Notices

What can you do ??

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2004, 06:53 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can you do ??

Gettin a bit of unwanted attn. from some lowlife ,local or otherwise. Last Thursday a crowd clocked my better half coming into Street and followed her up to near the end of drive looked for a few minutes and buggered off she sat in the car brickin it wi 2 kids(i was at out) .
Today I was upstairs, car in drive looked out to see a silver mondeo pull up,live at the top of cul de sac, 3 guys looking at car and pointing etc i go downstairs out the front door come into their view ,driver smirks at me slams into reverse and they **** off.
I live in a reasonable part of Livingston(stop sniggering), and up to 2 years ago I was running about in other similer jap Imports and never got as much attn in whole of that period as I've done in the last 6 days.
Needless to say I made room in the garage ,its sqeezed in with the old Rover jammed up against outside of door.
Am I being paranoid or what? could tie the two dogs to the garage door and the ex wife that would scare any bugger off (technically that would then be three Dogs !!)
Colin
Old 31 March 2004, 08:13 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Good for keeping vermin out your garden.

Last edited by Dougster; 31 March 2004 at 08:16 PM.
Old 31 March 2004, 08:46 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I reckon you cant be too careful when it comes to this sort of stuff. Just do what I did, take out all the good stuff as a precaution and dont play hero when if ever the worst should happen.

Other scenario is that they were interested in the car as admirers, but you tend to do that as you pass by, rather than go into a cul-de-sac to view and a car. And if the owner came out, I'd get out and say hello - not bolt away.

I used to own a Lotus Carlton and I was paranoid as hell with that car - began to believe the worst even when washing the car. Spoilt it in the end.

Just so the sensible precautionary stuff - alarm, wheel-lock, box car in etc.

As I was told with my LC - 'if they want it, they'll get it irrelevant'.

Jeez - sorry mate, my post sounds negative - but I believe in prevention rather than correction.
Old 31 March 2004, 09:29 PM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

Nice one Dougster..........I have a Slingshot for wipin oot bast+rd Squirrels , that might deter them
How must the guys that have spent £20k+ sleep at night.
Old 31 March 2004, 09:38 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

The bsa is only approx £600 with scope.

Pull that out the boot and they'll soon do the off.

cctv cameras are getting cheaper??
Old 31 March 2004, 09:41 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Horrible feelin aint it, only had mine about 8 months (ish) and still a bit the same.
Nice motor you got BTW, you just have to take there "attention" as a compliment. I hear the paranoia goes away but christ knows when lol
Spooks
Old 31 March 2004, 09:43 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got one of these myself to give any unwanted trespassers the message

Doesn't do warning shots though

Stefan
Old 31 March 2004, 09:52 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Mmmmmmmmm Logun-S16

Nice peice Stefan.
Old 01 April 2004, 07:34 AM
Thunderlips
Scooby Regular

Im home second week in April for a spot of R & R. If this problem continues let me know. I have a few friends round that area who owe me a few favours
Old 01 April 2004, 08:01 AM
stiks
Scooby Regular

Very scary stuff, esp for your good lady. I too am in Livi - mines garaged as soon as I get home from work, and the alarm ( garage included) goes on at bed time. Also boxed in by the wife's car on drive.

I'll be vigilant for drive by mondeos or anything else. Though I dont suppose the cops would be interested if you gave them a number of a car acting suspiciously.

What else can you do
Old 01 April 2004, 09:56 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'd just be a bit more cautious over the next few weeks. Just check you're not being followed home and you don't notice anyone strange lurking around your street. Also be careful when answering the door to any strangers, making sure there's no one else standing just out of sight that could rush you when you open the door.

I disturbed a bloke in my backyard having a nosey inside my car about 2 weeks after I bought it. Soon saw him off with a trusty baseball bat and haven't had any bother in almost 5 years since then.

In all seriousness, if they're a professional gang then there's not much you could do to stop them if they're determined enough. It would only take some ***** and a few lads to disarm someone with an air-rifle and I guess you don't fancy having your head pummelled with your own rifle?

I would contact the Police as they may already be aware of certain suspects in your area and offer some advice on what sort of precautions to take.

At the end of the day if there's 3 blokes threatening your family, then hand them the keys and let the insurance sort it out. As they leave, comment that you'd rather not see the car in one piece again.

Stefan
Old 01 April 2004, 11:44 AM
C. Jay. k.
Scooby Regular

My other half's mate's husband's a Police man, see if he's heard of any car crims. operating around. Seen a Evo 5/6 at Broxburn the other day with no boot spoiler, obviously ripped off going by damage to the boot ,there's obviously a market for these kind of body bits...just check Ebay out and the number of Cavaliers etc goin about wi big wings on the back.
It's pure **** now even compared to 2.5 years ago when I got rid of my Sti , found that insurance is now so much more of a minefield ,co's asking for this and that security ,**** the last time i insured an Impreza it was Cat 2 immobiliser dont even think it had an alarm!!
Its a good job the Driving experience is soooo good(when you find a bit of uncluttered road)because the rest of the sh#t that goes with owning one would put anybody but an enthusiast right off.
I am away down to Homebase to get some big hasps for garage the door(oh and I'll be taking the auld Rover so car park dingers can ding away aw they want)

Keep smiling ye all
Old 01 April 2004, 03:38 PM
s-man
Scooby Regular

Default My 2p...

