Notices

ARGHHHHH!!!!! WHITE VAN MAN!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2004, 04:25 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ARGHHHHH!!!!! WHITE VAN MAN!!!!!!!!!

This morning at 8:00AM on the M8 Eastbound near Livingston, the traffic was slow and I was just coming to a halt, very gradually from 50 down to 0 when I noticed a white Vauxhall Movano getting close very fast. I put on my hazards but too late - SMASH - straight into the back of my 4 month old WRX, then I was shoved about 5 metres into a BMW bounced back and he hit me again.

I am sure it was all in slow motion. 6 times in 3 and a half years my cars have been hit or damaged - is it my luck?

Well, white van man was shaken and very sorry - said "I can't believe I hit a beautiful Scoob, of all the cars" - and the BMW had a small scrape on the bumper from my number plate (broken) so he drove away fine.

However my WRX was like a pancake at the back - totally crunched boot, bumper, lights sticking out sideways and exhaust poking out about 1 foot - a real mess. 'Phoned my work (as I had turned back home), got in and 'phoned my insurance company (Elephant) who took all the details and then emailed me a form to complete (which I might add was EXACTLY the same as what they had just asked), I completed that then off I went to the doctor (neck and head pretty sore) who sent me off to casualty, wher I waited over an hour, given some medication, told the pain would get worse as I was having a muscle spasm in my trapezoidal muscles etc.

Off I then went to A F Nobles in Penicuik for an accident repair estimate (Elephant wanted me to go to Arnold Clark Renault - my reply was "not a chance"). A F Nobles were excellent and all the staff in sales, service and accident repair were EXCELLENT. The car is going to need new bumper, boot lid and probably spoiler, all the bars etc under the bumper, new lights, number plates, some of the rear wings repaired (slightly chipped) and the boot floor is bent in half but they think that is repairable. Hope to get it in soon as possible . A company called "Helphire" are liaising with my insurer to make sure I get a decent courtesy car and it goes to Nobles for the work - they 'phoned me very quickly after Nobles visit and were also very good).

As this was obviously a no fault accident, does anyone think there will be any hassle - a bit difficult to accuse me of reversing up the M8 at 40 MPH?!?

The van (which was a hire van which then had company insurance with Norwich Union) is insured with Norwich Union - does anyone know how quick or slow they are - my insurance is up for renewal in 3 months and I have had hassle with insurers in the past being slow - my insurance will be mega if I don't have most of my no claims?

Any comments or advice in how to live without my Scoob for a couple of weeks would be appreciated - it is in my garage but I can feel it being missed already!
Old 11 February 2004, 04:35 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Unhappy Bad deal or what!

Hope you get back on the road asap. Would be interested to know how you get on with Elephant as there are several of us with Sti’s insured with them. Can’t advise how to go without the car for two weeks, other than maybe come offshore for a wee while.
White vans….either sat at the side of the road giving you grief, flashing away…or running into the bloody back of you
Old 11 February 2004, 04:41 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for your support Jools - I will keep everyone informed of Elephants (and the car's progress).
Old 11 February 2004, 04:51 PM
wee Davie
Scooby Regular

Sorry to here about your car hope it is fixed soon.

I got my car back 2 weeks ago after being bashed,had to put up with a 1.0 corsa as a courtesy car.

I skided on icy roads so had to clame off my own insurance. I am insured with axa and they were very quick at getting every thing sorted out.

Davie
Old 11 February 2004, 04:53 PM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

Saw your car at the last RR day,
Get the exhaust off before repair
Hope you get it fixed soon.
Old 11 February 2004, 05:11 PM
evojkp
Scooby Regular

Brian, sorry to here this mate. Hopefully you'll get everything sorted out real soon and that you'll get seen okay for your injuries. I bet any money that the bloke was either on the phone or swigging Irn-bru.

One good thing if it goes to Nobles, they can do your service at the same time
Old 11 February 2004, 06:02 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Really sorry to hear that m8 !!
I must have just missed you i was heading off at the deer park jct at 7.45am

sti-04!!

ps let me know how you get on with nobles !
Old 11 February 2004, 06:22 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Big Daz - I can (thankfully) leave the exhaust on as it is declared on my insurance policy along with my window tints - just as well as an insurance inspector is paying me a visit to verify Nobles estimate (which I have not seen).

