Notices

Bad time @ Greersport

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2006, 12:16 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad time @ Greersport

Few people wanted to know about the bad time i had at greersport, so this is what happened:

I was there for decat & header fitting and a few other parts, was told it would be 4-5hrs. I had to wait there for most that time as i'd nowhere to go. They had it for 8.5 hours. No apologies for the delay or anything.

When done, it was making a racket. They said the gasket had gone and the garages were shut, so i would have to come back tomorrow. (But if they knew it was shot when taking it off, why not do something/mention it then?).

So i limped the car 70 miles to edinburgh with CEL, then sourced a gasket and limped it back the next day. They changed it, and it was still making a loud noise. At this point i'm there for nearly two hours!! After phoning ahead and pre-booking a time as i couldn't be late.

Then he mentioned that the lambda sensor had been wrapped on the headers and tried to pass blame on the guy who supplied the headers. Basically, he took the sensor off the original, then never put it back on the new ones.

If i had had any cats, it would of destroyed them and made the car run extremely rich, who knows what damage would've occurred.

So saving some money going to them nearly trashed my car. It costs me an extra 140 miles of fuel, which we all know is about £20. Plus i had to take 1.5 days off work and i'm paid by the hour, so i lost more than double what it cost to fit it.

They wont be getting my business again!! Nice people and all & seemed like they knew there stuff, and i thought i'd finally found a decent and well priced garage.

Be warned !!!!!
Old 28 May 2006, 01:41 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

I myself, have never been a fan of Bill. He's one of those, do as i say, sort of fellows. I quite simply didn't get along with him at all...never had the time of day for me, which is NOT good in my book.

I AM surprised, they never even had any gaskets at all, in the first place.
Old 28 May 2006, 01:51 PM
p1ggm
Scooby Regular

everyone seems to be raving about them on sidc too

never been there myself
Old 28 May 2006, 01:57 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Guy i know, who's brother always uses them, took his near enough brand new STi blobeye to them, to be told that he should uprate the fuel pump(that's fine in my eyes), replace the centre section, with a decat(again...fine) and fit an extrenal wastegate...............WHAT?!???!

This guy never mods his car's and didn't know what these parts would do, but he DID know what Bill was telling him to fit to the car. I laughed and reckoned Bill was clearly looking to get money out him, no matter what it took. His brother, like i said, uses them, but he drops his car off and says fix/mod it. I'd hate to see the invoices for the work been done! And he has had the engine blow up, numerous times....3 door cossie.
Old 28 May 2006, 03:37 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't comment on the experiences you guys have had but I've used Greer's many times and always been given great service and been pleased with the results. They're far from expensive too.

It wouldn't be the first time that Bill and the guys have bent over backwards to fit me in at short notice and help me out.

One thing I will say is that jobs can take longer than expected but thats because of the number of people that drop in to get free advice and diagnostics.
Old 28 May 2006, 03:45 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Surely if a car is booked in for work and the person has been quoted a completion time of c5hrs then that should take priority rather than just leaving that on the ramps in bits while the 'regulars' pop in for a blether about their car/weather/fault codes etc... Sounds like poor business to me, no wonder they have dissatisfied customers if thats their approach.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 28 May 2006, 03:47 PM
Alan wrx-sti
Scooby Regular

I like quite a lot of people use greer's - and I for one think there work is top notch A1, all the work they have done for me head gaskets, new radiator, new clutch, headers, fuel pump etc, etc,etc... Bill, colin, Alan and Jason have always been up front with me with prices and timescales and they have always made me feel welcome when ever I pop by or am in getting work done.
Old 28 May 2006, 04:43 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Maybe they value old customers, more than new one's....
Old 28 May 2006, 04:59 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gaz contacted me on the evening asking how long the job should have taken and putting me to task for not supplying new gaskets. I guessed the work would take 4 maybe 5 hours but I could not understand why an 03 car would need new header gaskets and even if it did that would be obvious when the headers were removed. As a complete set of 6 gaskets is around £60 with VAT we reuse the gaskets in an intelligent way and in 9 out of 10 cases no new gaskets are needed although I do keep them in stock.
Next day I was told by Gaz that Greer's were attempting to blame me for heat wrapping over the Lambda bung hole.
My normal practice is to cut away the heat wrap from the hole with a stanley knife and while I cannot swear I did that on this occasion, chances are I did.
Whether I did or did not this is no excuse for a competant mechanic failing to put the Lambda sensor back in the hole on the collector. Maybe a young mechanic that should have been closely supervised did the work but whatever happened, they should have heard to problem as the car was removed from the ramp and sending a car away without the Lambda sensor in position is scandalous. They took it out. What did they do with it in the meantime ? How can such a blatant mistake be made.