Its hard not to get para owning these cars at the best of times but it sounds like you genuinely have something to be mildly concerned about there. I grew up in livi and it used to go in cycles...good area becomes bad area e.g. Crazyhill. But because the population has mushroomed recently and there are so many new houses I wouldnt think it matters whether you live in what you perceive to be a good or bad bit cos it's all pretty accessible and theres more diddies around than ever before - unfortunately

You've done the right thing tucking the car away in the garage...might deter the casual thief but as others have said if its pros then theres only so much you can do without jeopardising your own or your families safety...which no car is worth. Be sensible and try and not let it get to you too much.

All the best
Old 01 April 2004, 05:13 PM
stiks
Scooby Regular

Your right - not worth jeapordising your family for. Sadly thats why our premiums are so high.

Just wish plod was as interested in chasing and bringing to justice those who steal £25k's worth of metal ( new scoob) as he is in those who try to relieve the local bank of the same in paper. I'm sure Barclays etc have insurance too. :

Dont get me started on plod and speeding..... Rant over !
Old 01 April 2004, 09:30 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

Personally i'd stick with old the tried and tested sawn off, just don't aim in the vicinity of your car.
Old 01 April 2004, 09:59 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

feel it for you mate, something i have also been worried about for a while. now i dont give a toss, let them take it. its sad however, if they do take it, its probably the last performance car i ever have. my mate had a cossie many years ago(dont want to scare you), and one of his hard neighbours pulled him over, to tell him, had such and such(car thief) down the other day, he has been asking questions about yer car, to where you keep it at night, he see's you coming in this way but cant see where the car goes. the hard neighbour quickly put the hard car thief off the issue by stating it was his mates car. the thief replied with a "no probs hard neighbour" did not know he was your mate.

this is the way it works, and as the other guys stated if they are pro's they will get your car, regardless of any issues. i see it all the time from kids teenagers ect, standing at the end of the drive pointing the finger. you can become overly paranoid.

best way to combat it, is to get the best security possible, ie anti-hijack, trackstar. also leave your keys easlily accessable close to the front door. reason why i say this. if it is pro's and they are willing to enter your house to get the keys for yours and yours misses car(to move it), you dont want to be woken with a gun to yer heid. to much of a risk. make it easy, having them hanging on the wall then they will get the car, which they would get anyway and you and your family are less at risk of serious injury over a piece of metal.

i would also inform the cops. not that they will do much, but they do have a list of pro-car breakers that they have on there files. these guys that rob cars always get caught once in a life time, believe me?.

best just to chill, dont let it ruin your experience, if it goes, it goes. just make it as difficult as possible.

Paul
Old 01 April 2004, 10:34 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Hi mate, sorry to hear your gettin hassle
I have a 04 sti (as the name goes) & mines sit's in the drive, i use it every day to go to work so its only there at night, i have a big labrador (laugh u may but he was trained as a police dog & he's f@kin nutcase), if i seen someone near my car in my drive the dog would be out 1st, then i would be out next (big lad)
My scoobs my baby and i wouldnt let anyone harm it
(ps i aint an **** i just protect what's mines ie my missus, my kids & my car) i also stay in a really nice area, so dont ever expect any hassle
I hope you dont get anymore hassle & you love your scoob

All the best

Stephen
Old 01 April 2004, 10:45 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

i also stay in a really nice area
Perfect place for scouting a steal then?

I wouldn't drive around a local council estate if I was lifting a car to order.

<Nick Ross mode on>

Remember and pull the plugs out and don't have nightmares!

Good night.
Old 01 April 2004, 10:48 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dougster
Perfect place for scouting a steal then?

I wouldn't drive around a local council estate if I was lifting a car to order.
I suppose but there a bigger estate nxt door with a T25 sitting in a drive alongside a Noble !

But you never know
Old 01 April 2004, 11:03 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

[My scoobs my baby and i wouldnt let anyone harm it
(ps i aint an **** i just protect what's mines ie my missus, my kids & my car)

mate i feel the same, not a big guy, ex boxer, still dont fancy me chances against a 9mm. its all well to state these things, you maybe a big guy, but the guy who's stealing yer car maybe bigger and have a piece tucked up his tail. would you have a go in the sake of the STI. cause if you do, yev got ***** the size of oranges. i'd rather let it go and keep my bodily functions performing the way they should. baseball bat would be good for these *****, but from my experience the good guys always loose out, and end up with a criminal record?

Paul
Old 01 April 2004, 11:09 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by keevster
[My scoobs my baby and i wouldnt let anyone harm it
(ps i aint an **** i just protect what's mines ie my missus, my kids & my car)

mate i feel the same, not a big guy, ex boxer, still dont fancy me chances against a 9mm. its all well to state these things, you maybe a big guy, but the guy who's stealing yer car maybe bigger and have a piece tucked up his tail. would you have a go in the sake of the STI. cause if you do, yev got ***** the size of oranges. i'd rather let it go and keep my bodily functions performing the way they should. baseball bat would be good for these *****, but from my experience the good guys always loose out, and end up with a criminal record?

