Windows going up when activate alarm

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2004, 12:35 PM
Sanjes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows going up when activate alarm

Hi all,

I have a query which i hope some of you will have the answer to...

my mate has an 00 plate classic scooby i have a 99, his alarm is a sigma subaru standard just like mine..

However when his windows are down and he activates the alarm they go up. on mine they do not...!!!

i know on some other alarms this is an added feature, he inisists that it is totally standard.

Is there a setting for this?

Thanks
Old 02 July 2004, 02:47 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is called "full closure" and is an add-on for the Sigma M30 alarm fitted to all MY99/00 UK cars.

I asked about adding this a few years back and was told by Sigma that it would probably invalidate the Thatcham Category 1 approval as the factory-fitted alarm is only certified without that feature.

It's not expensive to add IIRC, but he'd need to check with his insurance company how this would affect the policy. Whatever he does, make sure his insurance is happy with it and he has it in writing. Don't take any chances for them to turn down a claim and never assume it'll be OK.

Stefan
Old 02 July 2004, 02:55 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

surely insurers would prefer windows to go up automatically? there's less chance of leaving the car vulnerable.

<runs off to see what happens on his MY00>

Incidentally parked next to bloke who left the windows down on his brand spanking rx-8 a few weeks ago - he didn't realise they didn't go up on their own as he was so use to the feature on his old car.
Old 02 July 2004, 03:46 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure the insurers would, but you know what they are like. Basically the guy from Sigma couldn't guarantee that an insurer (or Thatcham) wouldn't invalidate the approval.

It's too much of a grey area to take a risk. Better getting written confirmation one way or the other from the insurer. Afterall they have the power to turn down a claim and it'll get expensive trying to argue your case.

Stefan
Old 02 July 2004, 04:26 PM
Sanjes
Scooby Regular

Thanks - at least i know now....!!

any ideas of the approx cost of this?

cheers!

Originally Posted by ozzy
This is called "full closure" and is an add-on for the Sigma M30 alarm fitted to all MY99/00 UK cars.

I asked about adding this a few years back and was told by Sigma that it would probably invalidate the Thatcham Category 1 approval as the factory-fitted alarm is only certified without that feature.

It's not expensive to add IIRC, but he'd need to check with his insurance company how this would affect the policy. Whatever he does, make sure his insurance is happy with it and he has it in writing. Don't take any chances for them to turn down a claim and never assume it'll be OK.

Stefan
Old 02 July 2004, 06:05 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

personally I wouldnt do it, especially not with the crappy subaru motors.

it pulses the motors for about 15 secs after locking regardless of whether they are open or closed. There is a current over load cut, but basically its the same as trying to raise your windows once they are fully up.

Notice how the lights in the car dim when you do this. this is because the motor is drawing current. It puts unnecessary load on the motor coils which tend to slow down very quickly in subarusa anyway.

also be warned that its the type of feature that when you alarm goes wrong will open the windows for you.

When it comes to security in my opinion you are better off keeping it simple and reliable.
Old 03 July 2004, 03:44 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

the way it's wired it can't lower the windows if it goes wrong only raise them

i'm sure i posted here yesterday has it been deleted mods?
Old 26 July 2004, 01:15 PM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

Adam M,

The closure units have a protection, that they sense that the windows are up and cut the power to the motors when they are up, and if they are up already, they get power for 0.3secs, hardly going to damage the motors. there is also no way that the windows will go down if it fails.

I can see why it would be good to ask your insurance about the total closure, but no insurance company will invalidate your insurance for having it. it is an added safety feature, only remote start and the like will. Afterall cars such as BMW and VW have these features as OEM, and is linked into the C/L, so it shold be ok for them, why not others.

I certainly dont want to make enemy's on this board, but please only write on topics which you know about and not simpily guess on. is this why you have over 6000 posts?
because you just want to write, wether right or wrong.

BTW, I have worked in the car security industry since '97 so I have a good knowlege of this subject
Old 26 July 2004, 08:42 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

Bitchy bitchy now now boys
Old 26 July 2004, 08:55 PM
S7EV3N
Scooby Regular

I looked into the cost of getting this done recently. A couple of places near to me quoted about £200 in total for fronts and rears. My sunroof already closes when i turn of the ignition(is that normal) so no point paying extra for that. Apparently its cheaper to get it done when the alarm is actually being put in.

Didnt look into the insurance issues.