Notices

Bus lane cameras!

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2003, 08:23 PM
H18JGM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the score with the new bus lane cameras in Aberdeen. If you get caught is it just a fine or is it points too??
Old 11 November 2003, 11:07 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

they are for checking the passengers dont jump out when the bus is moving
Old 12 November 2003, 11:17 AM
H18JGM
Scooby Regular

I was just wondering how they work, because I'm sure they don't sit and check every reg number that passes them at the 'Bus lane' times to check if they are a taxi or bus etc..

Have any of you lot been caught using a bus lane? Is it a fixed penalty or a fine?
Old 12 November 2003, 09:35 PM
ktb50
Scooby Newbie

Here's a quote taken from the Aberdeenbikers web site, not sure if it will be of any us to you. It doesn't say that the fine will be if you are caught in the bus line, but I've been lead to believe it will just be a fine.....

Kate

MAG-Aberdeen asked the Council the following questions and Aberdeen Council reply was:-

The Motor Cycle Action Group seek clarification of two issues, under the circumstances outlined in the preceding paragraph, namely;

1. Is it the intention of Aberdeen Council and Grampian Police to maintain these cameras in operation on a twenty-four hour basis, or will they be activated only at the periods of time when the bus lanes are designated only for bus usage?

Answer: The Bus Lane Enforcement Cameras shall only be operational during the hours of operation of the bus lane in question, i.e. peak hours only. The exception to this is the case of 24 hour Bus Lanes when the cameras shall be in operation at peak hours and at other random times.

2. Outside of designated times and in circumstances where motorists continue the predominate use of the outer lanes, and under-utilise the bus lanes, under what circumstances, if any, will motorists be permitted to use bus lanes and by doing so, pass vehicles travelling at a slower speed who are in the outer lanes?

Answer: I would refer you to the Highway Code and Paragraph 139. This states "only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right and it is safe to do so" and "stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left."

Within this answer the writer then states "In general, overtaking on the left is not permitted" and goes on to say,

The Bus Lane Enforcement Cameras will become fully operational in the near future however prior to this there shall be a full launch in the local media to inform all road users of the new safety cameras and their intended operation.

This letter was also copied to the Police Bottom Inspector in charge of the Grampian Safety Camera Unit.

On behalf of MAG Aberdeen
Old 13 November 2003, 02:41 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Local taxi driver said the fines were £20 if caught!