Notices

Concept 600 / Blackjax & Thatcham 1

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2001, 11:40 AM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've just sent the following email to clifford-uk.com customer services...

"I've just bought and had installed a Clifford Concept 600 system. The two main selling points for me were that:
1) It's Thatcham Category 1 approved.
2) The Blackjax anti-hihacking system.

Upon reading the manual now, I see several notes stating that enabling the Blackjax feature invalidates the Thatcham evaluation. Nowhere in your adverts or website does it mention this. Does this mean that, assuming my insurance company require a Cat 1 alarm, if the car is stolen while Blackjax is enabled, there's a risk the insurance company will not pay out. Does this mean I have bought an alarm with a (much-hyped) feature I can't use, because it invalidates my insurance, although there was no mention of this prior to fitting?

I would appreciate your comments.

Regards
xxxx xxxxx"

Ratman
MY98 Wagon
Old 02 November 2001, 01:41 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Good question, Ratty. Be interested to see what they say.

Richard.
Old 14 November 2001, 12:02 PM
Nigel R Smith
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for posting that rat I was considering spending my cash on the 600 I will have to look my closely now.
Old 14 November 2001, 02:39 PM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

Still no reply from Clifford, I'm afraid. But the alarm itself is excellent.

Ratman,
MY98 Wagon
Old 14 November 2001, 02:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Still worth it IMHO as the blackjak can be turned off or on, and the good thing is its classed as an independent unit so you still actually have a cat1 alarm on your car
Also its stopped a few thefts of scoobs that i know of and is a must IMHO for any car of worth.

Tony
Old 18 November 2001, 08:24 PM
Max the Clifford dealer
Scooby Regular

Although the manual states that the BlackJax function has not been evaluated by Thatcham, this is a question which has arisen numerous times since early 1999 when the C600 was launched. It is not that Thatcham would strictly consider the C600 non-compliant if it was enabled and there was an insurance claim issue, it is just that their specs for compliant systems don't include any criteria for such an 'advanced' security feature and so they had some doubts as to the safety of someone's engine cutting off and leaving the car in the middle of a road causing an obstruction, so I've been led to believe. It is a matter I raised at a VSIB meeting back in '99 as a regional rep and the VSIB's chief inspector said he had no doubts whatsoever that this would cause someone's system to be non-compliant, and if ever there was an issue with someone's policy (highly unlikely) then the VSIB would arbitrate (provided it was a VSIB accredited install) and ensure Thatcham was 'on-side' too. It is no different from having any old Cat.1 and then also having the stand-alone BlackJax system installed too. If there were any real issues with BlackJax, the C500/600 would never have gained Thatcham status unless the BlackJax portion was removed.

Old 22 November 2001, 10:23 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

I was thinking of a similar set up on my new mota.

I got a quote for the basic 600, but what am i looking at paying for the 600+blackjax+perimiter sensing/talky/annoying type thing

Just working out my budgeting.. after a previous car was hijacked from me, I'm not scrimping this time!!

Andy
Old 24 November 2001, 03:27 PM
Max the Clifford dealer
Scooby Regular

Andy,

The basic 600 does come with BlackJax, dual zone proximity sensor (perimeter sensing thing), window rollups, digital tilt/motion sensor and the wireless immobilisation module. I hope your installer knows what they're talking about
Old 25 November 2001, 03:41 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Max

So for all that lot installed (possibly by your good self), what sort of cash am i looking at. I've got to admit I'm losing confidence in the guy i spoke to after I visited his shop . First impressions definetely count in my eyes . What a bloody mess!

Andy
Old 27 November 2001, 04:08 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Andy

Forget the "Sense and tell" unit - the local kids will see it as a challenge to get the alarm to talk to them...

Max charges the standard RRP but will chuck in some goodies, like essential glass break sensor and damn useful cliffnet wizard.

Wherever you get it fitted, be absolutely confident in the place that does the fitting. In the worst case, the quality of your alarm install is what keeps your car belonging to you!

I would wholeheartedly recommend Max, as he's now installed 5 (or is it more - lost track) alarms for me, and I have never once had a problem. Tip top chap, no relation other than satisfied customer and occasional tea consumer when I'm passing, etc, etc...

Nick.
Old 28 November 2001, 01:04 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also see my thread...
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=55311

David
Old 17 December 2001, 08:43 PM
555 BOY
Scooby Regular

Talking

AVI,
Try giving 'K & M Acoustics' a call in Wigan(01942 820174),lancs they've fitted several Cliffords for me and are absolutely top notch,all well educated lads rather than muppets.
At the mo I've got a 600 on my01 Top system,Blackjax is a pain up the **** at first but persevere and after a couple of mths you punch your code in without knowing

Old 17 December 2001, 10:29 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Did consider Blackjax on my car, but was told by two different Clifford dealers not to, as it caused some problems with cars getting stranded due to not being able to start.
Old 18 December 2001, 05:53 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Question

Tezza, only if you forget the code!! seriously, I don't know of anyone who's had that happen to them. Why would you get stranded? Once the system kills the engine your keys are useless, but the engine can be restarted by entering the code.
Old 19 December 2001, 05:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

AVI, who did you go and see??????

Tony