Notices

window tints - security as such ?????

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2003, 08:35 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonder what the general opinion is off having dark tinted windows for security purposes ?? have recently purchased my car which has these fitted already, not overly dark but dark enough to not see in with any clearness and must admit that I do feel more happy with the thought that out off sight / out off mind regarding any interior goodies fitted !! anyone any confirmation off this ?? any stories to tell ?? !!
cheers,
john...
Old 03 April 2003, 08:50 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

John,

A mate well into his stereo was advised by police (!) to have windows tinted for two reasons:

- people don't know what's inside
- much more difficult to smash the glass even if they do want something.

I'm seriously thinking about tinting my MY03 wagon. With the deadlocks that come as standard, it'll make it a little more difficult.
Old 04 April 2003, 07:16 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Im having mine tinted for a couple of reasons

1. The visible and smash security aspect.
2. My baby in the back wakes up and cries if the sun is in his eyes(couldnt find sunglasses small enough).
3. if you have a accident it holds the glass together and prevents the glass coming into the cabin like the front windscreen does by law.
Old 04 April 2003, 07:21 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

ohh I forgot to add check around for prices, There arent that many manufacturers of this stuff so materials are fairly constant but the fitting price varies wildly. I was quoted upwards of £500 but dr clifford is doing me an amazing deal of £45 per window.

I wouldnt recommend a mobile fitting at your home as the environment it needs to be fitted in needs to be completely dust free (so I am told) or you will got rubbish under the film and it will look terrible.

Im getting mine fitted soon so I will post the results with maybe a piccy if I can figure out how to do it.

ohh yes I forgot by law you are only allowed a light tint on the front sides (no more the 35%). you can get places to fit darker than this but they warn you against the possible police agrow. 35% is a nice charcoal grey not completely blacked out.