Last edited by harvey; 28 May 2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 28 May 2006, 05:57 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Very surprised by this now Harvey. I know the work you send out and no-one could POSSIBLY find a fault there....i know how pernikety(sp?) you are with work. The RIGHT way to be IMHO.

Just a shame your downsouth, cause i know you'd have plenty work up here to keep you busy.
Old 29 May 2006, 09:09 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Everyone makes mistakes, me included but taking a lambda sensor out to change the headers and not putting it back in and then identifying it as a gasket issue is a megga mistake and I don't understand how it is possible.
Trying to blame the man who ported the headers......that sort of sums up what the person who did the job is about. Not competant to do a simple job.

I offered to fit the headers for Gaz and do some other bits but the 150ml return journey ie 300 ml round trip put him off. By sods law that would infact have been both quicker and less money.
Old 29 May 2006, 09:31 AM
dar scoob
Scooby Newbie

Default hi

Hi Harvey,
The trip for me was well worth it, no problem with my headers
Murray.
Old 29 May 2006, 03:26 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I've stirred up a hornets nest here...

Bill from Greer called. Via the gossip grapevine he had heard about this post and wanted to know why i didn't say anything. Well apologies for that, i was getting round to, but i was getting PMs and i thought i would post it.

Harvey, i suggest you give him a call on 01505 683 388. He is blaming your work with the lambda sensor.

I am only going on what i've been told and i'm caught in the middle.

I pre-booked a time for my car to come in, it took double that time and i still had to go back. The money i saved on going there was not saved, as i lost hundreds in lost revenue, so didn't gain anything. And i'm supposed to be happy about that??!?
Old 29 May 2006, 04:27 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

The little birdie can be seen explaining himself here...

Cheers,
Grant
Old 29 May 2006, 05:01 PM
shocker
Scooby Regular

every one makes mistakes now and again and no harm was done

ive been and used greers a few times and got a great job done
shocker
Old 29 May 2006, 05:34 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I find it amusing that the blame is trying to be shifted by the accused... Surely they know a car needs a Lambda Sensor, surely they have fitted wrapped headers before, surely they would have had a wee look at them before fitting... noticed the covered hole & rectified the minor problem.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 29 May 2006, 05:50 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I've just read the posts on SIDC.

Yes people do good jobs and bad. I've never used them before and read up first before going. I say it as it is and i don't mind blowing people trumpets if they do good work (Andy F and Harvey have theirs coming!), at the same time i don't mind shouting out if they don't.

I just thought i was badly treated and told that to Bill when he called. I lost money over the matter and luckily nothing bad happened to the car, which was most important.

My comments are not gonna stop people using them, but people should also hear the bad as well as the good.

Bill even admitted it was a bad day, but i just felt it could've been dealt with differently.

As for the comments on SIDC as to why didn't i fit it myself. I'm no mechanic and have always paid others to work on my cars. It keeps them in business. I don't have the time, knowledge nor tools to do it. I don't ask why people can't maintain RDBMs or program airline systems.

Last edited by GazTheHat; 29 May 2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 29 May 2006, 05:52 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
I find it amusing that the blame is trying to be shifted by the accused... Surely they know a car needs a Lambda Sensor, surely they have fitted wrapped headers before, surely they would have had a wee look at them before fitting... noticed the covered hole & rectified the minor problem.

