Notices

What do I do about my Clifford alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2004, 09:19 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default What do I do about my Clifford alarm?

I've basically had enough of the alarm on my car and I'm not worried that in the event of an attempted theft it won't do its job.

Its a clifford 600 and has the following faults:

Does not chirp on entry/exit
Refuses to go into "Program mode" so things like resetting or blackjax can't be used
It used to warn if people were stood too close to it but now you can actually rock the car from side to side without the alarm doing anything.
The wiring is a complete mess with some wires just wound together with gaffer tape around them.

The installation date is Sept 00. The car registration date is Sept 00. How the original owner who just spent 22K on a car allowed this alarm to be fitted in this way is beyond me.

I've spoked to a few security places who all tell me different things and one place said they'd have to take the alarm out and send it to clifford for repair and re-installation at a cost of about £200.

To be honest if I've got to spend money I may as well get thing whole thing ripped out and have a proper job done. I'm worried the alarm won't work when needed most and my insurer might say if the alarm wasn't fitted properly you are not covered.
Old 21 May 2004, 06:14 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds to me like the install was botched ( wires gaffer taped ) my advice would be either remove the system and replace it with something else or rewire it completely. I would recommend that every connection be soldered and insulated with either plastic insulating tape or heatshrink tubing (remember to slide it on the wire before soldering .In your case I think replacement would be the best option as you could spend a considerable amount of cash having the system rewired to find out you have a faulty control board etc. Also IIRC the subaru utilises an upgraded version of the Clifford alarm not the standard one as Subaru's have "noisy" electrical systems.

Steve
Old 22 May 2004, 07:23 PM
BlueBoy
Scooby Regular

I had my fill of Clifford alarms with my Evo's - when I got the Scoob I would have insisted on something else if it hadn't already been fitted with something else.

My Cobra alarm is great, so much easier to fit than Cliffords and they've got a great track record - if your thinking of ditching it, have a think on one of these
Old 23 May 2004, 12:15 AM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

EddScott:

Felt the same way myself, three cliffords inside on year on a new impreza.

I was happy to slag Clifford off to anyone.

But I got it sorted in the end.

BOTTOM LINE
Think of Clifford as computer controlled system, now you would not go to the butcher shop to get it installed would you?

Get it installed properly, you would not believe how my Clifford was installed by a authorised dealer.

The alarms are first class, its all down to the install believe me!