Notices

alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2003, 04:02 PM
PPPscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
regarding the standard CAT 1 alarm fitted to UK spec turbo's, does the ultrasonics work on these. I locked the car with the windows down, waited a minute or so and stuck my hand back in through the open window and the alarm didnt sound, i could basically stick half my body into the car, touch the ulrasonic sensor and nothing happened. Does the same thing on a friends P1. Anyone else found this, and has anybody tried to get this fixed under warranty???
Old 15 June 2003, 10:30 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

You can turn the ultrasonics on and off and I think some dealers turned them off to stop the alarm being set off in the showroom.

Can't remember how you turn them on and off, but the option should be in the alarm manual which a lot of chaps on here have and will probably be willing to help you with.

Failing that, ask your dealer if they can tell you how to turn them on/off and then try it.
Old 16 June 2003, 09:00 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Taken from the manual (not Subaru's version)how to test the ultrasonics.

The ultrasonic system in the Sigma M30 employs a sophisticated micro processor controlled method of detection. Unlike conventional ultrasonic detectors this method ensures that an actual entry has occurred rather than just air movement, air pressure fluctuation, seat belt movement etc.
The detection system also employs a movement/time method where a certain amount of movement in a given time is required to cause a trigger.
This method of detection offers a high level of protection against false alarms commonly associated with other systems employing inferior methods of detection

In order to test the operation of the ultrasonics it is important to understand how they works when the system is initially armed:

 For the first 16 seconds (settle time) the system allows the air movement inside the vehicle to stabilise. (During this period the LED flashes dimly)
 During the next 16 seconds (threshold settle time) the microprocessor monitors the interior of the vehicle - reducing the sensitivity (from the maximum sensitivity programmed by the installer, if necessary to suit the interior and climate. (During this period the LED flashes brightly - latching on for a second only if movement is detected and the sensitivity has been reduced)
 After the first 32 seconds the system is now fully armed and the ultrasonic sensitivity is set to the programmed maximum or the reduced level if some movement was detected during the “threshold settle time”.(LED now flashing dimly)

Because of the way the ultrasonics operate, if there is a disturbance within the “threshold settle time” the ultrasonics will re-adjust to compensate for this disturbance, if the movement is excessive the ultrasonics may turn themselves off. This re-adjustment can be detected by the dash mounted LED changing from flashing, to a static state for a second. This may happen if the ultrasonics are tested in windy conditions with a window open. If this is the case then the folowing test method can be performed:

Close all doors, bonnet and windows sitting yourself in the rear of the vehicle. Arm the alarm system keeping very still, and observe the dash LED during the “settle time” and then the “theshold settle time”. The LED must remain flashing and should not latch on. After these 2 periods the LED will then flash dimmly again, moving your head forward now should trigger the alarm.

Old 16 June 2003, 01:13 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Thumbs up

Thanks Scooby towers thats very helpful ,I had a similar problem when I got my Scooby and you seem to have sorted it for me ...you is de man !
Old 16 June 2003, 02:23 PM
PPPscooby
Scooby Regular

thanks, i'll give that a go mate

edited to add:

Also i heard your the man to get me a m30 manual, you think you could mail it me or send me a link to where i can get it from.

[Edited by PPPscooby - 6/16/2003 2:47:13 PM]
Old 16 June 2003, 03:21 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

manual on its way !
Old 16 June 2003, 06:16 PM
PPPscooby
Scooby Regular

cheers mate, got it,