Cheers,
Grant
True, but obviously not. Apparently everyone lOOked at the headers, because they were keen to see Harveys work etc. Just funny no-one noticed, so car sounded like a tank too.
Old 29 May 2006, 05:53 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shocker
every one makes mistakes now and again and no harm was done
shocker
True, but if i make a mistake a plane could fall out the sky or companies could lose millions.
Old 29 May 2006, 06:11 PM
Dan 2
Scooby Regular

Don't worry about the feed back on SIDC...It seems that if you don't praise people you just get slated..Each to their own i suppose.

ps; Glad your car is OK.
Old 29 May 2006, 11:45 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Gaz : Thanks for your post above. I havn't read what is on SIDC yet but will do later tonight or tomorrow when I find time.
I have nothing to phone Bill Greer about. I supplied you with a set of Option 2 ported headers including uppipe for your STi MY 04 as I have done with dozens of other people and never had a problem.
If Bill Greer is unhappy with anything I have said because it is inaccurate then he is very welcome to contact me but I am simply stating the facts as I know them to be. 07860 302020
You sent me an e-mail saying there was a gasket leak and you were returning the next day when you had obtained a replacement, but Greer's had looked at the porting and had said they were impressed. The next I heard from you that the suspect gasket was replaced but the car was still making a racket and it was then found that the Lambda sensor had not been replaced. Now I only know all this from you.
Anybody examining the porting would have seen the threaded hole for the Lambda sensor and whether I cut back the exhaust wrap on the external land for the Lambda sensor or not it is very obvious that there is a boss there for the Lambda even when the headers are wrapped.
Even now I am at a total loss to understand how a competant garage could omit to fit the Lambda which they removed from your original headers in the first place. Blaming me for all the problems because I did not remove a square inch of exhaust wrap (if I did not) is pretty rich, doubly so because I was led to believe they were around Subarus all the time.

On starting the engine to take the car off the ramp the noise would have been evident. Why was it not found then ?
When they took your original headers off, if you needed a new gasket, which is highly unlikely why was it not obtained at that time so it could be fitted on your car before you left that day.
Like I think I said above, we can all make mistakes and I would like to think that when I make a mistake I put my hands up. This may well be a one off by an apprentice who has never worked on a New Age STi but trying to blame me for failings at Greer Sport on this occasion is not on.
If Greer Sport think they have some gripe that involves me I am sure I will hear from them and I have no problem putting up the e-mails that passed between us, in chronological order which demonstrate exactly what happened and when.

At the end of the day you were a customer that went for 4 or 5 hours work that took substantially longer as sometimes happens but you were told you needed a gasket which should have been evident early in the day and the nub of the matter is that you had to return the following day with the gasket I understand you obtained yourself and it was only after the suspect gasket was replaced that it was discovered the Lambda sensor had not been put in the appropriate hole. Not much more I can say.... Enjoy the car now after all this hassle.

Last edited by harvey; 29 May 2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 30 May 2006, 09:46 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan 2
Don't worry about the feed back on SIDC...It seems that if you don't praise people you just get slated..Each to their own i suppose.

ps; Glad your car is OK.
So i noticed, hence i'll spend my time on SN.

Yes, the car is superb!!
Old 30 May 2006, 09:47 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Gaz : Thanks for your post above. I havn't read what is on SIDC yet but will do later tonight or tomorrow when I find time.
I have nothing to phone Bill Greer about. I supplied you with a set of Option 2 ported headers including uppipe for your STi MY 04 as I have done with dozens of other people and never had a problem.
If Bill Greer is unhappy with anything I have said because it is inaccurate then he is very welcome to contact me but I am simply stating the facts as I know them to be. 07860 302020
You sent me an e-mail saying there was a gasket leak and you were returning the next day when you had obtained a replacement, but Greer's had looked at the porting and had said they were impressed. The next I heard from you that the suspect gasket was replaced but the car was still making a racket and it was then found that the Lambda sensor had not been replaced. Now I only know all this from you.
Anybody examining the porting would have seen the threaded hole for the Lambda sensor and whether I cut back the exhaust wrap on the external land for the Lambda sensor or not it is very obvious that there is a boss there for the Lambda even when the headers are wrapped.
Even now I am at a total loss to understand how a competant garage could omit to fit the Lambda which they removed from your original headers in the first place. Blaming me for all the problems because I did not remove a square inch of exhaust wrap (if I did not) is pretty rich, doubly so because I was led to believe they were around Subarus all the time.

