Notices

Toad alarms

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2001, 08:46 PM
tklimes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm thinking of upgrading the security on my UK MY97 (currently only the standard CAT2 immobiliser in the ignition key).

There have been quite a few threads praising the Clifford products (and the Concept 500 is on my short list) but does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with Toad products?

Any feedback gratefully received.

Tom
Old 17 December 2001, 06:02 PM
joy
Scooby Newbie

Toad came up with a way of having a turbo timer and a cat1 alarm which has worked realy well in my car - all other options were too expensive.

the only real problem was when there was an insect inside the car one night while parked in the middle of a campground & it would stop flying with the interior lights on and then set off the sensors 10mins later just as we were getting back to sleep
Old 17 December 2001, 08:25 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

Joy
where did you get the device for the turbo timer to work with the alarm? I've got an HKS timer and A606 Toad. The people that fitted mine couldn't get the two to work together without major relays and diodes involved!!!
I'd be grateful if you know the solution.
Cheers
Steve
Old 17 December 2001, 08:28 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

Sorry Tom
I forgot to mention, I'm now on my second Toad A606 (second car) and they are good reliable alarms. Both installers I used also fit Clifford and both have said Clifford are more expensive (from them) and less reliable!
Steve
Old 17 December 2001, 08:35 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

If you want to see what some other people think of Clifford, see this http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=59660

Steve
Old 19 December 2001, 10:29 AM
tklimes
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for all the advice. My Toad is being fitted today along with a Blitz turbo timer. The installer doesn't seem to think that there will be a problem. I'll let you know how it went.

Tom
Old 19 December 2001, 12:32 PM
joy
Scooby Newbie

hi guys
i've got a 99 nz model - came with std subaru key immobiliser

to get aound the HKS timer we had to do a bit of a workaround - a cat 2 immobiliser (Toad PowerKey)and a cat 2 to cat 1 upgrade (Toad 221)which gives the same protection and features as a Toad Ai600 (this was the top model 2 yrs ago when we did it)

after we put the alarm in we found out that technically turbo timers are illegal in the uk cause the engine is still running when the steering lock is engaged

we left the std subaru immobiliser in - which is the only thing that has given us any problems (activating 1/2 way through the compliance check when we moved to the uk)

hope this helps and isnt too late
JOY

[Edited by joy - 12/19/2001 12:38:06 PM]
Old 19 December 2001, 04:48 PM
dannyn
Scooby Regular

Tom
See you're in Peterboro' had a Toad fitted by ICE Direct no probs at all, I expect to be around for the weekend if you want a look.
ICE did a good job too.
DOH! Just noticed its already done
Dan

[Edited by dannyn - 12/19/2001 4:49:48 PM]
Old 19 December 2001, 06:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Get a clifford they have a turbo timer as an option for the alarm system!!
As for it going wrong, ive had one keypad replaced, thats all its my second clifford, the first being a concept 50 and no problems with that one either as they say, most installers dont like them because they are complicated, now if its complicated for most installers its going to be complicated for most theives AND ive also got anti hijack on mine ok its expensive but well worth it IMHO

Tony
Old 19 December 2001, 09:06 PM
tklimes
Scooby Regular

Joy - thanks for the info. I'm not sure about the legality as I was told by the dealer that Clifford had received the OK to fit the their turbo timer as part of the alarm package

Dan - ICE Direct are doing mine. I couldn't get there tonight so I'll pick it up tomorrow but they don't appear to have hit any problems.

Tony - I'm sure that the Clifford solution is very very good but I was quoted £650 for the Concept 500 + tubo timer while the Toad C4 + Blitz auto timer (with the benefit of a boost guage and automatic rather than fixed timer) came to £435 which, I'm sure you'll agree, is a hell of a difference!

Tom

[Edited by tklimes - 12/19/2001 9:09:50 PM]
Old 20 December 2001, 10:27 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hope the installation went well Tom Toad are a good system but i prefer my cliffords thats all more gadgets i suppose but i see what you mean by the price difference, you just have to see what you missed out on thou, things like the anti hijack (which by the way you can still have fitted ) and i would have thought for that price they would have fitted a 600 for you and not a 500??
Also its easier to fit a tracking system to a clifford than to most other alarms as there are spare ports on the unit for it but as long as your car is safe thats what matters

Tony
Old 21 December 2001, 10:04 PM
tklimes
Scooby Regular

Bugger, Bugger, Bugger

I feel very let down by ICE Direct. Having assured me that there would be no problem with the Toad C4 and Blitz turbo timer guess what... they were unable to get them to work together

So now I have a car with a Toad alarm that sets while the engine is running from the turbo timer then when the timer cuts the engine the alarm unlocks all the doors and disarms!!!

My options at the moment are A) remove the Toad and go back to the factory CAT2 immobiliser plus Turbo timer (saves the turbo but no sleep at night) or B) pay for a Clifford 500 + Clifford turbo timer addition (extra £270) and write off(or sell at great loss) the brand new Blitz turbo timer. Thanks ICE Direct

Tom (not a happy bunny)
Old 22 December 2001, 09:47 AM
miggs
Scooby Regular

I would personally sell the turbo timer all you would do is just sit in the car an xtra couple of minutes its not that bad

miggs

p.s i see you r in peterborough we run a club for scoob owners and have regular meets in all different areas take a look

www.scoobycity.co.uk

Old 25 December 2001, 10:10 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sorry to hear that Tom
It looks like the dealer promised what they couldnt deliver [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] and due to that id go get that alarm removed and get a 600 fitted with turbo timer option
Just dont let them fit it, look around for a decent company/dealer who can do what they promise

Tony
Old 03 January 2002, 02:28 PM
tklimes
Scooby Regular

Tony

The car's back with ICE Direct to see if they can sort the mess out. The current thinking is: out with the Toad C4, fit a Clifford 500 + Clifford turbo timer and take out the Blitz Turbo Timer (and hopefully sell it). Looks like I'll have to pay the difference in price between the Toad and Clifford though...

I forgot to mention that they also fitted my Geodesey in the wrong place so they're having to do that again too

I don't think that I'll be using them again or recommending them to anyone.

Tom