Notices

turbo timers and alarms

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2001, 06:03 PM
greenking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Anyone use a turbo timer coupled to a third party alarm.
I was told the toad 600 and Cliffords can handle a turbo timer but the car will have to be locked by keys?? (therefore no point in havin one)Is that true??
thanks
G.

Old 27 January 2001, 07:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

And the answer to this question is no, you can still lock/arm the alarm/immobiliser with the turbo timer running, does nicely on mine (its an option on the alarm)
Greenking, mail me off line and tell me where u are, ive got a turbo timer fitted to my my00 and ill show u how it works if u want as i also live around the same area as you!!

Tony
Old 29 January 2001, 01:12 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

TonyBurns

Is this an option on the Standard MY00 Cobra CAT 1 Alarm?

Old 29 January 2001, 04:52 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

AGAIN!!!!

Please remember a Turbo Timer can totally invalidate your insurance!

Mossman
Old 29 January 2001, 05:18 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Darms, i have a clifford fitted to my car and as an option (still keeps its cat1) you can have a turbo timer fitted, not sure about the cobra cat1, but as mossman says, turbo timers can invalidate your insurance.

Tony
Old 29 January 2001, 10:36 PM
richto
Scooby Regular

I have a Blitz multispeed Turbo timer. This takes account of how you drive and only runs the engine for the required time - normally this is only about 10 to 20 seconds by the time I have slowed down and parked, etc. I therefore just wait in the car for the countdown to finish before getting out and locking the doors as per normal.

This should not therefore be any insurance problem as the car is always locked and immobilised as it should be.

nb - the immobiliser will always arm 30 seconds after the engine goes off anyway. The problem is with the alarm / door locks - even if set to 'auto-arm' these will not work as they expect to see a door open / close after the engine turns off before they will engage.

I would not worry too much about the insurance companies view point - if the thing is nicked they can hardly see if you have had one fitted can they?
Old 31 January 2001, 04:02 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

I have the Clifford 600, with Turbo Timer built in.

i use it all the time.

Its a case of, park up, turbo timer on, keys out of the iginition, out of car, alarm car, wait for TT to finish it run, walk away from car.

Old 31 January 2001, 04:15 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

The Clifford alarms have a timer facility which can be used for a number of different functions, of which a turbo-timer is one. It shouldn't cost any more to have this set-up, as it's relatively simple to do (if you know what you're doing that is! ).
The worse that will happen is that you'll walk away from your running car, some muppet will smash the window, open the door, try and drive away only to realise that the steering lock is on and he can't go anywhere, unless you left your car in the middle of a very large car park!
I have mine set to run for 2 mins after I leave the car, but you can manually turn it off with the key fob if you're in 'pose-mode' outside a shop or pub!!!!

Stef.