Tracker....which one??

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2003, 11:58 AM
jamieerst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just purchased my first scoob

....but my insurance requires me to have a tracker

just wondered which are the better ones and how much they cost with regards for initial install costs and ongoing subscriptions.

ta.
Old 15 September 2003, 12:20 PM
Chris29
Scooby Regular

Far as I know, two types, normal tracker where you ring to say cars been nicked and they switch it on and GPS which phones you to say car has moved. As for first dealers will say they are crap as the GPS tell the police in real time where car is. True but then after operator sees it move they ring you to say its gone, then ring police comms (can be anywhere in Britain) which then gets rerouted to local force call taker, through to comms and then to traffic lads, (who may or may not be out and about). In my opinion (and of some traffic lads i spoke too) both systems are as good as each other, in fact the way things are at minute, many thieves are now nicking decent cars and sticking them in decent hotel car parks. They leave them 24hours and then go back to see if recovered. Personally i would rather get car back in one piece after tracker find it in a car park than have the pursuit lads chasing it at full blatt through Manchester, (seen it, very scary!!!). As for price I have the cheapest one at minute which cost £199 to fit and £99 a year subs, (admittedly I am upgrading soon to one where they see it move, purely because of where i live).

Hope this helps.
Old 15 September 2003, 12:25 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Go for a GPS/GSM combo, as the basic trackers are being ignored by some ins companies now as not worth it...

I've got a Navtrak unit and would fully recommend it. Excellent customer service now, and an innovative unit.

I'd also look very closely at the DanTrak unit. If these had been available when I wanted/needed tracking, I reckon I'd have had one!
Old 15 September 2003, 12:58 PM
jamieerst
Scooby Regular

thanks guys,

i was looking at the TRACKER Monitor system.

has anyone had any experience with these??

Old 15 September 2003, 01:06 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Have a look at this thread to see what some people think with first hand experience..
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=221193
Old 15 September 2003, 02:18 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Does anyone have any objective insight into the pros and cons of the GPS/GSM type trackers (as recommended by Chiark, above) versus the VHF radio types (as recommended, I believe, by doctor CLIFFORD, AlarmRus and others)?

I have read various threads stating that the GPS/GSM types are easy to jam (although, as an electronics engineer, I find it difficlult to believe that it is any harder to jam the VHF types). There are also various scare stories of police forces not having many (or any) VHF tracker equipped cars (again, hard to believe). However, there are a number of threads about tracker equipped cars that are not recovered, so this must either be down to the capabilities of the unit/control centre, or the quality of the installation.

I would hasten to add that I don't have an axe to grind in either direction, I am just interested to find out what is and isn't true (i.e. filter out the subjecture from the 'bloke in the pub'). As it happens, my car has a GPS/GSM system, as recommended by the Subaru dealer and a number of installers. However, I'm not too proud to admit I might have f**ked up, and bought the wrong system.

Old 16 September 2003, 05:09 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
i got tracker monitor installed, but as to which system being best I suppose it's a case of "the proof is in the eating" meaning you won't really know how good your selected system is until your motor gets nicked and you hopefully get it back.