On starting the engine to take the car off the ramp the noise would have been evident. Why was it not found then ?
When they took your original headers off, if you needed a new gasket, which is highly unlikely why was it not obtained at that time so it could be fitted on your car before you left that day.
Like I think I said above, we can all make mistakes and I would like to think that when I make a mistake I put my hands up. This may well be a one off by an apprentice who has never worked on a New Age STi but trying to blame me for failings at Greer Sport on this occasion is not on.
If Greer Sport think they have some gripe that involves me I am sure I will hear from them and I have no problem putting up the e-mails that passed between us, in chronological order which demonstrate exactly what happened and when.

At the end of the day you were a customer that went for 4 or 5 hours work that took substantially longer as sometimes happens but you were told you needed a gasket which should have been evident early in the day and the nub of the matter is that you had to return the following day with the gasket I understand you obtained yourself and it was only after the suspect gasket was replaced that it was discovered the Lambda sensor had not been put in the appropriate hole. Not much more I can say.... Enjoy the car now after all this hassle.
Exactly!!
Old 30 May 2006, 09:57 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
So i noticed, hence i'll spend my time on SN.

Yes, the car is superb!!
Partly my fault, for adding to your news. I apologise.

Hope all is well with the car and you sort out any greivances.
Old 30 May 2006, 08:51 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

well it has put me off greersport as i am sure many of the others who have not posted
martin
Old 31 May 2006, 10:28 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Peter/fai 17.

Inadvertently, you have actually clarified the situation. This is good.

Here is what you said:

Subject: FAI 17

At 01:18

2.Then i noticed that on the collector pipe(where 4 pipes goes into one) it was COMPLETED wrapped and that there was no lambda sensor boss on it.So i asked Bill why this was as i knew there should have been one as i have a newage car?He said these ported headers may have came off an classic and the lambda was on the start of the downpipe on a classic..I thought ok then as i didn't know.
So you tell us there was no lambda sensor boss and discussed the fact there was no boss. Elsewhere you say you all had a good look at them .

BTW on a technical issue,
(where 4 pipes goes into one)
This is not the arrangement on O/E Subaru headers. Did you actually look at them.

At 15:10 you posted:

The guy supply the bits that was needed and the headers was all completed wrapped including over the lambda boss on which Bill didn't know it was there as it was underneath the wrapping.Once everything was fitted Bill thought the leak was coming from the gasket at the join between the headers and up pipe.He even told the guy about this and the guy put his hand up there to feel for himself.So Bill told him to get a new gasket.He couldn't get one from Nobles but one was available ay S&S.He paid for it over the phone with S&S and Jason went to collect it.
So the new gasket was fitted and the blow was still there!!!Upon further looking Bill then and only found out that the leak was coming from the lambda boss which was now partially showing.Bill then got a old lambda and fitted it....Job done.
So miraculously we now have a lambda boss. The position of the boss is on a land, very close to the flanged end and easy to see whether it is wrapped or not. I normally puncture the wrap at this point which aids the insertion of the sensor and expect I did this per normal practice.

Your second account is at devience with your first and exactly in line with what Gaz and I, independantly said. Thanks for the clarification.

I understand you want to wade in and defend your mates but do not tell porkies or falsely blame my workmanship.

BTW, Greer's told Gaz they were impressed with the porting. You were not but then you do not know how headers work from your post above.
Old 31 May 2006, 11:24 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Without starting a SIDC vs SN, i feel a few things should be cleared up before putting this to bed. They're a right bunch on SIDC it seems. Spreadin muck and calling this place ****. If only some of the posters were actually telling the truth...

I for one have seen the stated car getting work done at Greers that day..It's a Black STI8 Type Uk...if i am correct.
Type EU, but close...

I don't know who fitted his mud flaps but it's been fitted wrong...the metal bracket is supposed to be behind/in front of the flaps and not sandwiched between the body work and the flaps.Did he relised that????I DON'T THINKS SO.
So i fitted them wrong, are you trying to undermine me? It has nothing to do with this matter BTW. I don't claim to be a mechanic i mainly pay others to do the work, normally they do a better job than myself. I'm sure i followed the instructions...

