Notices

Scooby Security.....

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2000, 05:34 PM
mirAGE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me how often they get their scooby tampered with, Do many try to take them / damage them and what is the security like on them as standard, I have the Turbo 2000 - Should I fit extra ? Should I expect a lot of trouble from interference.....
Old 20 November 2000, 07:55 PM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi mirAGE, make sure the alarm you get/have
has a tilt sensor, as alot of pondlife use
low loaders, we had a previous car nicked
from right outside our house and did'nt hear
nothing. About a month ago someone had a go,
screwed the locks, which are made from paper,
alarm went off, and scared them away, we have
purchased a disclock which is a bit cumbersum
but is a good visual deterant.
3 ROCKIES also keeps the local scum away

Old 21 November 2000, 11:35 AM
mirAGE
Scooby Regular

What sort of an area do you live in - Average or a little worse that average etc etc, I am will get a tilt sensor fitted and am having a tracker installed, Also thinking about disklock and wheelclamp etc etc.. All this should make them think twice.....
Old 21 November 2000, 08:19 PM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

All sounds pretty good. Instead of a wheel clamp, look at the barrier deadlock, locks the gear in reverse, phone 01514894889 possibly they'll tell you nearest fitter.
If definate about fitting tracker, get something along the lines of a trak-back
which will alert you/plod to the car being moved without your consent, and can be tracked while on the move, same system on security vans etc..
Old 21 November 2000, 10:50 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

When I got my scoob I was *really* paranoid about security. I opted to get a Toad cat 1 and 24hr Tracker Monitor fitted. Luckily they haven't gad to be used in anger as such but upto now they are great.

I also have a Disklok, and must confess, I think it would be extremely difficult to remove.

I like the idea of the gearbox lock but am considering some other stuff, extra anti-hijack kit, smoke alarm etc... has anyone experiened the smoke alarm?

Matt
Old 22 November 2000, 11:41 AM
mirAGE
Scooby Regular

How is the Track-Bak different to the Tracker Monitor which I think does the same thing so they tell me ????
Old 23 November 2000, 08:18 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

According to my local security fitter, the
TRAK-BAK informs you/plod that your car has been moved, I think it works with an alarm key, and when you arm it it sends out a signal saying the car is armed. When the system is triggered(car being moved 5 feet)
it sends a signal to a control centre, who get in touch with you to check the car, if they can't get in touch with you they'll phone plod. Whereas with the TRACKER you have to report the car missing first before anything is done, and by that time your car
could have been stripped etc...
Hope this helps.
C.

Trending Topics

Old 23 November 2000, 10:39 AM
mirAGE
Scooby Regular

I See - Tracker now operate 3 systems, Monitor, Retrieve and the Horizon - The Monitor is the one you are describing, The Retrieve will alert Tracker etc etc and the horizon is the same as the retrieve but uses GPS as well as GSM to track the vehicle....
Old 24 November 2000, 07:39 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Minter! Definatley get the best option, it's worth it. Good luck.
Old 24 November 2000, 02:20 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

The barrier deadlock on the gearbox is an excellent security device, but it is not a deterrant as the thieves don't know it's there until they get into the car. I would advise getting a disklok as well, for the deterrant value as well as the extra security. If a thief sees a steering wheel lock, they may think that there are other extra security devices fitted. That's the theory anyway!

Nothing worse than a thief breaking into your car, finding he can't drive it and then trashing the interior. Well, except a thief breaking into your car and driving off with it!
Old 24 November 2000, 05:11 PM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

Barrier deadlock question - as it locks the car in gear, what's to stop anyone depressing the clutch and towing the car off or winching onto a low loader ?? Makes the whole thing a tad worthless if that is the case. My UK MY96 is parked outside at night but off the road in a slightly dodgy area. I've trusted my luck to a Halfords steering wheel clamp (Disklok type?) and a full on wheel clamp (and a Cat1 alarm obviously). No probs so far - moving to a decent area next week, bet it goes within a month !

Neil.
Old 25 November 2000, 10:09 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Question

Very good observation Neil, can anyone who has a barrier deadlock comment or confirm if it is as simple to override it in this way?
Old 25 November 2000, 10:28 AM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi All

I have had a Barrier Deadlock fitted since new. Its simple to use and welded to the undercarrage of the car, so removal is very difficult. If I were a low life I'd go for a car which is not fitted with a BD - there are plenty about!

Re. the deterrant factor. There are stickers on both front doors. I expect that most low lifes will know what they mean before attempting to enter. This means that there's little point breaking in to the car and battling with the alarm unless you have low loader with you or fancy the stereo.

Re. Moving the car - any car can be towed on to a low loader - no BD or disklock will prevent this. If this is your concern get a tracker/trackstar device fitted.

I've use my car all over the West Midlands on a daily basis inc. city centre, airport etc. parking. So far (touching lots of wood!) - not a sniff of low lifes.

As far as I'm concerned there is no contest between a BD and a disklock for ease of use and real deterrant factor. I also got a discount on my insurance which means that it pays for itself after 3-4 years.

Old 01 December 2000, 09:21 AM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

PHILH,

We got a B.D. year ago and stopped car from being nicked. I was under the impression that if the car was locked in reverse and reversed up against a wall (as ours is) then it can't be towed away (or at least not very easily). This was because the B.D. locks the wheels in reverse and the Scooby is 4WD - therefore towing the car becomes quite a problem and is not worth the hassle.

I could be wrong though.

Tom
Old 01 December 2000, 10:33 AM
mirAGE
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Sounds like a plan, How much is the device ?
Old 01 December 2000, 04:21 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI MirAGE,
the more visable the security the better, well thats my motto anyway, ok i may not have a barrier deadlock but i do have a vauxhall astra van, which does the same job!! got to nick 2 to get one, most theives wont do that cos its too much hassle!! anyway the little clifford stickers and the disklok seem to keep the buggers away as no one has tampered with my my00 turbo yet!!
Old 01 December 2000, 05:11 PM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Hi Tom

I'm sure the BD would slow down anyone wanting to tow the car away but I don't think it would prevent it, since it would only be the compression of the engine which provides resistance. However, there would then be a pile of hassle trying to remove the device before they could drive it, far more than a disklock.

Anyone know otherwise?

Phil
Old 01 December 2000, 09:07 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

PhilH
You mention that you were able to get an insurance discount, could you tell me which company you are insured with ?
I like you have had a BD fitted since new and can recommend them, however I have not been able to find an insurer that has heard of the device and will give a discount.
I did send off the quote form supplied by BD but the premium was no better than Privilege who do not recognise the device.
This for me was the only disappointment especially as there own advertisement states "up to 20% discount available"
Cheers
Allan
Old 02 December 2000, 10:16 AM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Hi Alan

I'm with Eagle Star Direct but I've been with them for many years prior to buying the Impreza - I'm not sure they will offer you a good deal as a new customer though and you'll have to speak to them since their web-facility won't quote for an Impreza Turbo (or it didn't a while back and you don't find it out until the last page!).

Phil
Old 02 December 2000, 04:34 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Thanks Phil,
Can't remember if I tried Eagle Star, although my wife's car is insured with them. I'll give them another try next time.
Allan