Help please

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2013, 05:47 PM
stu2309
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please

Hi guys

Im soon to be joining the scooby club with a blobeye sti widetrack hopefully..

Just a few questions about the car really..

Are there any concerns with any parts (ie common faults) on the car and what do u think the output/stats would be if I added a full exhaust system with decats, k&n typhoon, fmic, uprated fuel injectors, remap and setup.

If theres anything else I should be including in these upgrades the comments will be grately appreciated as im new to all this crack

Thanks alot for your time

Stu
Old 05 October 2013, 05:55 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

If your sticking with the standard turbo id keep the o/e top mount and forget the front mount imo. Standard sti injectors also ok for the vf 35 and an induction kit isnt needed. But i would add a fuel pump
Old 05 October 2013, 05:59 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The "search" function should show up some longer answers to your questions, but...

Common faults tend to be related to wear and tear or abuse. Make sure you pick up a car that has been maintained and serviced properly, run only on 98RON or above fuel etc.

Rear shocks knock and some of these cars may have some rust on them. There have been some minor concerns levelled at the gearboxes though I have never personally come across one or know of one that's gone bang. Just make sure whatever car you take out has a smooth action, bit like a rifle bolt and doesn't whine.

Engines, pretty tough really. Check for knocking of the main bearing and any dodgy turbo sounds.

If you come across a car with dodgy service history, invasive mods without a remap, eBay dump valves etc I'd avoid.

With the setup you mention you should reliably see high 300s in power and torque (BHP/lbft) but I would personally be reluctant to push it beyond that without forged bearings, connecting rods and pistons.

Edit - you'll max out not too far over 400bhp on the std top mount intercooler anyway most likely and would need an uprated fuel pump with those injectors

I'm sure others on here will fill you in on bits I've missed or disagree with my thoughts on stock internals...

Last edited by thenewgalaxy; 05 October 2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05 October 2013, 06:07 PM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Stu,

Welcome to the forum

By putting installing all of those upgrades you will see around 350-370 bhp. The only thing restricting the car for more more power is the turbo. If the above bhp is what your looking for then you don't need a FMIC & injectors as both of the OEM parts can handle 400 max bhp.

You can put an induction kit on there but most advise not as it can be harmful to the turbo as it is hot air. If you do want to put a typhoon on there it is recommended to get a cold air feed aswell.

Don't forget you will need to put an upgraded fuel pump, only usually around £75.

Just make sure to warm the engine up when you start it, and then let it cool down after you have been driving. Aswell as finding a good example as there are a few abused ones out there.

Don't be afraid to post any pics and I hope to hear more about your decision.

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555

Last edited by User 21721; 05 October 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05 October 2013, 07:33 PM
stu2309
Scooby Newbie

Thanks very much for the comments guys..

Really helpfull..

Soon as I get her ill upload a photo and keep u guys infoemed on the upgrade front

Thanks again