Modded Scoob V's Standard Evo6

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2001, 10:04 PM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Guys,

Thought I would post this in “Scotland” to get the opinion of some of the local guys.

The scenario is I have a MY00 with de-cat center/Magnex backbox, K&N panel, 17’s, Cibies and half decent stereo install.

I’m now looking for a bit more performance and have been pricing some suspension mods, a downpipe and perhaps a link or similar. The cost of which all mount up.

I have only done 13k (quite gentle) miles in 18 months in the car and it is starting to look a bit stone chipped at the front end, in another years time it could look pretty rough and is going to need paintwork.

I am now starting to think about the possibility of changing it for an Evo6.
Anyway, my question is how does a modded Scoob compare against a standard Evo6 GSR?

I realize the insurance and fuel costs of the Evo are greater but so is the performance.

Any opinions appreciated.

Chris

Old 18 October 2001, 10:15 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

only thing a 6 won't pass is a petrol station but they get my vote.a friend had one and it was awesome although they do not like rough roads as the suspension is a bit firm,whereas the scoob would soak up the bumps and give you confidence to push on.

john
Old 18 October 2001, 10:20 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

I too weighed up these pros and cons a little while ago! I too had an MY00 with PE Downpipe etc, unichip, K&N, Boost Controller, bumpsteer, P1 wheels and so on and so on.
The moral of the story is -
You are comparing a 218bhp car with not so high a spec handling as a P1 or Sti 6 to an Evo. Compare the P1 or similar and you have a case.
My car was a quick UK car but the Evo would beat it any day. I had already spent over 5000 quid on the scoob to get it to that stage and have now sold the bits on separately and traded her in + 5500 for an Evo VI with less miles and half a year older.
Personally I've made the right choice. You'll only know after driving one.
Good luck
Steve
P.S. My opinion from the Southern part of the board
Old 18 October 2001, 10:24 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

Tis true, the suspension is harder standard, but after the wheels, bumpsteer, antilift and strut brace, the scoob was a harder and crashier ride (if ya know what I mean) than the Evo and it still didn't handle as good.
If you've ever been to the Isle of Wight, you'll know what bumpy roads are! As twenty plus scoobies are going to find out tommorrow.
Steve
Old 18 October 2001, 10:43 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

another thing is they eat the standard clutch fairly early,so if it is not uprated you would be better budgeting for one.

Rosco is right,it is in a different league to a uk scoob.
Old 22 October 2001, 05:04 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

my own experience my car was faster than my friends EVO VI which is not standard in a straight line. i have overtaken a lot of EVO VI on various tracks. but my car is not standard

the EVO handles a lot better than mine though, the level of grip is in a different league to all imprezas
Old 22 October 2001, 05:36 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

I took a P1 and a UK scooby owner out in my Evo on Sunday and they were both amazed by the level of grip and sure footedness the Evo gives!
I'll find out at Donno as to how impressed I am with on the limit handling! I always got frustrated with my scoob feeling that I was restricted with understeer when trying to power out of corners. The only way I ever managed to get the back end out was to brake into a corner or to flick it in quickly and let off the gas, but my tyres suffered badly from this.
I'm not saying I know how to drive, but the car didn't suit my driving style and I felt I couldn't be smooth with it!
Steve
Old 23 October 2001, 02:39 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Rosco,

that sounds exactly like my car on track.did the P1 owner feel much difference in performance between the 2 cars as there is a fully decatted P1 doing track days up here and it is one of the fastest scoobs I have seen.don't know if Sam ever went up against it but it did seem to get past my car quicker than his up the Knockhill main straight,before the front mount was fitted to Sam's.

john
Old 23 October 2001, 05:40 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

He didn't make many comments about the power as Evos go through the gears a lot quicker where they are lower geared, so it's difficult to compare. I'm sure I'll come across one at Donno!
Steve
Old 24 October 2001, 12:40 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi guys,