John - thanks for the support. The hospital think I should be alright - just a "spasm" they said - that is what I had when it happened - to my brain I think!!!!!! Also, Nobles were very good and they said they will do the service around the bodyshop and will get it done for me as soon as they can.

STI-04 - I will let you know how I get on with Nobles - so far they have been exemplary.

Insurance Inspecor is Benjamin Miles & Co. in East Kilbride - anyone heard of them?

The claims advisor @ elephant seemed to think it was a formality and he would, if he agreed with the estimate, go ahead and authorise Nobles to do the work. He should do this within 48 hours according to them!?! Mmmm.

I am still going to the rolling road day on Sunday I think whether I am in a 1.0 litre Corsa or not - I will not be giving any business to the Edinburgh based decorating firm who hit my car, tht is for sure!!!!
Old 12 February 2004, 12:21 AM
west lothian scooby
Scooby Regular

hi brian,

sorry to hear about the car and i hope that you are ok.If you need a lift to star on sunday just let me know and i will pick you up.

stevie
Old 12 February 2004, 12:52 AM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Wink

No probs Stevie - I will have transport anyway (either a coutesy car or my hugely powerful driveway destroyer 75BHP Nissan Primera Diesel). It will be louder than any Scooby - even those with a Blitz on them!!!

Thanks for the offer and I will still see you on Sunday - we just need to arrange a time and for Spooks (where are you?!!) to meet up too.

Any suggestions?
Old 12 February 2004, 08:38 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I feel like Chris (R6) - I now have a new Black Focus 5 door - great nippy car for a 1.6.

A company called Helphire have dealt with the loan car brilliantly and Nobles have been tremendous phoning to check I got a car, and phoning to make sure their quote arrived and even remembering to ask how my neck was (pretty sore - off work day two - sent home today - should not have bothered going in).

An independant inspector came out to view the car today and seemed to agree with Nobles parts list (debated whether lights could be repaired or replaced). He also changed replace front number plate (cracked) to repair - WTF - how do you repair a cracked number plate - and WHY???

Overall, the experience, whilst still having some hassles has not been too bad so far - just waiting for White Van Man's insurance to deny all knowledge now!!!

The first thing the insurance assessor asked me was "White Van Man was it?" - good guess. My insurer, when I mentioned it was a van that hit me said "I take it the van was white" and also Helphire made a similar comment.

One funny thing from the guy at Helphire was when he asked the colour of the WRX and I said silver he said "Good, I have an issue with Imprezas in a certain colour" - I assume he was talking about WR Blue?

Hope to see some of you at Star on Sunday. Maybe I should put the Focus on the rolllers?!

Brian.

Last edited by wrxmania; 12 February 2004 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Bad Typing again!
Old 12 February 2004, 11:30 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

wrxmania....

A lot of what you have said/gone through is giving me mega deja-vu mate!

In December, a person shall be referred to as "total fcukwit", ran into the side of the wifes Clio Cup.

Our insurer's (Elephant) basically said they wanted their approved repairers to do the job, but as we all know, cheapest certainly isn't best, so I chose my own.

Due to not going with their approved repairers, I did not get a courtesy car, but that is where Helphire came in.

Due to it being a non-fault accident, ther agreed to provide us with an "equivalent" car during repairs.

Our 2 litre 172 bhp Clio was replaced with a 3 cylinder Corsa! lol

The wife was not a happy bunny!

Anyway, Benjamin Miles of EK inspected the Clio and gave the go-ahead for all repairs except for 1 alloy wheel. (3 were damaged quite badly). He authorised 2 to be replaced, but not the third. I fought it of course and got the 3 replaced.

The third party, who is totally disputing liability, as all fcukwits do, is insured with Norwich Union...

Luckily for us, an independent witness stopped and gave his details, so we "should" be okay.

