2011, 06:14 AM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

It should be installed for drivers side only activation anyway.

I dont get the logic of it only cutting out over certain rpm/speeds, it can be set to cutout under certain rpm/speeds though, nobody wants the ignition cut when half way round a bend at any reasonable speed, the nearest tree will become a magnet...
Old 21 December 2011, 08:16 AM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

my thinking about cutoffs is to try and limit the amount the engine could be ragged.

does it have to be a 4 digit pin that needs to be entered?

my main requirement for it wouldn't be for car-jacking (though it is clearly a bonus), rather as an extra preventative measure to having my keys stolen whilst at my home.
Old 21 December 2011, 05:39 PM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lanceuppercut
my thinking about cutoffs is to try and limit the amount the engine could be ragged.
The car wont go far so not a major concern, i should think in 99% of cases after it first being taken they are going to want a bit of distance, a blown engine wont give them that...

does it have to be a 4 digit pin that needs to be entered?
No, user definable...

my main requirement for it wouldn't be for car-jacking (though it is clearly a bonus), rather as an extra preventative measure to having my keys stolen whilst at my home.
If they are happy to break in and steal your keys while you are there, it's not uncommon for them to beat you half to death for your immob code, at the end of the day it's just a car, hand over the code and let them take it...
Old 21 December 2011, 06:34 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

he mumbled something about it being able to turn off the engine while im motion. have emailed dymanic sounds to see if they can fit at well (since they sell it and it was where i was going to get it from in the first place)

edit: they've just gotten back to me, the blackjax is £80 (+£8 delivery) and they're asking for £200 fitted. does that sound "reasonable"?
I paid £70 to have mine fitted earlier this year on my newage JDM. He fitted it at my home aswell. Perfect job and he is a Clifford installer. I,m in Merseyside though. Steve
Old 23 December 2011, 09:29 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

How much are they asking to fit it?
It cost me 375 quid for the full clifford system (which includes anti hijack) to be fitted, think they are having a bit of a giraffe with you mate (get my cockney rhyming slang in there too )

Tony
Old 23 December 2011, 01:43 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

i never got back to them in the end but working it out, £120 for fitting they would've wanted (as i would clearly have to go there so no delivery)
Old 14 March 2012, 06:42 PM
scooby595
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try looking for dynamic sounds on eBay. Quoted me £225 for Toad AI606 fitted, in Norfolk including removal of old system. Extra £125 for text alert feature, which im considering.