Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eBay selling advice. Possible scammer?

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2013, 12:18 PM
wrbhawk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay selling advice. Possible scammer?

Any regular sellers on eBay able to give me some advice please?

Basically I sold an item via Buy It Now for £100 but buyer hasn't paid yet.
I only gave the option of sending within the UK, but the buyer who bought it has his shipping address in Greece, and he's asking me if I'm willing to ship to Greece, and if not then I can ship to his sister's address in the UK.

To be honest I don't want to deal with this buyer because when I looked at their profile, it states "member since 2012" and "Location: United States" yet the shipping address is Greece?!

Also, he has 6 positive feedback as a buyer, all of which have been for low price items (£10 or less) and 4 of his most recent feedback came on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

All the alarm bells are ringing and I'd rather not deal with this user, but I don't want to damage my 100% score.

What options do I have?
Old 10 July 2013, 12:32 PM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

Taken from The PayPal seller protection policy..

Seller Protection

Most transactions go smoothly but if there's a problem, PayPal Seller Protection can help you. For example, if you receive an unauthorised payment or if a buyer claims that an item didn't arrive, we can protect you for the full amount of the sale - at no extra cost. As long as a buyer pays you with PayPal, your eligible transactions are automatically protected.

What’s an eligible transaction? Only physical goods that can be posted and aren’t prohibited by law are covered. You must obtain proof of delivery to be covered by Seller Protection. You can check that the item is eligible in the 'Transaction Details' in your PayPal account and in your confirmation email. Eligible transactions in the UK, US and Canada qualify. If you're selling on eBay, you can post to buyers in any of the 190 countries where PayPal is accepted and still be covered. Only post to the buyer's address provided in the 'Transaction Details' and only accept payments in full from a single PayPal account.

What’s not eligible? Seller Protection does not cover the sale of services, intangible or digital goods or items that violate our policies (stuff that’s usually prohibited by law anyway). Seller Protection doesn’t cover certain kinds of situations, for example, you’re not protected if the item you post doesn’t match your description. If you deliver an item in person or post it in any other way that can't be tracked, you won't be covered.

What’s proof of delivery? Proof of delivery means the item can be tracked online so you need online documentation from the postal company that includes all of these details:

A status of “delivered” (or equivalent) and the date of delivery
The recipient’s address, showing at least the city/county or postcode (or international equivalent).
Old 10 July 2013, 12:37 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

Don't send the item until money's in the bank. And I'd send it recorded delivery, it's up to you wether you want to send it to Greece, he would have to cover the extra postage.
Old 10 July 2013, 12:43 PM
nowellyboy
Scooby Regular

That don't sound too good fella. Myself & a friend have been done too in the past with a similar sounding story. Would it be a mobile phone by any chance????
What they tend to do is pay you with a ghost like PayPal account, it shows up that uv been paid funds, a few minutes later they take the payment back out and PayPal have no recollection of this account.

Get in touch with ebay and see what they have to say about it. It should be in your favour as uv only described ur listing as postage within uk.

All the best & Hope it all works out for you fella.
Old 10 July 2013, 01:00 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

There's an awful lot ( in fact it looks like standard practice) of US sellers that specifically state 'shipping only to your registered Paypal address'.

I've often wondered why.

This looks to be a possible reason.
Old 10 July 2013, 01:11 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

Don’t send it! you will not see your goods or money again! I had a problem like this I even put UK Bidders in the listing but someone outside the UK won it and insisted I send it outside the UK and demanded I advise him of the shipping costs and he will pay, tried to cancel the transaction and he refused, in the end I went on the live chat window on eBay and they saw my side of it and cancelled the transaction..

Far too many scammers on eBay and weirdoes!!! At the moment I’ve got some idiot that keeps sending me very lengthy miss-spelt nasty/weird messages because I left bad feedback... which he rightfully deserved... oh well the worlds full of them!
Old 10 July 2013, 01:24 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

If you send to a confirmed address with Paypal and use recorded signed for service you are covered. Phones seem to attract various scams though if that's what you sold.
Old 10 July 2013, 01:31 PM
Keithys
Scooby Regular

I would contact ebay customer services raise your concerns and tell them you wish to cancel the sale or contact buyer and request to cancel the sale as its lost broken whatever mate
Old 10 July 2013, 01:31 PM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

I'd go onto the "Chat with us" link from the ebay support page, describe the situation to them and ask them if you will be covered:

http://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/cusr?query=1651

At least if they advice you to go ahead and it goes wrong then you will have a transcript from them stating you would be covered.
Old 10 July 2013, 01:45 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

I have had a few problems like this where i have sold collect only items and then you get scammers in africa or romania trying to get you to send it.

Contact ebay, they may not be much help but you can request that the buyer cancels the transaction. Also ebay can and do cancel bad feedback should you receive a negative.
Old 10 July 2013, 03:33 PM
wrbhawk
Scooby Regular

Ok well before I had the chance to do anything, the buyer has paid for the item now.

He wants it sent to his sisters address in the UK and this is the address that comes up on Paypal's transaction details as the seller protection address.
It is confirmed.

So if I sent this out recorded, am I 100%?
Old 10 July 2013, 03:47 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrbhawk
Ok well before I had the chance to do anything, the buyer has paid for the item now.

He wants it sent to his sisters address in the UK and this is the address that comes up on Paypal's transaction details as the seller protection address.
It is confirmed.

So if I sent this out recorded, am I 100%?
No, I have heard all sorts of stories and ebay almost always decide in favour of the buyer.

Does the address check out or is it a random industrial estate?
Old 10 July 2013, 04:58 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

I'd get on to Chat with ebay before sending it.
Old 10 July 2013, 05:05 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That'll teach me not to read the whole thread
If its a confirmed address in the UK and as long as you have proof of postage AND proof of delivery then all should be ok.

Last edited by BLU; 10 July 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10 July 2013, 05:09 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigballs
No, I have heard all sorts of stories and ebay almost always decide in favour of the buyer.

Does the address check out or is it a random industrial estate?
Not true, I've won two cases now! Its all about the evidence and if you can prove its been sent and received

As above, check the address is legit by doing a postcode search on the RM site and back it up on Google street view/maps.
Old 10 July 2013, 08:16 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

My story is....

I sold a set of gauges to a guy in France when it was UK only bidders but he sounded genuine and was willing to pay for addition options on the shipping, It was sent registered and insured but royal mail lose track of it as soon as it leaves the UK and can not trace it on theeir system anymore, It requires phonecalls??

The guy said he never received it, I sent the sales invoice, copy of eBay ad, proof of postage and insurance to paypal once the dispute had started and they decided to settle in the buyers favour?? Moral of the story is that you are NOT covered if sending out of the UK, I then had to wait 90 days and if the item was not found I could then put my claim in for a refund via Royal Mail, This is going back a bit now but PayPal is not always the right option.

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 10 July 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10 July 2013, 08:58 PM
Pazza81
Scooby Regular

I sold my old iphone on ebay. Sent it recorded delivery with over 750 positive feedback. Guy who bought it immediately mailed me claiming to have received an empty box demanding answers (hmm). I knew when I sent it there was something dodgy about him (just a gut feeling). Paypal sided with him and took the money off me so he had a free phone. Thought I was safe with 1st class recorded mail. If theres any doubts cancel the transaction! Ive been put off selling on ebay ever again