Anyway, Elephant sent a copy of the independent witness's statement to Norwich Union for their comments and asking for an admission of liability.
Norwich Union said that they hadn't looked at it yet due to a "backlog" but would get round to it.

My claims handler gave them a week and called asking if they had read it and were willing to admit liability. Norwich Union claimed to have never received the statement yet one of their staff had it in her hand the week previously......

Anyway, my claim handler was forced to fax them a copy and post a copy recorded delivery, so that they cannot lie and claim they haven't got it.

This has delayed things for a further couple of weeks.

All in all, the accident was 9 weeks ago, and our car has long since been repaired yet we are still waiting on it to get sorted. We are out of pocket for excess, plus our NCD has been reduced pending admission of liability to re-instate it.

Don't you just love insurance!

Hope you get yours sorted without too much hassle mate!

Makes you wonder why folk cannot do the decent thing and put their hands up when they are blatantly at fault doesn't it?
Old 13 February 2004, 08:49 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Wink

Talizman - thanks for the info - how have you found Elephant to deal with - I have found them generally quite good so far - keep me informed by email regularly - the accident was two days ago and they have already sent the insurance engineer - who has already been - I have put my car into Nobles, have a new courtesy car, Angel insurance are dealing with my personal injury claim (and are appointing a lawyer) and Elephant have already written to Norwich Union asking them to accept full liability for the accident (bit difficult to deny).

So far, a pain in the ar*e but the companies dealing with me have been excellent - especially Nobles who have been very helpful.

I will keep you all posted.
Old 13 February 2004, 10:50 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

STI-04 - Is it your Focus RS I sometimes see in Whitburn, usually turning up Blaeberryhill Road?

With a private plate on it?
Old 13 February 2004, 10:53 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

wrxmania,

contrary to what you read on SN on a regular basis, I have found no problems with Elephant whatsoever. Due to the fact that they are part of the Admiral/Bell Direct/Diamond group, they are more than experienced when it comes to claim handling.

Not to mention that they are the cheapest for me by a long shot, albeit I don't think they are as mod-friendly as some.

Where else can a 26 year old with Glasgow post code get a quote of Ł800 for a 22B?
Old 13 February 2004, 10:57 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

might be! i sometimes go that way home from work if the motorway is busy ! but private plate is RS03 ***
as for that road ?? i only go the road past polkemmet through harthill & down into newhouse !
straight, flat & a few nice bumps to add to it !

Last edited by sti-04!!; 13 February 2004 at 10:59 PM. Reason: ??!?
Old 13 February 2004, 11:03 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

TM !

24yr old with a ML postcode Ł720 (full NCB)

not bad eh ?

every other bugger at least Ł1200 & rising to 2k

elephant do it for me !!!!!!!

haha

Stephen

ps is it sold yet ?
Old 14 February 2004, 12:24 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

STI-04, I'm 26, not 24 (although wish I was)

Car is provisionally gone.....

Last edited by talizman; 16 February 2004 at 04:22 PM. Reason: crap typing!
Old 16 February 2004, 08:03 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Not good sorry to hear this Brian, hope you get it sorted soon m8.

John.
Old 16 February 2004, 09:40 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

TM i am 24 !!!!!
that was my quote !
Old 16 February 2004, 02:29 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well, progress is being made. Nobles have been given approval by Benjamin Miles & Co. Insurance Engineers in E.K. and they have started this morning, ordered parts etc. They have been very good. They are also going to do me a deal on colour coding my sideskirts too!!

My insurer says that the driver who hit me has not reported the accident and that his insurer Norwich Union will find it very difficult to deny liability - that is also positive.

My back and neck (with the help of plenty of Paracetemol and Ibuprofen combined - advised by hospital) are getting better with the help of some R & R.

By the end of next week I should get my car back and hand back the Focus (which is good but no Scoob).

Thanks for your support - this is why Scoobynet is so good. I think I will become a member.
Old 16 February 2004, 04:27 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear things are working out positively wrxmania.

STI-04, sorry, crossed wires....

I meant to post that my Elephant quote on a 22B was Ł800 at 26 yers of age with an ML postcode too!
Old 24 February 2004, 06:56 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well, my car has been away for nearly 2 weeks now, and the dealer still are waiting for a rear bumper - Subaru have them on back order.

