Notices

A cautionary tail about Clifford Alarms

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2003, 04:48 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I contacted my local Clifford dealer Marston Autoparts, Oxford.

They said that the Parts are covered under the Warrantee but not the labour.

So with an 8 Month old Clifford I was left with Paying to have my Blackjaxed Subaru taken by trailer to a dealer and they then wanted £17.63 to look at it and £41.13 per hour after the first hour labour.

So this was going to cost!

I phoned the installer RAM at Wakefield who fitted the original and a second system under warrantee to my brand new Subaru, that is now only now eight months old,
they said that they will ask Clifford to recommend another dealer that might take a look at it as a favour to them as they are all Clifford authorised installers

RAM would repair parts and labour as that is the service they offer to their customer, they will even send me a new plain view switch to swap out, but the problem might run deeper than a switch.

I will wait and see what RAM the dealer can sort out with Clifford.

The car is now drivable because fiddling with the switch and pressing it very hard got it going so I can drive it in valet mode, but can’t disable Blackjax.

The whole episode has put a taint on Subaru ownership, if you enable Blackjax and it fails you have a major problem.

I am not a happy Bunny!

What would you do?
Old 13 December 2003, 05:30 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Probably is the switch - I had a very similar problem, sometimes entering the code wouldn't disable the alarm because the key presses didn't always get picked up. Right-royal PITA and the valet switch is really poorly built which is a joke considering how crucial it is to the operation of the system.

Replaced my valet switch and it works fine. Pity I can't say the same about the alarm system in general, it's starting to show some of the classic Clifford G4 gremlins (unrelated to the switch) and their warranty is a joke TBH - labour at nearly £50 per hour to fix a fault that is down to their poor quality components is not acceptable to me so I'm putting up with the problems until I get time to replace the box myself (could do it in 15-20 minutes but no doubt I'd get charged 2+ hours labour....)
Old 13 December 2003, 05:50 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Paul_M: I thought it was just me, I was told Clifford C500 with Blackjax was one of the best quality alarm systems you could buy.

[Edited by Ajax - 12/13/2003 5:58:14 PM]
Old 14 December 2003, 10:25 PM
luddite dave
Scooby Regular

Just a thought, if you are still using the four digit code from new, reprogram the valet code for a two digit code, its alot easier to use and cuts wear down on the switch
Old 14 December 2003, 11:33 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

luddite dave: I would do, if the dam switch was working.
when the plain view switch fails you can't do a thing, but I take your point.

It might be the main box has failed and not taking the commands, but when Blackjax fails, it becomes a major problem to the owner, and if it is down to a poor quality switch, it does not make you want to own Blackjax.

It costs a shed load of money to get it towed away, and causes loads of hassle.

At this stage the dury is out over clifford, if it becomes a crisis I wont be happy, and will not be able to recommend the system, we will see customer service in action Monday.

keep you all posted

Ajax

[Edited by Ajax - 12/14/2003 11:35:03 PM]
Old 15 December 2003, 12:03 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

I have just had a reply from Please contact us at customerservices@clifford-uk.com :
Directed Electronics, Inc. Tel: 01372 847 120
Unit C, Longmead Business Centre Fax: 01372 847 150
Blenheim Road
Epsom, Surrey
KT19 9QQ

Natalie phone me back after leaving a message, the story is. Have RAM the supplier in Wakefield modified it to fit a WRX Impreza, I said I would not have thought so.

Well she said it needs to be modified to fit, because it will fail.
They are now contacting RAM in Wakefield to sort something out.

Anyone know what this is all about?

More l8r
Ajax
Old 15 December 2003, 12:13 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Monday 12.14

Just been contacted by Phil the Alarm installer from RAM, he tells me there are two types of Concept 500 Alarms, one that fits the WRX and the other type does not.

The alarm he fitted originally was the correct one, when it failed and was replaced by another engineer at RAM, he fitted the other type.

That is why it failed, he did not know my car was a WRX, I said well is written on the back of the car.

At this stage both Clifford and RAM in Wakefield are doing their best for me to get over the problem, seem to be very concerned and professional in handling the matter.

Now waiting for RAM to phone me back
Old 15 December 2003, 02:39 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

My Blackjax on the Supra has failed on me twice.

