Notices

Certificate for CAT 1 alarm ?? Anywhere in Edinburgh ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2002, 04:14 PM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I just moved insurance companies, and the new company want a certificate to prove the car's got a cat 1. Anyone know of a good place in or around Edinburgh where I can get one ??? (it's a TOAD alarm).

Ta

Dave
Old 11 December 2002, 04:38 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Each cat1 alarm comes with it's own certificate to prove authenticity and confirmation it has been carried out by approved personnel.

Do you have any paperwork which can be traced back to the original installer or alternatively previous owner/ supplying dealer of the vehicle (assuming you bought secondhand).

Alan
Old 11 December 2002, 04:48 PM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hmmm... I'll need to check 'the envelope' !! I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you were supposed to get the certificate renewed regularly anyway, so was hoping just to do that !! I'll have a look tonight though,

Thanks Alan

Dave
Old 11 December 2002, 05:17 PM
iainalpine
Scooby Regular

hi kart. the person that told you about having to renew the certificate is teling you pork pies. as for getting a new 1, you cant. it has to come from the person that installed the alarm with there ID NUMBER that ties in with thatcham. sorry to be the 1 to give you all the bad news. i am a diagnostic technician and also a auto electrician so this is my line of work. i only hope i got all the info supplied to you correct.
iain
Old 11 December 2002, 05:20 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

The certificate AFAIK doesn't have to be renewed.

Certainly in the four years of ownership of my car, I have never been asked to renew it.

However, where the problem begins, is when Thatcham re-assess alarms for approval, in which case it can be possible that the alarm you have currently fitted to your car isn't approved for insurance purposes. The insurance company then want you to fit an approved alarm...

Going back a few years, '80's(Cossie days..) I had to have a Vecta alarm fitted to get insurance cover (£500!). Then, it was all singing all dancing, nobody could get past it (LOL) but of course nowadays it's no use whatsoever.

Alan
Old 11 December 2002, 05:33 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Well there's a stranger to the board!! Ain't seen nor heard from you for a while Iain.

Alan
Old 15 December 2002, 11:12 PM
Damo STi
Scooby Regular

MRD in bathgate did mine last week mate as i had same prob they tool £36 for an inspection then gave me paperwork i needed i.e cat 1 cerficate
Old 17 December 2002, 08:34 AM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

Cool

Whew - panic over, I found the certificate last night

Thanks for your input though guys,

Dave
Old 17 December 2002, 05:32 PM
John Stevenson
Scooby Regular

Alan, the reason you've probably never been asked to renew is 'cause you drive a Cavalier !!
Old 17 December 2002, 05:52 PM
iainalpine
Scooby Regular

hi alan. have been busy with work mate. dropped in to stuarts the other day and thought i might have seen you there. will give you a call soon. hope the car is going well. i ahev been looking at getting the gems ecu for the car, but want to look more into it. i am going to pinch the 1 out of stuarts rally car and see how it goes.
iain
Old 17 December 2002, 06:53 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

John

Shhhh!!!!!!!!!!.......keep it quiet will you!! Don't want everyone to know!!

Alan
Old 17 December 2002, 07:07 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Car going very well now Iain, thanks. Not much left to do now.

So what's up with the Ecutek map then,that's got you thinking for another aftermarket ECU?

Alan
Old 19 December 2002, 07:59 PM
iainalpine
Scooby Regular

hi alan, sorry its taken so long for me to reply. managed to land myself a new girlfriend that seems to have to much energy. thank god she lives in london.
the ecutec map is good but i liked the option of running to seperate maps, or should i say being able to switch between to maps at the flick of a switch. i dont think i am the only 1 to say this but i feel the car is using to much fuel on the ecutec system. this maybe due to the fact of the saftey issue whening running hard top end. also the problem with the maf voltage is still there(have'nt had time to look at it) and the car is needing to be mapped to its its final form. just fancied putting my feelers out to see what else is out there. mmmmmmm, antilag system sounds like fun and also launch control. could be fun on the track. the results stuart gets impress me so that where it all stems from. will need to meet up sometime soon.
iain