Notices

Borders Meet II - Sunday 24th September

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2000, 10:19 AM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

The SIDC returns to the Scottish Borders! This promises to be one of the best driving days ever as we head south towards Twynholm and the <B>David Coulthard Museum</B>.

Details of the precise route with maps etc. will be provided on the day. The roads will provide a tremendous challenge and feature some brilliant scenery - don't miss it.

There are two meeting points based on whether you are in the North or South and you can choose which one you prefer:

The first meeting point is the service area of A F Nobles Subaru Garage in Penicuik at 10am (service area) which is suitable for those in Central or North Scotland - we'll be leaving Nobles at 11am.

or

For those in the South that don't want to come to Penicuik just to go South again, you can meet us in Moffat. There is a public park next to the Benmar Esso petrol station on the main road through Moffat, the park has a car park opposite it - meet us there at 11.45am.

Lunch will be at Auchen Castle just outside Moffat - we need an idea of numbers for lunch so please let us know if you plan to come by using the contact details below.

Please contact Martin Dobbie using
Old 18 September 2000, 07:27 PM
John Gorman
Scooby Regular

I`m up for some of that. The first meet was a roit. Have mailed Martin.

C YA...
Old 19 September 2000, 02:56 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

John,

How many signed up so far?

I was going to go to Northern Meet 4, but this one is much closer to home. The lunch stop and museum visit also add to the appeal.

I've e-mailed Martin re: details and hopefully he'll reply soon.
I'm not a SIDC member yet, though I posted my cheque last week. Will this prevent me from being able to attend?

Cheers

Rich
Old 19 September 2000, 04:00 PM
JohnS

Hi Rich,

I think we are expecting between 10 and 20 cars, so not nearly as big as the Northern Meet 4. Some good quality roads though

Martin should reply soon, as he is just not long set-up his home PC

No problems about not being a member, as all are welcome.

[This message has been edited by JohnS (edited 19 September 2000).]
Old 21 September 2000, 05:08 PM
Martin D
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Here are some further details on the day.

The first meeting point is the service area of A F Nobles Subaru garage in Penicuik - for those of you who came along to the first Borders Meet, its the same place as last time. For those coming along for the first time, the showroom itself is on Edinburgh Road, Penicuik, which is the main street that runs straight through the town. Opposite the showroom there are some shops and behind them is the service area of Nobles, which is situated within Eastfield Industrial Estate. If anyone fails to find it just ask at the showroom or stop a passer by and they'll point you in the right direction. We'll be meeting here from 10am and leaving at 10.45am'ish. We'll then be heading out of Penicuik and towards Blyth Bridge on the A701, A72 and then the A701 to Moffat and taking in the fantastic 'Devil's Beef Tub'.

On arriving in Moffat we'll be heading towards the Benmar Esso filling station which is situated on the main road through Moffat. Next to it is a public park and opposite that is a car park where we'll meet everyone that decided not to come up to Penicuik just to come south again. We should arrive at the car park at 11.30-11.45am. There will of course be the opportunity for anyone to fill up their tank at this point, if required.

From the car park, we'll be heading for Auchen Castle Hotel for lunch, which will be from 12pm to 1pm'ish. The hotel is very easy to find. We just continue out of Moffat and a couple of miles along the A701 we come to a roundabout which will take you onto the M74 if you're not careful. We're going straight over and heading for the next roundabout and passing under a bridge with the motorway running over it. At the second roundabout, which is called the Beattock Roundabout, there will be a sign for Abington and Auchen Castle on the B7076. Its all well sign posted.

After lunch we'll be heading for Lochmaben on the A701 very briefly and then on to the B7020. We'll then take the A709 to Dumfries. On entering Dumfries we'll re-group in the car park of Sainsbury's Homebase, which you can't miss on entering Dumfries. A few of the local lads coming along to the meet are then going to lead us on to some of the local roads which I'm assured are superb. Basically though, we'll be heading for Dalbeattie on the A710. From there we'll be going to Kirkcudbright on the A711 - Twynholm is then just a few miles from there on the A75. Chances are that we'll re-group in Kirkcudbright anyway so no one should get lost. The museum is open until 4pm, but there will be no rush to close even if we're a wee bit late in arriving, which we shouldn't be.

Maps and more details will be handed out on the day but for the meantime I hope the above is enough to keep you all from getting lost. For those of you coming from anywhere south of Moffat (Bolton and Guernsey included) you'd be best just meeting us at Moffat at 11.30am or, if you miss us there, at the hotel which we hope to leave at around 1pm.

Costs

- Its £2 to get in to the Museum, but I'm trying to arrange a group discount and will confirm the cost on the day.
- Lunch will depend on how much you eat, but everyone usually just pays for themselves.

Mileage

Penicuik to Twynholm its approximately 115 miles. If you're meeting us in Moffat it'll only be about 70 miles.

Numbers

Expecting between 16 and 20 cars.

If anyone has any further questions please just let me know by return e-mail. I look forward to seeing you all on Sunday.

Thanks

Old 25 September 2000, 09:02 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Martin,

Thanks for organising a great day out!
Both Esther and I thouroughly enjoyed it.

Shame about the weather later on, but at least we had a clear dry run down the 'Beef Tubs'

Lunch stop was excellent (well done for finding that place!)
DC Museum was pretty good too.

Nice to meet a few other friendly faces...

See you on the next one!

Rich
(Silver MY00 4 door with SS exhaust and (fake) STi nose badge.)
Old 25 September 2000, 07:40 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Martin,

We thoroughly enjoyed the day and, in fact, have never enjoyed the local roads as much! It's a pity it rained but it didn't really spoil the day although some people had a long way to go home. Travelling in a convoy was great as always and one of the things that sticks in my mind is the roar from the Blitz exhaust on Robert's Evo 6 as he gave it some stick to overtake on the Dalbeattie-Dumfries road on the way home - at one point I swear that the windows in my car rattled!! Our convoy also seemed to be appreciated by some of the local kids who gave us the thumbs up as we passed through the villages!Hope everybody got home safe - see you all at the next one.

Raymond.

PS: Rich I didn't get round to asking you but I wondered about that pink badge all afternoon.............!!

[This message has been edited by RaymondH (edited 25 September 2000).]
Old 25 September 2000, 10:00 PM
Robert
Scooby Newbie

Superb day out

Will definately return to sample more of your excellant driving roads.

Lunch stop was "top", route "interesting", & the Coulthard Musuem well worth a visit - if only for the scones & cream

Many thanks go to Martin, Raymond & Stuart for organising the get together & for making us EVO driving Sasanachs (spelling?) so welcome

Raymond - your car also sounds very tasty when pressing on!

Hope to see you guys again.