Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Front tyre tread wearing fast on inside fronts!

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2000, 10:50 AM
Julian W.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have only done 8000 miles in my my99 turbo.
I checked the tyre tread again the other day and the rear tyres are fine but on the front, the inside inch of tread on each tyre is pretty low.

I have 17" prodrive rims with 205/45 tyres on. The car is in at the dealer for a replacement door actuator at the moment and I can't remember what make the tyres are off the top of my head but they came standard with the Prodrive handling package.

Is this a common problem?
Old 21 January 2000, 01:06 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Smile

Julian,

It's the Prodrive handling package that's causing the inside edge of the front tyres to wear. Just swap them round with the back tyres - L front to R back and R front to L back. That should do you another 8000 miles.
Old 21 January 2000, 01:26 PM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

I would not recommend fitting part worn tyres on the rear!!!!!!! You need all the grip you can get on the back. There have been a few threads where people have spun/oversteer issues causing nasty crashes. Treat yourself to some new ones. I have an RB5 with standard suspension and I swap my tyres around but the fronts only had slightly more wear on the inside edges. I guess the excessive wear is a factor of additional grip and better turn in - this will also require even better grip on the back to stay out of trouble!
Old 21 January 2000, 01:31 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Get the geometry checked. It may simply be the prodrive settings, which call for maximum equal negative camber on the front, but the tracking may be out (potholes etc).

If all is ok, then either: Choose routs with fewer long straight stretches and more cornering or look into getting the front neg camber reduced a bit to improve wear on motorway trips .

Moray
Old 21 January 2000, 01:51 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Do not swap tyres diagonally if you've got directional tyres though (obviously).
Only swap straight front to back, as recommended in the manual.

Stef.
Old 21 January 2000, 09:18 PM
IanF
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Julian,

Exactly the same experience as me.

At about 8000 miles I noticed that my front inside edges were worn more than the outer edges. I too have 17" Prodrive wheels running 205/45 tyres (P-Zeros).

I don't think my geometry was adjusted as I do not have the Prodrive suspension pack.

Anyway have swapped back to front and everything seems fine. I never really take my car to anywhere near the limits of its handling/tyre grip so I am not worried about swapping them.

Regards
IanF
MY99