Notices

Karting mpeg and pics.

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2003, 09:06 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No 8!!

2.6 peeps. Anyway to compress this (zip) b4 I put it on my homepage?

[Edited by Dougster - 4/19/2003 9:47:43 PM]
Old 19 April 2003, 09:59 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

it zips to about 2meg

mpg is alread compressed.. so it wont zip much..

looks already fairly well compressed.
Old 19 April 2003, 10:28 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Cheers Phil.

Guess who no. 8 is!!

Pics up tomorrow
Old 19 April 2003, 10:31 PM
Doogsy
Scooby Regular

Is this the incident when Pete was black flagged?
Surely driver on the outside should have given way :0
There was no way he was going to get round before the corner
He clearly did not have the speed nor the line for the corner

Old 19 April 2003, 10:42 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Think it was one of them Doogsy.

How did we finish anyway?
Old 19 April 2003, 10:47 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

lol

errmmmm
Old 19 April 2003, 10:49 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Talking

we got black flagged again?
LOL!!!!
Old 19 April 2003, 10:56 PM
Doogsy
Scooby Regular

We finished 8th

Doug
Old 19 April 2003, 11:14 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

And they are off!

I'm free!!!!!!

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. (and Doogsy from Crailthrashers!!)

[Edited by Dougster - 4/19/2003 11:20:23 PM]
Old 20 April 2003, 02:01 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nice one Dougster,

Now it`s there in plain view for all to c.
Maybe the "race director" ought to be pointed to the url of this just so he can SEE instead of guessing on his decision, maybe then he`d know just how wrong his shout was. Like I said IMHO his decision sucked large. Saying that if there were enough marshalls out on the track the incident may have been seen by one of them.

As for the old timer that ended up in the tyres, as you said yourself "learn to drive fast before you play dodge em`s"
Hey maybe spatial awareness & judgement degrades with age
For future reference if I`ve got the line, it`s my line bud
Do what every other safe driver does, find a safe place to pass
(i.e not entering a corner), make sure you have the speed and overtake. As you now know the outcome of such suicidal manouvers when the other driver has the line & more weight than you

What I did find odd though was the fact that on my second session, I passed 4 karts on seperate laps & was overtaken by the guy in the red suit (BTW nice driving fella) all without a single incident coincidence ??? I think not, just no kamikazee`s in the track

Anyway, it was a good day, good turnout and good racing in general.

L8r peebs
Pete
Old 20 April 2003, 06:50 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

pics look great Dougster got the hang of the new camera then

hope the next one is when I'm at home.

Craig.

Old 22 April 2003, 10:12 AM
William Ball
Scooby Newbie

>> As for the old timer that ended up in the tyres, as you said yourself "learn to drive fast before you play dodge em`s"

Jeez, that must be me then. Never been called an 'old timer' before, but I guess it had to happen some time. Thought it might be 10 years off though.

I took our time penalty on the first lap, so I was coming from at least 30 seconds behind and caught you [not bad for an old timer]. I passed clean on the short straight following the long downhill and you tee-boned me at the corner. You only got through by barging and using my kart to keep on on track. You were noticed my the marshall for that one. I then came up the inside again on the uphill after the hairpin, and although I was along side you barged again, and again you were noticed by the marshalls. I then came round the outside [the video bit] and was alongside. You had the opportinity to give me room but you drove me into the tyres. I was then maybe half a lap behind but I caught you again [the 'old timer' definitely faster then!] and you barged again. You were not black flagged due to one incident, but a succession of incidents; and it was the incident after the video'd corner [at the corner after the long downhill again] that actually got you black flagged I think. It's fine to hold your line while folks are behind and make it as difficult to get alongside as you want. But once someone is alongside or has passed, it is my inderstanding that unlike stock cars or dodge-'ems you don't then try to drive folks off the track. Once someone is along side you should give them room. If you continue to barge and push folks off the track, as you did, then you get penalised, as you did.

Maybe the 'old timers' advice was good therefore, concentrate on going faster rather than playing dodge'ems As it was, the 'old timer' was fairly happy getting into the 57s. Certainly not the fastest there by any means, but respectable for an old bloke.

WB
Old 22 April 2003, 10:58 PM
CraigAlsop
Scooby Newbie

"As for the old timer that ended up in the tyres, as you said yourself "learn to drive fast before you play dodge em`s"
Hey maybe spatial awareness & judgement degrades with age "

It should be pointed out that said old-timer has a track prepared TVR Cerbera & track prepared Westfield Megabusa, with which he has driven more track miles than many people drive on the road
Personally I wouldn't like to bet against his spacial awareness & judgement....
Old 22 April 2003, 11:26 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

What do others feel about the overall standard of driving AND marshalling?

Don't want to start a slagging match (or continue one!! ) but I felt a lack of 'flag wavers' at the W/E.

Some very experienced drivers were in attendance as well as some novices. Is that advisable? Not as experienced as I would like to be but me a few guys facing me after some spins in fast spots!!

As ever I enjoyed every minuite, but feel safety is priority, especially in these faster karts and circuit.

Bring on the next one or if anyone fancied a GP session in GLA, I wouldn't mind organising it.
Old 23 April 2003, 11:56 AM
JasonO
Scooby Regular

Dougster,
I'll bring a team to a Glasgow venue

I think it would be unfair to exclude beginners from these events as everyone has to learn somewhere. Part of being a good driver is paying attention to what is going on around you, and the only way to learn is to get in amongst it and have a go. Full marks to the beginers for going out in what is a very competitve environment, and ultimately the best place to learn.

I recall being taken out in the practice session by a much more experienced kart driver than I am. We apologised to each other at the time, and had a laugh at each other afterwards in the pits, all part of the fun.

It's worth noting that a friendly word with the offending driver will add to their experience, but getting mad (or even) with them will not be a benefit to anyone.

Relax guys, it's all about having fun
Old 23 April 2003, 05:48 PM
KSY
Scooby Regular

teknopete, the guy in the red suit was Dave the kart_man, who did the best lap time, trying to catch up after me spinning everywhere round.

Dougster, being the most beginnerish beginner I sensirely apologise for my driving standards. Never pushed anyone off, always gave way to faster drivers, but hell, how many times did I spin! About ten, I reckon, including practice. And thanks for the pics and the movie - they're great!

BTW, who was in the second kart in head-on collision right in front of spectators place? I was the first one there, kamikaze number 9, just after I span and was facing 3 karts approaching in tight formation!

Great fun, thanks John for organising this, and thanks JasonO for taking me there and back.

Sergey

[Edited by KSY - 4/23/2003 6:07:01 PM]

[Edited by KSY - 4/23/2003 6:12:20 PM]