Notices

Roads around Loch Ness .....

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2003, 11:24 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm off to Foyers for a weekend I hear you say ..... I know nothing to do but loot at the hills.

just wondered if anyone has good knowledge of the roads in the area *cough* ( I'm looking for nice scenery honest )
the map of the area looks twisty but local knowledge helps

Craig.
Old 19 January 2003, 01:17 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

No local knowledge but I did compete on an Autumn Road Rally a few years back which used a lot of the roads north east of Foyers. Seem to remember a yellow across the hills from Carrbridge knd of direction which seemed to go on forever. Can't comment on the "scenery" I'm afraid - wasn't looking out the windows much!

When are you going there? If you're going to be there on 15 Feb, the first round of the Scottish Rally Championship (the Snowman) will be on - mainly using stages west of Loch Ness this year.

G
Old 19 January 2003, 06:38 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

About half way up Loch ness, there is a wee place called Drumnadrokit I think. Its about 5 miles west of Loch ness.
Some of the roads further in from Drumnadrokit are realy good for driving on.
I think about 5-10 miles west of Drumnadrokit these is a small river with a big power station on one of the banks.

We done some camping at the power station years ago. What a time we had. Spent a few days there with the cars, and found some of the best roads I have driven on to date.

Scoty
Old 19 January 2003, 09:21 PM
Dougster.
Scooby Regular

Take a left in the middle of Drumnadrochit and head towards Beauly A833.

I take this route going to Ullapool every summer.
Old 20 January 2003, 08:45 AM
JohnS

Thumbs up

Actually, the road that you drive on to get to Foyers is much better than the one on the other side of the Loch (A82). THe A82 is very busy with all the Inverness traffic, buses, lorries, loads of cars, and with double white lines most of the way, it's very frustrating.

On the other hand, the road on the south side is virtually empty, and runs from Fort Augustus to Inverness, and is an aboslute cracker. It's the old military road, and is single track for much of the way, but is fast and flowing with excellent visibility for most of it. Just take it very easy when passing the few houses there are, as it's not unknown for cars to reverse straight out. There are some very demanding sections, some great scenery, and a few places where you will get airborne if you aren't careful.

On the other side of the Loch, the road from Invermoriston, all the way through to Kyle of Lochalsh is stunning as well. Wide, fast flowing, and some great spots for scenic photos.

John
Old 20 January 2003, 10:21 AM
Neilyboy
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Try a bit closer to home!! I'll speak to you when U get back. Some fantastic roads on the Foyers side, one well worth a visit has a number of tight hairpins.
Old 22 January 2003, 01:15 PM
scoobydu
Scooby Regular

Cool

Did the same route as Dougster did earlier this year in my BMW 325 sport (now sold in place of scooby). The roads are awesome, flat wide, curvacious......phew had better calm down!!!!! Cannot wait to drive on hem in the scooby!!!!

Cheers

Al
Old 22 January 2003, 01:35 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

very nice up their mate
Old 22 January 2003, 03:15 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info guy's I'll be sure to have a good look around when I'm up there.

Craig.
Old 22 January 2003, 08:07 PM
RA Jaay
Scooby Regular

This is very near to where I live, wrong time of year to go walking and the like, but equally beautiful during winter. Dores Inn offers a nice refreshment and a typical Pub meal, in the summer its a very busy place. Foyers has its own Hotel (my Grandparents used to own it) but im not sure if its open this time of year, Loch Ness is a pretty seasonal place.
The Falls of Foyers are pretty good but dont be taking your Nike's or you will .
Boleskine house is very close to Foyers and was made famous by Alasdair Crowley, it is known that he made sacrifices in this very house, you will not be able to get to the house though as someone lives in it and over the years many people have tried to visit and pestered the owners, you know all those non gender Goat loving Goths that hang outside your local Burgar King. Anyway apart from Crowley Jimi Page from Led Zepplin owned it aswell! When you are driving to Foyers from Inverness you will notice its Gates on the left hand side of the road and you can also see the house from the road and quite conveaniently (for Crowley that is) theres a graveyard right opposite (on the right hand side of the road).

A trip to Fort Augustus isnt far either and theres a good stretch of straight near whitebridge to break up the Journey, although that might sound boring believe me you will be glad after all the hairpins and corners you will be going round.
Ft Augustus is home to a number of Pubs and two Hotels, The Caladonian and The Lovat, both are quite nice, again this time of year means most places will be closed, the Abbey is a great place to have a looky round, I suggest a sneak round, (ie leave the scoob and its flat four sound in the Village!!).
Theres nothing happening at Invermoriston, Drumnadrochit is quite nice but quiet at this time of year.
There are lots of great lochs and out of the way places that me an some pals go fishing/camping but not recomended at this time of year.

I know this is stating the obvious but dont underestimate these roads they claim lives every month, go canny!
Have a top time !!
an Give a wave if you see a (N) Blue Sti V-ltd !!
J