Sponsored by:

Problem with boost cut on V3 STI

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2013, 09:11 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with boost cut on V3 STI

Hi all, I'm after some advice. I finally got round registering and putting my V3 STI on the road around a fortnight ago after being parked up in the garage for the last 8 years.
I took it out today for a good run and when the turbo boosts it seems to cut power and sounds like its popping under the bonnet.

The as it stands now is completely standard apart from what I've been told on here could be a hybrid dump valve??
I've run a tank of V Power through it just out for gentle drives and changed the fuel filter, I haven't yet changed the plugs but this is being done tomorrow. I've checked for fault codes and nothing stored.

I replaced the old fuel pump with a Walbro uprated pump due the old one being seized, although I can hear this wine inside the car when the cars stationary and sometimes on the move (depending on speed) but the cars very quiet due to the standard exhaust. Not sure if this is right???
Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable advice you can give me on what to check.
Jay
Old 06 July 2013, 10:48 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayp71
Hi all, I'm after some advice. I finally got round registering and putting my V3 STI on the road around a fortnight ago after being parked up in the garage for the last 8 years.
I took it out today for a good run and when the turbo boosts it seems to cut power and sounds like its popping under the bonnet.

The as it stands now is completely standard apart from what I've been told on here could be a hybrid dump valve??
I've run a tank of V Power through it just out for gentle drives and changed the fuel filter, I haven't yet changed the plugs but this is being done tomorrow. I've checked for fault codes and nothing stored.

I replaced the old fuel pump with a Walbro uprated pump due the old one being seized, although I can hear this wine inside the car when the cars stationary and sometimes on the move (depending on speed) but the cars very quiet due to the standard exhaust. Not sure if this is right???
Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable advice you can give me on what to check.
Jay
Lol, 8 years, my V3 has been in my garage for 7 years, might put it on the road this year.

When I bought my V3 the garage had changed the oil and put too much oil in, oil was drawn into the boost solenoid and it would lose boot instantly while under full power, it was like hitting a wall - dropped some oil out, cleaned the solenoid and it was fine after that - just a thought.
Old 07 July 2013, 01:56 PM
turbomax
Scooby Regular

clean out the sol valve and pill in case its blinded up with gunk.
Old 07 July 2013, 02:07 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

The walbro pumps are known to be a little noisy, nothing to worry about.
There are alot of fakes around though so I hope you got it from a trusted seller and not ebay etc.

Change plugs and leads, clean boost solonoid, check vac hoses for splits etc, clean the maf...... cover the basics first and go from there.
Old 07 July 2013, 04:08 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, just been out for another run this afternoon and run fine for around 12 miles or so, held boost fine with no issues, then it started to play up again, missing, cutting boost and popping back under the bonnet every time the turbo spools so a gentle plod home.
Changed plugs this morning checked hoses and cleaned MAF, on inspection the boost solenoid seems clean but I could give it a clean all the same.

Last edited by Peter Pan; 07 July 2013 at 04:11 PM.