Notices

Window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2004, 08:54 AM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Window tinting

Where are the recommended (and not so recommended!) places to get this done in the edinburgh area?
Old 28 May 2004, 10:49 AM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

Magma in Bathgate is supposed to be good.

Excellent is Pentagon but a bit more pricey I think.

Brian.
Old 28 May 2004, 01:22 PM
EddieC
Scooby Regular

what exactly are the rules on tints

was following the thread earlier in the week about the folk in Perth area being stopped and done so am a bit reluctant to spend then have to remove them on some coppers whim ?
Old 28 May 2004, 01:40 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Magma in bathgate done mines & done a wicked job
Old 28 May 2004, 02:01 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddieC
what exactly are the rules on tints

was following the thread earlier in the week about the folk in Perth area being stopped and done so am a bit reluctant to spend then have to remove them on some coppers whim ?
Essentially, the rules are a total ban on ALL front tinting forward of the B-Pillar (ie front winscreen and driver and passenger doors). Must be below a 35% on the sides and 30% on the front screen and most cars have well over 20% as standard - someone said Subaru is 28% out of the factory. People with even 35 or 36% are being fined and told to get them removed - if they don't and are stopped again its a bigger fine and points too

So even a light smoke at the front breaches the new guidelines, which are also retrospective - ie not just applying to cars tinted after Jan 1st this year.

I had mine removed (fitted and then removed) by Pentagon. I still have the rear of the car done and I quite like jap look to my car now.

IMHO not worth the hassle fitting them, paying for them, getting stopped and fined and possibly points, having to pay to get them removed (Pentagon do it free), pay the fine and put up with all the hassle too.

Hope that helps but there are tons of other threads on here. Some companies will fit front tints but tell you if you are ever stopped then they will deny fitting them etc.

Brian
Old 28 May 2004, 02:23 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I beleive that JVS in Loanhead does tints.

Mac.
Old 28 May 2004, 02:52 PM
stiks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxmania
Essentially, the rules are a total ban on ALL front tinting forward of the B-Pillar (ie front winscreen and driver and passenger doors). Must be below a 35% on the sides and 30% on the front screen and most cars have well over 20% as standard - someone said Subaru is 28% out of the factory. People with even 35 or 36% are being fined and told to get them removed - if they don't and are stopped again its a bigger fine and points too

So even a light smoke at the front breaches the new guidelines, which are also retrospective - ie not just applying to cars tinted after Jan 1st this year.

I had mine removed (fitted and then removed) by Pentagon. I still have the rear of the car done and I quite like jap look to my car now.

IMHO not worth the hassle fitting them, paying for them, getting stopped and fined and possibly points, having to pay to get them removed (Pentagon do it free), pay the fine and put up with all the hassle too.

Hope that helps but there are tons of other threads on here. Some companies will fit front tints but tell you if you are ever stopped then they will deny fitting them etc.

Brian
Was adjacent to Penatgon in Stirling earlier this week, and they were putting heavy tints on an X5..... is this rule being applied evenly across the car spectrum i.e are the Merc ML's,and beemers geting thw tug aswell ???

Keith
Old 28 May 2004, 03:14 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be, but all depends on local plod. Some like pulling Impreza's instead of X5's on school runs
Old 28 May 2004, 03:57 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by stiks
Was adjacent to Penatgon in Stirling earlier this week, and they were putting heavy tints on an X5..... is this rule being applied evenly across the car spectrum i.e are the Merc ML's,and beemers geting thw tug aswell ???

Keith
Stiks -

I thought that was why youschool run mums bought an X5 - so you could get a tug (in the dark of course)?!?

Pentagon seemed quite clear about it that it was for ..... ahem - dislaimer now .......... "For off road use only" which is like decorative number plates etc - NOT!!!

X5's seem to be oblgatory with HUGE tints - hope they get stopped too - all is fair, especially as they seem to like dark smoke all round!

See you tonight Stiks - you comin' yeah (after that tug)?

Brian

Old 29 May 2004, 01:31 AM
west lothian scooby
Scooby Regular

i got my tints done at magma today, they were a bit slower than they said they would be, but the end result was good. !!!

i will keep you posted on how they dry out , etc.

stevie
Old 30 May 2004, 12:09 AM
pmacFTO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by west lothian scooby
i got my tints done at magma today, they were a bit slower than they said they would be, but the end result was good. !!!

stevie
I read the Lothian & Borders police don't have the required light tester so they are only doing ppl with very obviously too dark tints...
Old 30 May 2004, 01:37 AM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Only a matter of time though
Old 31 May 2004, 01:44 PM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxmania
Only a matter of time though

I spoke to a copper today who bought my old CTR which had quite heavy tints and she said that hers were fine and that most of the time you'll only get pulled for tints if they are ridiculously dark, or you're doing something else the coppers don't like.
The same copper also told me she had a traffic cop mate who has a mitsu Shogun with 85% tints all the way round, one rule for us........, eh?
Old 31 May 2004, 08:02 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by west lothian scooby

stevie
Stevie - mines were all dried out when i got mines back

must be the dampness the wagons got & its likeness for dogs eh???????????
Old 31 May 2004, 08:10 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

I believe L & B police or at least the Vehicle Inspectorate or whatever their official title is, that operate in the L & B area DO have the required meter/testing eqt : I believe that installing tints that bring a legal light transmission level to below the legal limit COULD (I'm not 100% sure on this) resulting the car driver/owner AND the fitter being prosecuted. Installing them and advising that they are for off road use only will not wash : with number plates at least it is quite feasible to easily install a legal set for driving on the road and a 2nd set for shows etc : the same cannot be said for tinted windows so a car that leaves, for example, Pentagon, with 50% tints is not going to be driven with 1 set of windows on the road and a 2nd set wapped for on-road use.

Fitting illegal tints is I guess your choice as to whether you want to pay for them to be fitted, and then risk possibly getting fined and then having to pay again and have the hassle of getting them removed.