I am not defending Greers here but i am telling yous what i saw.
1.The wrapped and ported headers was laying on the garage floor under the car.It was all in pieces as they are when it's been taken apart.I had a right good look at them to see what porting has been done and thought to my self that it wasn't worth the £..... as Bill has ported/fitted original headers but not wrapped on G.Mac's car for alot and i mean ALOT LESS.
You get what you pay for. Harveys work is highly recommended. I paid less for the fitting than all the other gargages quoted and lOOk where that got me!

2.Then i noticed that on the collector pipe(where 4 pipes goes into one) it was COMPLETED wrapped and that there was no lambda sensor boss on it.So i asked Bill why this was as i knew there should have been one as i have a newage car?He said these ported headers may have came off an classic and the lambda was on the start of the downpipe on a classic..I thought ok then as i didn't know.

3.The ported/wrapped up pipe that was there was a new up pipe and not a ported original as it was a slip joint affair.It also have a egt boss which a newage STI don't have but Alan just blocked it off.Why was he sent an up pipe for a WRX and not a STI?
I have a Magnex slip joint up pipe with no egt boss...so they do make them.

4.He also had a Full decat fitted by Greersport aswell from Scooby world(i think)..upon opening the packaging for the decat downpipe and decat centre section Bill said that they did not supply a fitting kit(gasket) with the exhaust.The start of this downpipe had a lambda boss on it as well as the decat center pipe.I thought this was strange as the lambda/o2 sensor on newage STI should be on the/infront of the center cat and not on the downpipe.
I ordered the exhaust, gave my car details and that's what arrived. Do companies normally supply gaskets? I don't know, but what has this got to do with anything? It's far from my fault. But it wont hamper fitting the exhaust on this age of car. KwikFit never moaned when they fit the backbox.

5.I asked Alan/Bill where is the lambda from the header was going to go?.They said that they will put it on the downpipe where there is a spare lambda boss.OK i thought as classic has that set up which i have just learnt.
So maybe the lambda wiring wasn't long enough to stretch to the downpipe from the headers and that was the reason for not being able to fit the lambda.I don't know why but i will ask Bill about this when i see him next time when i'mgetting my new turbo fitted
At this point i had to leave to go back to my work so i did'nt see the finished job as i would liked to been there to hear what the Scoobyword Afterburner sound like.
Sounds awesome, but a bit loud on daily driving. Full boost almost makes up for it. But a bung from H&S will sort that out.

Sometimes it's not the garage fault if the stuff brought in for fitting it's not complete with all the stuff that it's needed to fit it.I have done this myself in the past.
So my point is that there is aways 2 side to every story and that you do need to be there to see for yourself what the script was.
But you seem to be adding a third story, as this is not what happened and these are your comments. If the Greers would like to make a comment, then that is up to them, but your voicing on their behalf is mostly factually incorrect.

There was nothing wrong with the parts i ordered, according to the suppliers. What happened during fitting was a shambles and i voiced that. People should hear about the good and the bad. I'm sure it will not stop people going to Greer - that was not my intention. I just vented my frustration with what happened and warned people.

Also the guy said he had to wait for 8 hours in the garage.....i don't think so as he disappeared in a Black Skoda Fabia VRS as i wanted to speak to him about the mud flaps.
I was there for 9.25 hours (9:15am - 6:30pm) actually, but i removed the 45 mins i left and then came back because it was undriveable. That still detracts from the fact i was there the whole day when i was told numerous times 4-5hrs.

I called my wifey to come and meet me for dinner, whilst she had a spare 1.5 hrs, to break up the time i was waiting. During this time i would've been happy to go to Ayr to get the gaskets too, if i would've been informed there was a problem, if they would've actually been the problem.

I do speak to alot of scooby owners when i'm down there and try to promote SIDC too.
If he was that unhappy......did he gave them the chance to sort the problem out?
They sorted the problem out eventually, yes they were nice people and i had a good chat, but nothing can take back the time/money i lost, i would of felt guilty asking for money back, as they did it for a low price anyway. TBH, i wouldn't want to leave my car there again. Other garages deserve a chance and might do a better job.

As far as i'm concerned this matter is resolved. 2 of the 3 parties know where the blame has lied and I've learned my lesson. End of.
Old 01 June 2006, 07:54 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Indeed, End of. Thread locked.