Notices

RAC Trackstar Protector (Inc BBU) with Safespeed?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2006, 12:08 AM
D-an-W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RAC Trackstar Protector (Inc BBU) with Safespeed?

Hi folks, I am in the process of getting everything swapped over to my name (Not taken car home yet, WRX PPP MY05) and I am a little puzzled to my Tracker model.

On the Install Certificate it calls it a "RAC Trackstar Protector (Inc BBU)" (I know the BBU is the Battery Back Up option), but I am unsure if this is a Trackstar Plus and also if it can have the Safe Speed option enabled?

Is this Safe Speed a seperate piece of hardware that would require installing, or does the hidden box just beep at you when driving past Gatso's etc? Is this option worth the money too?

Also what is the difference between "Plus" and "Protector" (I was sent out two different renewal forms one saying "RAC Trackstar +" the other just "RAC Trackstar".

I do intend to phone them again tomorrow, but I just know the wealth of knowledge on here could give me a heads up prior to the call...

TIA...D-an-W

EDIT:

Found this info on my travels, can anyone confirm?

Safespeed option, which is a fixed camera warning system. This does not require any additional hardware to be installed and is simply available as a download to your unit. It gives the driver audible warnings as the vehicle approaches fixed camera sites and because it is a GPS system it will only warn you of the cameras on the side of the road that the vehicle is travelling on.

Last edited by D-an-W; 25 January 2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old 25 January 2006, 10:57 AM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

My certificate of installation also says "Trackstar protector (inc. BBU)" which seems to mean the Trackstar Plus configuration. Trackstar Plus was stated on the car specs so I trust subaru to install the right thing, and I'm sure they fear litigation too much to install something else on the quiet.

I guess the way to explain it is that "trackstar protector" is the physical unit that has been installed, ie the box that's in the car talking to the satellite, but "RAC Trackstar Plus" is the consumer package overall that is using the box.

I have Safespeed also and can confirm that nothing else needed to be installed. A quick phone call was all it took (and a credit card obviously), and then Trackstar push some info via the satellite out to the car and it was up and running within a few hours.

So far I think it's worth it, but then again I'm pretty good at seeing fixed cameras. (fingers crossed)

I was worried the beeping was going to be really intrusive on the bottom section of the M25, with cameras all over the place, but actually if your cruising + or - 10 ish mph you get a quite restrained reminder or 2. A couple of times it's warned me of a 30mph camera off to a side road when the road I was actually on was a 50. The beeping was louder and much more insistant which was pleasing to know.

Yes I will also confirm that it only beeps for cameras on ur side of the road too. Clever !

Overall I think it's worth it, but then I do a lot of driving in unfamiliar places.
Old 25 January 2006, 06:12 PM
D-an-W
Scooby Regular

Thanks NorthDownsScooby for the very concise reply. I phoned them today and it appears (As you say) I can have the Safespeed option enabled too. Going to pay for duration on Tracker and monthly on Safespeed for the time being.

It seems mine was installed by Subaru UK also.

Just got my wheels back from Metal Magic in Barnsley (Fronts had some kerb scuffing), they have done a fantastic job, almost a shame to fit them to the car now
Old 27 January 2006, 01:50 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D-an-W
Thanks NorthDownsScooby for the very concise reply. I phoned them today and it appears (As you say) I can have the Safespeed option enabled too. Going to pay for duration on Tracker and monthly on Safespeed for the time being.

It seems mine was installed by Subaru UK also.

Just got my wheels back from Metal Magic in Barnsley (Fronts had some kerb scuffing), they have done a fantastic job, almost a shame to fit them to the car now
I was told I couldn't do the safespeed monthly and had to pay for a year. In truth I wanted to give it a go for a couple of months then cancel it if it was rubbish, so a monthly contract would have been ideal.