Notices

has my car got a alarm

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2004, 05:20 PM
ukdub
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has my car got a alarm

i have got a my04 wrx it has tracker fitted but i can't find anything to do with the alarm just the lock and unlock on the key fob. It is a uk spec car but i don't know if the car was sourced from the EU or the UK. It doesn't say on the v5
Old 24 December 2004, 06:57 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Where did you buy it from?
Old 24 December 2004, 07:46 PM
ukdub
Scooby Newbie

carcraft of all places
Old 24 December 2004, 10:19 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Not too sure. Sit in it, lock the car with the key fob (this will set the alarm if it has one) then move around in the car. You'll soon know!
Old 25 December 2004, 08:52 AM
stevies
Scooby Regular

Default Alarm horn

Originally Posted by ukdub
i have got a my04 wrx it has tracker fitted but i can't find anything to do with the alarm just the lock and unlock on the key fob. It is a uk spec car but i don't know if the car was sourced from the EU or the UK. It doesn't say on the v5

If your talking about the factory alarm, the best way of knowing is if the actual siren is under the hood. should be on the driver side strut tower, at least that is where it is on my 04 sti
Old 25 December 2004, 10:58 AM
teknobod
Scooby Regular

Check the PDI stamp in the service book. The supplying dealer will have stamped it and this should tell you whether it is UK supplied or not.

AFAIK, parallel imports do have a basic alarm but not a CAT1. All UK supplied cars are fitted with a CAT1 alarm.

Andy
Old 26 December 2004, 12:02 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Thinking about it my UK car had a seperate leaflet in the handbook folder giving details on the alarm.
Old 26 December 2004, 12:16 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

If the vehicle has the UK import centre fitted Sigma Cat 1 then the ignition key will only have one button - if it is a European model it will have two. Other tell tales are the round ultrasonics fitted on the a pillars above the wing mirrors, LED to the left of the clock in the centre binacle and over-ride keypad in the coin box below the steering column and to the right.

The siren is not visable on models from 01MY onward to comply with the additional Thatcham attack test requirements for "Factory Fitted" alarm systems. 99-01 models were categorized as an "Aftermarket Fitment", although still standard in the UK being fitted at the import center.
Sitting in the vehicle and arming the system will not neccessarily trigger the system, as the ultrasonics are "intelligent" and will adjust-down during the initial 15 second settle period if they detect motion within the vehicle, to prevent false alarms.

Hope this helps,
SS
Originally Posted by chris's scooby
Thinking about it my UK car had a seperate leaflet in the handbook folder giving details on the alarm.
Old 26 December 2004, 07:10 PM
ukdub
Scooby Newbie

i guess it isn't a uk supplied car then. How would i set off the 'basic alarm' teknobod or anybody. By the way thanks for all your help.
Old 26 December 2004, 08:09 PM
ukdub
Scooby Newbie

also, why would it be fitted with a tracker but not a alarm, the car is only six months old. As for the service book that is another story.
Old 26 December 2004, 10:39 PM
teknobod
Scooby Regular

I guess that it has a Tracker which has been retro fitted as most insurance companies nowadays wont quote without one, or that seems to be the case as I am trying to get quotes at the moment.

As far as testing the alarm, if you can see an ultrasonic sensors fitted (like very small telephone mikes usually one on each windscreen pillar) set the alarm with you inside, after about 1 minute try moving about in the car and the alarm should sound.
If the car does not seem to have the sensors, again set the alarm with you inside but manually unlock the drivers door from inside, after about 1 minute open the drivers door and the alarm should sound.

Hope this helps.

Andy