Notices

Considering Sti - Do I replace Trackstar??

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2003, 03:45 PM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Am tempted to buy an 03 Sti, and I have a question for all you Scooby netter...

Is the RAC system any good, is it passive or pro-active - if passive can it be upgraded, if so any ideas on how much??

Do I have it removed and replaced with my existing Proactive system?

Thanks for your help guys
Old 11 October 2003, 04:05 PM
Mr Slim
Scooby Regular

As I understand it the RAC trackstar uses GPS as its means of comunication, as used by any mobil phone. Problem with this means of comunicating is anybody can get hold of a signal blocker. These devices are used widely in places in which mobil phones are prohibated from being used. So if a scum bag thief gets his hands on one of these blockers he can be off with your motor and the RAC won't be able to locate it. equaly uninpresive is the fact that you can also block the signal by simply covering the transmitter arial. This info is what i was told be the installer of my TRACKER, when I questioned him on the differant options other than tracker. I personally would go for TRACKER.

Hope this helps, Paul.
Old 11 October 2003, 05:33 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

...but bearing in mind that fact that mobile phones use GSM as their "means of comunication" (GPS being the Global Positioning System which allow you to find out where abouts on earth you are) and that a "signal blocker" (which is actually illegal) would actually do more harm than a mobile phone in an area where "mobil phones are prohibated from being used", i would be careful about blindly accepting the information in the previous post! Or at the very least, make sure that you get an installer who knows what he is talking about

Do a search back over a few months in Security for loads of other information on Trackers.

mb
Old 12 October 2003, 08:22 PM
Mr Slim
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead, only going on info i'd been told by the installer of my tracker. Thay also under licence fit the trackstar aswell, and he told me that the tracker is the better option. As for the GPS blocker, a thief isn't going to give hoot about a blocker being illegal.

Paul.
Old 13 October 2003, 09:29 AM
striker66
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Give NavTrak a look - ADR system is fully proactive, contactless and gives full security coverage over 20 European countries. (You can also ring the car and it'll text you back it's current position!!)