Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2002, 01:05 PM
BruceWarne
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi

Any suggestions on what this can be?

If I take a left hand corner (as in 90 degree corner) on a slight downhill I hear a loud scraping sound, and the steering wheel also feels very "scrapy" and judders. Seems the noise is eminating from the front right wheel (well, it feels that way).

I thought the tyre must be scraping against something, but had it on a lift, and can't see any marks etc.

What on earth could it be? Think it is indeed the tyre? Could the geometry be that far out?

Oh, yes, there is also a knocking noise coming from what I presume is the left rear shock.

Think these two issues are related?

The car is a brand new (1500 miles) STi (7)
Old 21 May 2002, 01:09 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bruce

Have'nt came across the scraping sound you describe, however the knocking noise is the left rear. The shock has to be replaced. I have it on mine too from new, just gets louder. Mine's being replaced next week sometime.

Have a look in suspension and you will see a thread called "Prodrive STI Ride Height" which I started, and there are a few others in there aswell.

Old 21 May 2002, 01:25 PM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

Hi Bruce,

Suggest you get wheel bearing tested. Had a similar thing a few years ago - Slight sraping noise from nearside front when on or near lock. Dealer looked at and thought no problem.

Wheel bearing collapsed 10 days later on the apex of the right hand turn going on to the long straight at Donington at just over the ton. Scarey but fortunately not too much damage done.

Scraping noise due to disc moving within the brake caliper.

[Edited by Steve Wilson - 5/21/2002 1:26:41 PM]
Old 21 May 2002, 01:36 PM
BruceWarne
Scooby Regular

Thanks!
Where do I take the car to have the wheel bearing tested? Would the dealer be able to do that?
Old 21 May 2002, 01:38 PM
BruceWarne
Scooby Regular

As far as the knocking sound goes:

The sound reminds me a lot of a similar sound I had on my old shape impreza after having the suspension dropped a bit.

It drove me mad! Had my wife sitting in the boot to find the cause...

Took it back to the guys who did the install. Turns out that on top of the shock there is a little plastic cap type thing used for mounting or something. Forgive my terminology. But there is something (strut?) inside the shock that can move up and down if the cap is not on tight. What happens is that this strut hit against the plastic cap and makes the damn noise.

As I said, the two sounds are exactly the same...

Anyone know anything about fitting shocks? Cause I have no idea.
Old 21 May 2002, 02:27 PM
Splat
Scooby Regular

Smile

Bruce,

Don't know if this helps, but last week I was getting a scrapping sound and I was sure it was oming from the drivers side front wheel.

After further investigation I found that part of the heat shielding round the exhaust had loosened off and was touching the universal joints of the steering column (producing a grinding and juddering effect).

I have a 94 WRX Sti so this probably different than yours, but it's worth looking for.

Cheers

Old 23 May 2002, 09:39 AM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

Would think any competent garage could give it a quick once over for you. The trick is to get the wheel off the ground.

Bearings can be a particular problem if you do track days and use the brakes hard. - The disks get hot enough to glow red, heat up the wheel hub and the grease in the bearings melts and runs out. Bearings then run without lubrication.

Should be a regular check if doing track days.