Notices

Sad Sight :(

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2004, 12:12 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sad Sight :(

Never had this happen to me before, but i've had my first ever experience of having my car flat-bedded away. Not a pretty sight. Totally scunnered and awaiting my hire car
Old 19 April 2004, 12:19 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what happened?
Old 19 April 2004, 12:26 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Suspected Suspension problems. I had a v.near miss with a hedgerow and trees last night, when the front end went a bouncy and a wandering. New pants anyone!!
Old 19 April 2004, 12:29 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Eeek!

Sounds like you had a lucky escape mate - not a good feeling I'd imagine

Hopefully it'll be back and in fine fettle asap
Old 19 April 2004, 12:35 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Sounds like your usual driving style to me

At least it's not being taken away with engine probs. I take it Nobles took it away for a look?
Old 19 April 2004, 12:54 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Called subaru assistance. Very helpful. Mechanic type chap here within the hour, flatbed 20mins later. They organised Dymock to transport it to Nobles. Hire car agreed in principle and I am being collected to go and pick it up. First time I've ever had to use this tpye of service and I'm pretty impressed so far.

My usual driving style...
Old 19 April 2004, 01:08 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Old 19 April 2004, 04:05 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

John,

Sorry to hear that - any news from Nobles yet about the car? Hope it is an easy fix - bad luck though.

Brian.
Old 19 April 2004, 04:58 PM
STI-NUTTER
Scooby Regular

bad luck m8

but got to say it looks quite coll sitting on the flatbed

K
Old 19 April 2004, 05:19 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Yes mate there is news, but due to the nature of it I cannot discuss it here at the moment. Perplexed, confused and a wee tiny bit annoyed.

On the up side I now have a luverly vectra-wagon.....yeah right, it's total Kak....
Old 19 April 2004, 06:03 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that john, hope all is well soon mate.

Paul
Old 19 April 2004, 07:47 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Any new John?
Old 19 April 2004, 08:06 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Brian, yes I've been contacted by the dealer. As I mentioned above I won't post details until I know more tomorrow. I'm still confused and a little annoyed. Hopefully it'll all get cleared up then, and I'll get my car back soon. Although my fondness off scooby ownership has took a dive today...time for a change me-thinks!!

I had a look earlier on before coming to work at the incident site....I'm a very very lucky boy and for what m8? Driving a piece of JapCrap quickly? What's to say it'll not happen again. What's the point of having something like that and not being able to use it because it just MAY throw you into a tree.

Last edited by evojkp; 20 April 2004 at 02:28 AM.
Old 19 April 2004, 08:22 PM
jimmymc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evojkp
Brian, yes I've been contacted by the dealer. As I mentioned above I won't post details until I know more tomorrow. I'm still confused and a little annoyed. Hopefully it'll all get cleared up then, and I'll get my car back soon. Although my fondness off scooby ownership has took a dive today...time for a change me-thinks!!

I had a look earlier on before coming to work at the incident site....I'm a very very lucky boy and for what m8? Driving a piece to JapCrap quickly? What's to say it'll not happen again. What's the point of having something like that and not being able to use it because it just MAY throw you into a tree.
I had the same feelings recently after my trip threw a fence at a horrible speed and i have been hopeing to get my confidence in the car back. Its not coming back as quick as id like so im thinking of getting a confidence boost from mitsubishi. . too many things have gone wrong with the car for my liking im not saying evo's are any better its just i reckon i need a change. im sure you feel the same way john as these cars should take a fair bit of a doin before killing you! hope your cars back on the road soon mate.
Old 20 April 2004, 12:24 AM
west lothian scooby
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear about this john, i hope that it all gets sorted out to your satisfaction very soon.

stevie
Old 20 April 2004, 09:25 AM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Hey John, sorry to hear about your mishap. It looks as though all will be well again soon though at no cost to yourself? Still, that's no good at all if you can't trust the car.

Promise me if you get an Evo you'll take me round KH in it?

The car does look mighty fine on the trailer though, the green really sets it off.
Old 20 April 2004, 09:40 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

An Evo ain't going to save you going through fences - it's not some magical beast like Pegasus you know

In fact you could argue that a faster car may lull you into a false sense of invincibility and make you more at risk of binning it.

Can you say exactly wahat happened John? suspension failure or lose of grip, braking force?

Stefan
Old 20 April 2004, 02:40 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

John...just back from Nobles myself, seen your car sitting outside looking sorry for itself !!
Old 20 April 2004, 07:44 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy She's Back

Got the car back late today. Had a chance to try out some testing roads, prior to coming back to work. Car feels planted. Some slow to high speed corners, the skipping and sliding are gone Car feels far superior than it has in the last couple of months.

