Sponsored by:

Food for thought?

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2002, 10:32 AM
Active
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

A thought crossed my mind, (yes I do have them occasionally). Are we "suckers"?. Why do we feel the need to go out and buy the latest gadget?, is it because it`s the "in thing"?. Do we need cross braces, or dump valves (simply because of the hiss they make). £250+ for stainless back boxes for their longivity, or just for the sound they make. Why do we pay these exhorbitant prices?, and why is it that whenever a new accessory comes onto the market, we, yes I said WE feel the need to go out and buy it. Is there a hint perhaps of "keeping up with the Jones`s"? Spoilers, aftermarket air filters, clear signal lamps are some examples. It carn`t be that we want to make our cars different because everyone goes out and buys them!. Which leads me on to prices. Why are we prepared to pay exhorbitant prices for our cars, petrol, (GB vs America) for example?, say no more?. My car in the local dealers retails at £21,495, I paid £16,420. Spoilers £350+, polished boot gaiter £90, Joke!, back boxes £260+, quick shift £180 until a recent price drop, (for a 9" piece of stainless rod with an aluminium bracket), cost to make, surely no more than £50. Someone must be making vast profits, why?. Is it because we are daft enough to pay what they think they can get out of us and not for what the item is worth, with a reasonable profit margin?. Like I said food for thought.
I appologise for the long thread and no doubt I shall receive some stick but does someone out there agree?.
These are personal comments and no offence is intended to anyone that has purchased the above, gold wheels included, That one is for Mr Lewis!)
Bob
Old 22 May 2002, 10:38 AM
Osama Mc Donalds
Scooby Regular

It's the age we live in just relax kick back and drink a 40 life is too short to be regreating mistakes made in the past, look to the future and be positive
Old 22 May 2002, 10:56 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

It's because when you press the right hand pedal and fly around corners that make your passengers scream, that big grin that lights up your face is worth every penny

...do see your point though!
Old 22 May 2002, 11:04 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Yes we are suckers. Otherwise we'd all drive Lada's.
C
Old 22 May 2002, 11:21 AM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

can u still get Lada's??
Old 22 May 2002, 11:53 AM
Magic Boot
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Two words, MATERIALISM & GREED!!!!!

At the tender age of 30, i can see the decline and worrying direction we are going in this country. There is too much money about (most of it credit) to buy the uneccessary expensive luxuries most, including myself, are tempted by. You only need to look at the up and coming generations attitudes towards money and what they MUST own to be part of society to see the mess we are in.

To quote Cyprus Hill, "When the S**t goes down, you better be ready".

Please take the above as written by an economist rather than an old crusty with nothing better to do than moan.

Old 22 May 2002, 09:55 PM
IanA
Scooby Regular

As the owner of an unmodified Series Mcrae (My first Turbo) the temptation to change things is HUGE. I really can't explain it. Every time I see a modified run of the mill car I scoff but I'm itching to spend big bucks on my car. And I was determined that a standard car would be enough for me before I got it!

It's not keeping up with Jones, there'll always be people who can spend more so that would be futile. Some things are obvious too, such as better brakes (and the larger wheels needed for them).

However I think Jen has it spot-on. All the things I want to change will enhance my the size of my grin in the car (I'm not bothered about clear indicators and that sort of thing, just stuff that relates to driving).

I guess the answer is we do it because we can! Wouldn't object to cheaper short-shifters and back boxes mind.

Magic, you're right of course, but then, it's not a long life really is it?

[Edited by IanA - 5/22/2002 9:58:41 PM]