Paul
Paul - i wasnt having a go & i agree with what u say it was just my 2p's worth, i wouldnt risk my life for anyone & thats what insurance company's are for but it really annoy's me when ****'s like these get away with what they want !

Anyway put a disclock on it, tracker, a cat one alarm & buy an x-police lab & you will sleep better haha

Stephen
Old 01 April 2004, 11:22 PM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

Angry hi bud

sorry to hear the theving scum are after your mota, at least its got security!
i think there is a thing you can get in newcastle that lock the car in gear (reverse) you may want to try and get one of them,

apart from that keep it in the garage, i always did, even if i was only putting it away for a few hours, "out of sight out of mind"

cheers robinh20.
Old 01 April 2004, 11:50 PM
west lothian scooby
Scooby Regular

sti-04,
i though you said in a previous thread that you live in motherwell,( well here is the wake up call ) THERE AINT NO REALLY NICE AREAS IN MOTHERWELL. LOL no, but seriously there arent any estates in motherwell that are more than a 5 mins walk from one of those very nice high rise tower blocks (that are all over the town ) where all the scallys live, unless you live up in dalziel park area that is, and then where better for a car thief to go, to steal a nice car.

i appologise in advance if you dont live in motherwell !!! and also if you do!!! LOL

and to back up what nick ross (aka dougster) said ( remember these are isolated incidents, so please dont let them keep you up at night or give you night mares)

stevie

p.s. only kiddin mate, i worked in the motherwell area for 9 years and i know a lot of very good people from that area.
Old 01 April 2004, 11:51 PM
allywrx
Scooby Regular

Wire yer garage door up to the f@@king mains
Watch the hilarity ensue ase you phone the 5-0.
Better switch it off when they arrive tho
Old 02 April 2004, 11:59 AM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing.Well..if it means it has led you to the point of taking extra precautions to safeguard your pride and joy, it must be good right?
If you now keep the scoob in the garage, with another car parked in fornt of the door, you have done as much as you can.
I thought I was the only person out there who was paranoid, but clearly I'm not.
Hope your "problem" goes away m8.
It may just have been someone admiring your car.

Paul, your comments make a lot of sense m8.

norry.
Old 02 April 2004, 12:01 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by west lothian scooby
sti-04,
i though you said in a previous thread that you live in motherwell,( well here is the wake up call ) THERE AINT NO REALLY NICE AREAS IN MOTHERWELL. LOL no, but seriously there arent any estates in motherwell that are more than a 5 mins walk from one of those very nice high rise tower blocks (that are all over the town ) where all the scallys live, unless you live up in dalziel park area that is, and then where better for a car thief to go, to steal a nice car.

i appologise in advance if you dont live in motherwell !!! and also if you do!!! LOL

and to back up what nick ross (aka dougster) said ( remember these are isolated incidents, so please dont let them keep you up at night or give you night mares)

stevie

p.s. only kiddin mate, i worked in the motherwell area for 9 years and i know a lot of very good people from that area.
very, very near dalziel park

& i do agree with what is being said

& & i am going to get one of those video cameras installed 2morro as you can never be to safe eh ??

Stephen
Old 02 April 2004, 02:36 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=sti-04!!]very, very near dalziel park

& i do agree with what is being said

i just live up in wishaw mate, i see a couple of sti's in the area. video camera is a good idea, but put it somewhere discreet, or even better onto the top of a 15ft(concreted) pole. anywhere else within reaching distance, they'll just rip it off. i know a guy who lives down near your neck of the woods. he has his full large garden supplied with video kit. he took no chances, spent a lot of cash, and installed all his camera's onto 20ft lampost like things, securely concreted. no way any bugger is going to rip them off, unless they bring a monkey with them.(which i suppose is poss. lol).

Paul
Old 02 April 2004, 07:38 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

[QUOTE=keevster]
Originally Posted by sti-04!!
i know a guy who lives down near your neck of the woods. he has his full large garden supplied with video kit. he took no chances, spent a lot of cash, and installed all his camera's onto 20ft lampost like things, securely concreted. no way any bugger is going to rip them off, unless they bring a monkey with them.(which i suppose is poss. lol).

Paul
thats severe, i am just going to mount mines ...............,
what car you got keevster, i have been up wishaw a few times since i got the scoob av got a m8 that owns a garage there (back street)
Old 02 April 2004, 07:47 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

WR Blue WRX 53 plate. round wishaw a fair bit. what garage has yer mate got. know a few garage owners in the wishaw area.

Paul
Old 02 April 2004, 08:04 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Default Steady on

I live in Motherwell - owned a variety of performance cars from £900 to £27K sitting on my drive and never had a problem.

At the moment Impreza in Garage and Accord Type R sits every night on the driveway.

My birds mate stays in one of the 'hig rise' areas of Motherwell and also has an Accord Type with sits in a car park for locals. Never had a jots worth of trouble and hes in the 'worst' area accordingly to proper locals.

i think you'll find fuds in every area nowadays.