Explanation as to why I nearly kissed a tree in XS of cough, cough mph was I've probably hit a pot hole which knocked the geometry out, so that the cars initial reaction to hitting a slight bump, was to throw its hands up and cover it's eyes and pray.

So for all you folks with the Prodrive springs fitted....a warning....

AVOID POTHOLES or any other way that your geometery may get knocked out so far, that you risked losing it on a straight bit of road..

I do not want to bring the handling of this incident into question as I find Nobles in the whole very good to deal with and very fair. Subaru Assistance were first class and very efficient, but I cannot accept the reasons given for nearly being killed. They can assume that I'm covering up something, like I can question the initial set-up. That is a road I don't want to go down, especially If I'm going to spin
I know the guys in the service dept read these posts, but so what, nobody was concerned about discussing it over the last couple of days. Minds were made up and that was that.

Like I say, I find them 1st class all of the time, but I'm left scratching my head by the total transformation in the work done today
Old 20 April 2004, 08:15 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bummer John,

At least it is back healthy (and better - Mmmmm - dubious one that).

Obviously you were driving a bit wrecklessly ?!?!?!?!?!?!? Well according to some.

And potholes on the British roads - they are totally avoidable - nothing to do with Subaru, dealers or Prodrive of course - drivers fault.??

Boll*cks - I think I would raise it again, this time with Subaru U.K. See what they think of it all?!?
Old 20 April 2004, 08:21 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxmania
Boll*cks - I think I would raise it again, this time with Subaru U.K. See what they think of it all?!?
What would I gain? Nowt!! I'm unhappy, as I smell a rat. I'm normally not an outspoken chap...well maybe I am, but if they are right, then every pothole strike, with 18" wheels that do not burst the tyre, but Knock the geo out will turn into a possible death trap.. Have I unearthed the fatal flaw in Fuji Industries master plan. Have all the crashes in the UK been driver error or some thing more sinister
Old 20 April 2004, 08:25 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Angry

Lol,

You've caught onto their master plan. True about what you would gain. Still, lets Subaru UK know.

Get your anger out - Drive the Scenic with rage NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian.
Old 20 April 2004, 08:33 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evojkp
What would I gain? Nowt!! I'm unhappy, as I smell a rat. I'm normally not an outspoken chap...well maybe I am, but if they are right, then every pothole strike, with 18" wheels that do not burst the tyre, but Knock the geo out will turn into a possible death trap.. Have I unearthed the fatal flaw in Fuji Industries master plan. Have all the crashes in the UK been driver error or some thing more sinister
I agree with Brian here, there talkin cack. If you look at what prodrive and Subaru UK recomend with a STi 8, its 18" PFF7 's and Prodrive springs and geometry, so sounds like you have an ideal car for fast roads here in the UK. There is no way that one pothole on its own will knock a full geometry out that fast, yes it will alter it over a period of time over severe ground but we are talkin several thousand miles.
As you say nowt really to be gained by argueing with them but I would still phone customer services and enquire as to what they think about this. BTW I hear Colin is like this a lot, blows hot and cold, one day our mate, bending over backwards to help and the next a complete git...... not experianced the later but I am going on a very relaible source
Sorry to hear about all thats happened to ya
Spooks
Old 20 April 2004, 09:03 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

On a positive note about Nobles, they fitted some Eibach springs to my RB5 and I've never had a problem with it. That includes mounting an 8" kerb at 25mph and driving over the top of it and down the otherside and the car's handling never skipped a beat. It did put a big nasty dent in my speedlines and tore a chunk out a brand new F1 tyre

BTW, the kerb was a Broxburn Sports centre and I blame my passengers for distracting me and turning in too early

When I had the geo/tracking checked afterwards it was still within std tolerances and even 2yrs later when I had the geo check last week, it was only out very slightly from std spec.

I've hit countless, huge feckin potholes on some of the Lanarkshire backroads over the years and again nothing untoward has happened.

I'd have expected to have the alloy on your car damaged before anything else major and the geo would have to be miles out for the car to react dangerously.

Personally, I'd ask Mike Wood for some advice on what would have caused the handling problem.

Stefan

P.S. Mail me the road as it sounds like there's some fun to be had down it
Old 20 April 2004, 10:48 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

John,

Hope u get satisfaction on this one m8 Was gonna tell u 2 get stuck right in2 them but no doubt u already have m8 Doesn`t this take u back to the joys of previous ownership. Saw the pic n thought "what a change that it`s not a red un" Like i say m8 hope u get it all fixed up with minimum fuss.

L8r bud

Pete