Notices

Shot Blasting

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2003, 10:42 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone know of any companies in central Scotland that do grit blasting of car body shells? All the ones I have tried say their equipment is too strong for car body metal. Has anyone had it done? and if so how much did it cost roughly.

Dougie
Old 17 March 2003, 06:24 PM
benview7
Scooby Regular

Dougie, DONT DO IT!!!!!! I once had this done on a shell that I had bought and it ruined it distorted every panel and even though when I picked it up it looked great (like New) as soon as the painter started to apply the paint you could then see every panel was damaged so it was a very expensive excercise, i would suggest using Nitromors to remove the paint a lot of hard work but much safewr to the body, but dont get the nitromors on the skin as it burns and hurts like hell!!! if you go this route use Nitromorsa in a well vented area and wash down body with a hose if you do come into contact with it wash off immediately and also wear protective clothing and Goggles to protect your eyes. Hope this has been of some help Cheers
Old 17 March 2003, 07:02 PM
D8UGF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Benview,

Its actually more for the underside of the shell, want to remove the old underseal to see exactly what needs removing. Think it would be a real **** job removing it all with a grinder and a scotchbrite pad!. Once I have done this I'm going to re-primer and then apply 3m coating to the underside,interior and inner wings etc.Was planning to go the paint stripper route for the panels. Going on your experience do you think it would be worth doing what i am suggesting as obviously the hidden bits dont need to be as flat as the exterior bodyshell.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Dougie