I went to the body shop today to see it (no roof strips, no back screen, no boot, no bumper, new lights not in, filthy etc). Still, the exhaust was very shiny!

Nevermind, I took over my new Prodrive UK300 style spoiler. My side skirts are being colour coded and the spoiler are being sprayed and fitted at the same time as the rest of the work.

Can't wait to get it back - the 1.6 Focus Helphire car is just not the same!

I miss the noise, and the feel, and the look, and the shape, and the inside, and the windows, and door handles and the hazard switch and the bright switch - oh dear this is pathetic.
Old 24 February 2004, 07:40 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

At least it will feel like new when you get it back.
Drive once again has surpassed themselves, i phoned them today to see if they had any idea when the scoob was going to be !!
an wait for it they dont think it will even be here for monday, i told them i was planning on going down south for a meeting sometime next week & they told me cant push these things on
so as you can guess i am raging going over there tomorrow to speak to the dealer manager as this is a joke.
I even helped them get a sale on my RS

t@ssers all of them

stephen
Old 24 February 2004, 08:08 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

That would drive me mad. If they sell for a certain date then they should deliver by a certai date. Companies often just don't give a toss any more.

Nobles are not in a rush which is both good and bad - good that I stand a chance of getting a good job and bad because I just want it back home!

Let us you know how you get on - did you book an appointment with the manager?
Old 24 February 2004, 08:51 PM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Smile Hello focus man from the "not very happy at the time " PPP man

'lo Brian ,

Good to hear at least the cars getting there progressively , had a volvo V40 a while back , 1 week old , woman ran into the back of it ...off the road for 8 weeks with NO courtesy car !

S+S have adjusted the car and given it it's 10,000 mile service .... running DAMN sweet ! ... plus have added another wee mod on .. WILL THIS MADNESS EVER STOP ?!

Maybe see you again at the next RR at Star and ,fingers crossed, the results'll be better !!!!!!!

Good luck with your car .. Maybe post up some pics when it's finished ?

All the best ,

Steve

Last edited by stevoWRX; 24 February 2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 24 February 2004, 09:01 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Steve,

What "tweak" did S&S do? And, spill the beans, what is the MOD?!?!?

The car will, I hope, be back on the road by the end of next week and the Focus will be gone!!! Not that it is too bad, but no Subaru.

If I can figure out how to post pics then I will,

Brian (maybe I should change my name to focusmania for a few weeks)?.
Old 24 February 2004, 09:02 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Brian - nope i didnt but i have all day to wait, i will be there at 11am & wanting answers
the thing is am in the roughly the same business so its not as if i dont no what i am talking about
to be honest western mitsibushi were getting a call today (thats how bad i felt)
but hopefully alls well that ends well
i definatly know it will be here next week so i shouldnt really complain but thats 7 weeks it been on order !!

anyway i will let you know

cheers

stephen
Old 24 February 2004, 10:08 PM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Cool Clue : PSCHHHH !

'lo Focusmania ... nah ... doesn't sound good does it ? .. Brian then ,

S+S reset ECU and did other stuff , took before and after tests , much better results ,( technical eh ? ) .. spoke to a regular in ScoobyChat ( Del2) who knows his stuff and he explained it was to do with the Det being too early ??? ,degrees of something ,.. Definately runs smoothly .. and fast enough for me anyway !

Just added a nice wee dump valve , Forge , to the scoob .. couldn't help it .. must be the kid in me !! Does sound good !

Must meet up again some time .. hopefully in yer scoob . Fingers crossed for ya ,

Cheers ,

Steve
Old 25 February 2004, 05:58 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

WAHEY !, Well i went over to the dealers today ready for world war 3 & guess what arrived this morning ???

she's there & looking good

pick her up on sunday well it was going to be tuesday as there workshop & valeters were busy till then .......... i think not !!

all i can say for that i wow !!! the waitng is nearly over !

Quick Reply: ARGHHHHH!!!!! WHITE VAN MAN!!!!!!!!!