Notices

JDM and alarms

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2011, 10:14 PM
Scooby Classic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM and alarms

Am I right in thinking that a MY03 JDM would have an after market alarm fitted as they didn't have standard ones from the factory?

Going to pick up my new toy on Monday and the chap says the fob needs a new battery. If its after market then I guess I won't know the brand until I get there.

Also, on my classic there is an alarm code pad if the fob doesn't work. Is there one on a JDM STI?

thanks
Old 15 October 2011, 11:52 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car could be fitted with any number of cat 1 alarm systems, it depends who imported it to what has been fitted so you wont know until you get there

Tony
Old 16 October 2011, 02:31 AM
scatty
Scooby Regular

mine has a cobra fitted, but doesnt have an alarm code pad ....
Old 16 October 2011, 08:42 AM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

JDM Subaru's are not fitted with alarms or immobilisers as standard, so it will have a after market system fitted, this is normally done when the car arrives in the uk by the company who imported it before they put it on the market, lets face it ,you would be crazy to have a Subaru in this country and not have a alarm & immobiliser fitted, I cant understand why someone would risk loosing a potential buyer for the sake of a couple of batteries? new batteries only cost a couple of quid so I would get the owner of the car to put a new battery in the fob to make sure there are no issues with the system if I were you mate, or you could end up having to fork out for a new system, also you normally get 2 fobs with alarms so if he hasn't got both ask him what happened to the other one.
Old 16 October 2011, 10:52 AM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

I thought the Jdm Sti had a immobiliser fitted standard .I know the spec c has a plain key looked at the picture in owners manual and the Jdm Sti has open and close button on the key plus i only have one key .Whats the black piece inside beside battery is that not somthing to do with immobiliser ??? .Mines a 05 reg which i have owned fron November 05
Old 16 October 2011, 11:37 AM
Scooby Classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dantastic
JDM Subaru's are not fitted with alarms or immobilisers as standard, so it will have a after market system fitted, this is normally done when the car arrives in the uk by the company who imported it before they put it on the market, lets face it ,you would be crazy to have a Subaru in this country and not have a alarm & immobiliser fitted, I cant understand why someone would risk loosing a potential buyer for the sake of a couple of batteries? new batteries only cost a couple of quid so I would get the owner of the car to put a new battery in the fob to make sure there are no issues with the system if I were you mate, or you could end up having to fork out for a new system, also you normally get 2 fobs with alarms so if he hasn't got both ask him what happened to the other one.
He says it is a battery issue, I have been to see the car and have a full check up (DEKRA) I spoke to him yesterday and said that it would be a sticking point. No alarm/immobiliser = no insurance. It is a deal breaker. Private dealer but he seems like a genuine guy.

Originally Posted by DIPSY
I thought the Jdm Sti had a immobiliser fitted standard .I know the spec c has a plain key looked at the picture in owners manual and the Jdm Sti has open and close button on the key plus i only have one key .Whats the black piece inside beside battery is that not somthing to do with immobiliser ??? .Mines a 05 reg which i have owned fron November 05
Interesting, any clarification on this? So I should be looking for two keys both that have buttons on for remote central locking? Is the alarm fob usually separate as on a uk classic or is it all integrated into the key?

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The car could be fitted with any number of cat 1 alarm systems, it depends who imported it to what has been fitted so you wont know until you get there

Tony
Indeed, thought that it might be the case. It was imported by a company so if the seller (private dealer) doesn't know then perhaps they will.

Last edited by Scooby Classic; 16 October 2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: shoddy spelling, again.
Old 16 October 2011, 02:22 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

One key has the remote buttons and looking in owners manual picture for Sti just a plain key with a plastic top for spare . Alarm fob is separate to key

It deffo should have a Cat1 alarm fitted for insurance

Last edited by DIPSY; 16 October 2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 16 October 2011, 03:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends what alarm with regards the fob as you can buy alarms with interfaces that operate with the standard locking and takes a feed off it to arm and disarm the alarm so as to avoid having a fob.
Old 16 October 2011, 03:15 PM
biggi
Scooby Regular

I have had 3 jdm imprezas in the last 2 years, all came with 2 keys one being the master with lock and open and other just a blank with subaru on it, all 3 came with 2 alarm fobs, sigma cat 1 systems fitted.
Old 16 October 2011, 07:04 PM
Scooby Classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by biggi
I have had 3 jdm imprezas in the last 2 years, all came with 2 keys one being the master with lock and open and other just a blank with subaru on it, all 3 came with 2 alarm fobs, sigma cat 1 systems fitted.
Ok, he says there are 2 keys so that's good news. Do you have to turn off the alarm and then remotely open the door or does one push do it all? Maybe depends on what type of alarm maybe?

Thanks for the help.
Old 16 October 2011, 09:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Standard JDM new age cars come with remote central locking, they still dont have an alarm or immobiliser standard but need one to pass the sva/esva/iva as its law that a car in the uk has to have some form of immobiliser fitted.
Its still pot luck to what that car will have fitted as it still depends on who imported it.

Tony
Old 17 October 2011, 09:30 PM
Scooby Classic
Scooby Regular

Hi all thanks for help. Got the car today (new thread up soon, huge thanks to all for answering questions). It came with the following:

Two keys: one with open and close buttons and another cool looking metal one.
Two immobiliser fobs with cobra written on
One alarm fob with cobra and two buttons (one bigger than the other)

No certificate though
Can I get the alarm inspected and get one issued?

Can I get more fobs?

Thanks for all your help guys, now just to get the little things sorted.
Old 17 October 2011, 09:39 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I think u can have it checked over n a certificate issued. Mine has a cobra fitted n came from litchfield imports. U could try iain litchfield I am sure he would sort u out. Htham
Old 17 October 2011, 09:55 PM
Scooby Classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
I think u can have it checked over n a certificate issued. Mine has a cobra fitted n came from litchfield imports. U could try iain litchfield I am sure he would sort u out. Htham

Ok, good idea, I'll bell him in the morning. Thx