It was a poor installation in the first place, it's been back 5 times, intellistart doesn't work, window roll ups don't work and the valet switch is temperamental. So no more visits back to the dealer as it's liable to get worse. Part of the problem is getting the time to mess about getting it fixed. It's is the last time I'll ever buy Clifford. When I spoke to Clifford they weren't too interested and said it sounds like it was down to poor installation which is between me and the dealer, even though it's one of their authorised centres!!

Personally I'm going to get it removed, try and get a refund on the unit and then get a refund on the original fitting and cost of removing the system and I'll replace it with a Cobra fit and forget system.

Nito
Old 15 December 2003, 04:47 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

NITO, thanks for your reply, I will give them one last chance.
Old 15 December 2003, 04:49 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Got my phone call returned from RAM at Wakefield

RAM in Wakefield sorted something out with another authorised dealer namely Interpart Didcot they are taking it in Friday 9.00 to sort it out, I presume on a reciprocal favour through Clifford, anyway its local to me.

I will keep you posted, It would seem that there is a training issue at RAM with one of the installers, but otherwise you do seem to need a modified Clifford C500 Blackjax alarm system in a Subaru WRX, I hope others learn something from my misfortune.

I will let you all Know on Friday how I get on,

Speaking as I find, Clifford customer service has been good to me, special thanks to Natalie one of the customer service advisors.
Old 15 December 2003, 05:06 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Can anybody put any light what this Clifford C500 Blackjax Modified for WRX issue is all about, is it something to do with Subarus having unstable electronics ???
Old 19 December 2003, 11:59 AM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Smile

I went to Interpart 74 Broadway, Didcot Oxon. Tel: 1235510513 and saw Andrew, he did a reciprocal deal through R.A.M. in Wakefield to sort out my Clifford C500 alarm install.

Andrew put in a new box that had been modified by Clifford and this was written on the box, he also put in a new plain view switch, it was set up to my requirements with the features I wanted enabled, and the proxies were set up properly.

Andrew told me he had been involved with Clifford for ten years and the product was sound, I found Clifford customer service spot on and would like to than Natalie the customer service advisor for spotting the problem immediately and also R.A.M. for getting things sorted out, obviously the problem was down to a training issue of one of their staff at RAM in Wakefield

So all in all Clifford did well and RAM did their best under the circumstances.

I can recommend Interpart and especially Andrews services as he seems a top bloke for sorting things out.

I see no reason that it should fail again, if it does I will let you all Know, thanks for all your support on Scoobynet through the replies received.

REMEMBER SUBARU WRX’S NEED MODIFIED CLIFFORD C500 BLACKJAX ALARMS!

Old 19 December 2003, 07:45 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Thanks for closing that off. It seems that even the new cars need the mods? It was thought originally that only JDM cars needed them...
Old 19 December 2003, 09:56 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Cool

Chiark: Funny thing is when you are frustrated with a problem with your Subaru you think you are alone, and tapping away on here makes you feel better, but then you realise the support other Scoobynet members it makes you feel better and in some cases not alone.

I e-mailed Clifford and RAM with a note of thanks, with a nod in the direction of the Scoobynet saga in this thread.

Nice to give them good publicity when its due, to many doom storeys out there, nice to have the opportunity to be positive
Old 21 December 2003, 11:50 AM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

My STi7 had the wrong C600 fitted initially, although it was remedied a week later with the correct unit.

I have spoken to quite a few people regarding Clifford and those that had a quality install with a well known fitter never have any problems and those that have it fitted somewhere cheap, a mate that fits alarms or just a plain old car stereo shop have all the grief.

My crappy install was neither cheap or a mate, but not a well recognised installer either, although they were VSIP acredited and Clifford approved.

I would love to know the technical reason why moddified units have to be fitted, surely the 'noisy electrics' would apply to amps/headunits or any other kind of electrically powered add-on ?
Old 21 December 2003, 10:04 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Big Goon: I think the problem is that it’s not an overly documented fact, and even authorised dealers have staff that don’t know.

On the technical question, I have no idea, but that goes for a number of things I own, so if it works I am happy.

If by bringing this to other Scoobynet members attention, I hope it will save them some pain
Old 13 January 2004, 02:19 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Update
Since the problems experienced and now having the Modified C500 fitted, I have not had any problems.

Lets hope that’s the end of it

Three C500 alarms later and I have got one that’s working, happy now.