Couldn`t resist any longer, gotta check my 2p in on this one
At crail when i used to drag my @ the time slightly "uprated" 93/94YM wrx (before i started eating gearboxes) it had been up against numerous evo5 s and a couple of 6 s. Yet only one of the six`s took it over the 1/4. Possibly the guys in the Evo`s jus didn`t know how to drag or were outta practice ?? But you can be sure that with the right upgrades & driver a scoob is every bit as good as an evo. Providing you can get the power down qwick without wheel spining
BTW uk gearbox ratios r jus to long IMHO

Pete
Old 24 October 2001, 11:33 AM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies guys.

As much as I fancy an EVO, I just don't think I could justify £6000-ish and insurance over my MY00 for what could be a slightly older car. Also, as I've had my Scoob from new, at least I know the way it has been treated/driven etc.

Right now, I think I would rather spend less than the £6k on a toy specifically for trackdays/Sunday runs.......Westfield, Ducati 748, Aprillia RS250 who knows??????
Old 24 October 2001, 09:23 PM
Dave Brown
Scooby Regular

Pete

Dont you mean..UK gearboxes last too long

No-ones mentioned the difference between the Evo GSR & RS.There used to be a white RS, regular @ Crail that ran low 12's...almost a match for my old car

I've had a few runs against a 6 GSR with my scooby, times were almost identical & races were won with a good launch technique.

Havent had the opportunity of a bit of 'backroad sport' with one yet.....

Dave
Old 25 October 2001, 10:01 AM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Red face

Having owned both, the Evo is easier to break the 300bhp barrier, with slight mods, exhaust and filter. Where the Scoob has to have a bucket full of money thrown at it to achieve this. Even the Sti's, with what I have read on this BBS.

As Dave mentioned...if you want quick of the mark, there is not a lot in the Evos and Scoob, although launch technique makes a lot of diff.

Handling is a matter of taste, the Scoob is better in some areas whereas not a lot would live with the Evo on others. I've had the car over a year and still cannot get used to....trust...the AYC unit. The first time this kicks in, it is truly an experience.

The E6 RS models are a lot lighter with short ratio boxes, very similar to the Impreza RA, where the E6 GSR has longer gearing, but still bloody quick.

Insurance is slightly higher. I was around £600-700 for the UK Impreza and I'm £900 for the Evo. Full NCB and 32.

Best thing to do is drive one, that's what I done and had it on the road a few days later

...John
Old 25 October 2001, 12:51 PM
Bal
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I picked up my EVO 6 GSR last week, PX the MY00 Turbo.
I had good fun in the scoob but the grip is fantastic compared to the scoob and the power is AMAZING!
The main reason I actually purchased the EVO is its exclusivity. I mean -> I've seen NONE since I picked it up + EVERYONE looks.
You just feel like a god + no rattles.

do itttttttttttttt.
Bal
ps. I do miss the dump valve on the scoob.

Old 25 October 2001, 06:30 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

Talking

Funny you should mention Dump Valve! That's something I feel is a deffo must with the Evo. There is more gear change lag with it!
I did exactly the same with my MY00, took an Evo out for a test drive and that made my mind up instantly.
I've got to say I don't worry as much about the Evo where it's second hand even though it cost more and I had the scoob from new!
Where I live there are plenty of scoobies and only 1 Evo 6 and 1 Evo 4, so yes they certainly aint common and yes it does get plenty of people pointing and looks.
Steve
Old 25 October 2001, 06:53 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

Talking

Funny you should mention Dump Valve! That's something I feel is a deffo must with the Evo. There is more gear change lag with it!
I did exactly the same with my MY00, took an Evo out for a test drive and that made my mind up instantly.
I've got to say I don't worry as much about the Evo where it's second hand even though it cost more and I had the scoob from new!
Where I live there are plenty of scoobies and only 1 Evo 6 and 1 Evo 4, so yes they certainly aint common and yes it does get plenty of people pointing and looks.
Steve