Notices

Immobiliser and starting problems, help please.

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2006, 07:56 PM
Geezer-UK-
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Immobiliser and starting problems, help please.

Already posted this in general, but was advised to put it here instead (obvious really!)

I have a 2000 Turbo Wagon, with (i'm guessing) standard alarm and immob (blue single button fob to lock/unlock and turn alarm on and off and a small black single button fob to disarm the immob). The battery has been flat on the car for about a week as after coming back from holiday the alarm had gone off and flattened the battery (not broke into or anything). My problem is this, I used the jump leads and got power to the car, the large blue fob works as normal and unlocks the doors and turns alarm off but the small black fob which I have to press before starting is doing nothing, none of the usual clicks from the dash to let me know it works.
The red light on the fob flashes as normal when I press it, but still nothing!

I have tried both sets of keys with the same result. I know about the pylon problem and have had to use the keypad many times in sheffield and its not that, because even when I have to use the keypad I still have to use the small fob before using the key to start the engine.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 28 March 2006, 09:09 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

The Blue single button fob (with Subaru logo - just to confirm) is the standard UK fitment Sigma M30 Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser. This system incorporates 2 immobiliser circuits on the 2000MY Impreza (fuel and starter circuits), in addition to a factory transponder immobiliser (engine management circuit) which is incorporated into the ignition key housing - the 2 M30 circuits had to be used as this factory immobiliser did not meet Thatcham approval.
Unfortunately I have no idea what the addition immobiliser is, or what circuits it will be acting on.

To conform with EU noise nuisance laws the standard programming of the M30 will only allow a single circuit to trigger the alarm system 10 times in succession, in one armed period, so it is unlikely that false alarming of the system will have flattened the battery, but back to the main problem...

Provided the Blue fob is unlocking the car then it is not a case of Radio Lock Out and there is no benefit in using the overide keypad - the M30's immobilisation circuits disarm when the doors unlock (the dashboard LED should illuminate for 30 seconds, during which time the M30 would usually allow the engine to be started).
I presume that you are using the same ignition key? If so, its unlikely to be a factory transponder immobiliser problem.
That only leaves the other system with the black fob that must have been added to the vehicle.

On the subject of the fobs have you tried new batteries? The LED illuminating on a fob is not intended as an indication of a healthy battery - the LED requires very little voltage to operate, but the radio transmitter requires considerably more.

If that still doesn't work and you have no overide for the black fob immobiliser, then if you can let me know whether the engine cranks but does not fire, or doesn't even crank and let me know whether or not the ignition lights are coming on when the ignition is turned on, then I'll see what else I can come up with to try and at least elliminate the standard systems.

SS
Old 31 March 2006, 03:05 PM
Geezer-UK-
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, righty, the engine doesn't crank, all normal ignition lights are on.

I think i've located the immob box behind the dash, the box is labled PFK electronics 172Ri. A quick google gave me this http://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/ala...tch/172rli.htm

The fobs are the same but the box is different although it does have the single black wire coming from one side and 2 looms from the other. But listed amongst the features for that imob is PIN override facility. Dunno where this is if its on my car, i've looked everywhere.

Edit... I also found this page: http://www.autotronics.co.uk/autowatch.html

Cheers

Rich

Last edited by Geezer-UK-; 31 March 2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 31 March 2006, 08:13 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Hi Rich,
PFK own the Autowatch brand, so its that route I'd go down if I were you.
The PIN entry for this system is most likely input by turning the ignition on and off in some order if you have the Autowatch PIN (not to be confused with the Sigma PIN!) and you can find details of the procedure to enter it, it may just work!
Still cant understand why this has been fitted in addition to the existing immobilisers - guess a previous owner was a little over cautious!!
SS
Old 31 March 2006, 08:20 PM
Geezer-UK-
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for that SS, i've now found some contact details for autowatch and i'll contact them before getting an auto-electrician to by-pass or remove the system.

Rich