Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

geodesy or bel 990

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2001, 03:22 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know why I am thinking this, but which is the better unit to consider?

of these two. ultimately it is pointless for me as I drive very slowly, but sometimes I do 40 when I should do 30 and don't want to get caught out.

I appreciate that the geodesy will rarely fail given how it works, and seeing as teh 990 can detect, everything including the dreaded handheld lasers, perhaps this is the one to go for, I am just dubious as to how it works.

The other things is that the geodesy is programmed with the specs knowledge and the bel can't pick those up.

The answer to that being, do 70 on motorways we I can handle.

Just afetr comments really.

Anyone comment on the abilities of the 990, I have read all the reviews.
Old 19 April 2001, 03:29 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Adam, if it is in built up areas you have problems sticking to the limit then the 990 is useless, I switch mine off as soon as I get into populated areas. It picks up automatic doors, house alarms, mobile phones, etc.

I do spend a reasonable amount of time (when I can afford the petrol) in the north of Scotland where there are no Gatsos, so the Bel suits my purposes by picking up hand held guns, etc.

It just really comes down to in which sort of environment you are going to be driving.
Old 19 April 2001, 03:43 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Doesnt the bel have a city mode?

Is this a useless function, or can it still distinguish hand held lasers in this mode?

To be honest, it is these that I am worried about.

Also, is there a 990 that isnt the international version, such as from america?
Old 19 April 2001, 03:53 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

City mode just means you are 5 yards closer to the signal before it starts bleeping like mad, effectively useless as far as I can tell.

I got my 990 in the UK a year and a bit ago, it does have extra featues that only work in the US, such as warnings for roadworks and emergency vehicles, maybe there is another UK specific version now, I don't really know.

I'm still points free, so that proves it works anyway even if there are a lot of false alarms.
Old 19 April 2001, 04:56 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Adam,

Check out this months 'EVO'(fight club issue) they've got a bit about detectors inc. Geodesy/Bel/Valentine/Snooper - Bel Target Euro 550 comes out tops! (Euro specific) Theres a more indepth test of the 990 in Issue 15

DazW
Old 19 April 2001, 05:12 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

I bought my Bel Euro 550 a few weeks ago, and it has been very effective.
Gives reasonable amount of warning, and is simple to conceale when you leave your car (from thieves I mean), and easy to use.
I would recomend it, as its so simple, and you dont need to update it constantly like you do a Geodesy.
I also phoned around the suppliers, and the Euro 550 was top of the list every time.
Towns can be a pain, I also turn mine off as I enter a town, as in most cases you cant speed there anyway, then as soon as you leave town, turn it on, and you're away.
Picks up the mobile phone refreshing, and ringing, but aside from those niggles, is an excellent tool for staying out of trouble.
I never heard anything about my 65 in a 30 zone after I saw the double flash, but bought it anyway, as a precaution, and after travelling the M25 clockwise (through the roadworks)its earned its money already.

PS: City mode is pretty useless, but these niggles are far outweighed by the benefits, with fines being as much as they are, and insurance not being overjoyed about points on licences

[This message has been edited by IntegraR (edited 19 April 2001).]
Old 19 April 2001, 05:46 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Why not get both? (If you've got the dosh) The Bel I would say is essential for the open road, but in cities I would guess the police rely more on their gatso's.

David
Old 19 April 2001, 05:58 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Adam, do you drive the same route a lot?

If so and you can remember where all the cameras are then a Geodesy will be of little use. If however you just remember 'there's one around here somewhere' then its excellent.

Its also excellent when going places you don't know. When you're lost and looking for somewhere its harder to remember and stick to the limits - this is when it really pays for itself.

It does need to be turned off round the variable speed limit section of the M25, but otherwise is excellent.

Once the PC link/Sat Nav add on for the Geodesy is available you'll also be able to program your own warning points, so if you know local favourite spots then you can add those. I'll probably also add the local 60->30mph changes: I never mean to go quicker than 30 through them, but concentration isn't always 100%. I think this will be a very nice feature.

I'm thinking of making a custom pod for the dash storage bin as its just too long to fit in nicely - there's probably room for a detector too so any recommendations on ones that have a separate receiver (so I can put the display inside the storage bin).

Remeber that neither will detect VASCAR, or an unmarked car following you - the only thing that can tell you about that is your eyes....

Old 19 April 2001, 06:51 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I do often use the same route all the time and know exactly where all the cameras are, but sometimes I go to other places, hence all of these questions.

False alarms dont bother me, if anything they are a reminder that I shouldnt be speeding so will over stick to the limits. Thatr is therefore no problem.

Do the bels require line of sight and is there a chance of neatly fitting them by a sunvisor and sending a cable lead through the a pillar to the roof lining?

My biggest concern is mobile police officers and also the new mobile vans that park on the side of the road with gatsos inside them, so in this respect it has to be the bel.

But nw which, the new 550 euro or the 990. Money no object which will now be the one to go for?
Old 20 April 2001, 09:43 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

The 550 is the 990's replacement, so thats the one to go for.
As for mounting, mine sits on sticker pads at the bottom, middle of the windscreen, as they require a clear veiw ahead to detect the camera's.
The overhead on the sunvisor is also an option, but you may need to get the supplied cable extended.
I have yet to run the cable neatly, though I have seen a few pics with cars that have the cabling very neatly fitted, and it looks good.
Old 20 April 2001, 10:34 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Are there any of these 'decent' detectors where the display is separate to the detection part? I'd like to hide the display but can't if it needs all round coverage.
Old 20 April 2001, 10:40 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

980 I think, Bel definately do one, it has the same features as the 990, but comes with the detectors separate, so you put one behind the grill at the front of the car, and put the dispay box down where the ashtray is, looks from the picts like it should fit there anyway. Unfortunately they did not release one before I bought my 990, as that was what I was looking for as well.
Old 20 April 2001, 02:23 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Ok so now I am finding the bel 590 europe which costs more than the 550 which I have established has superceeded to 990 international.

So what teh hell is the 590r?

anybody?
Old 20 April 2001, 02:55 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Question

Adam, not a clue, but a good place for info on the rest of their products is:
Old 20 April 2001, 03:10 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Every search I do leads me to that company.

can't seem to find the 590r except on german sites at the moment. Think I will hold off buying unitl I know which really is the best one for now.

plus I have a motec, adjustable suspension, front mount intercooler, water injection etc to save up for.
Old 20 April 2001, 03:46 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

For questions regading Bell products you may want to contact glyn at
Old 20 April 2001, 04:28 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Adam, the Bel 550 is a good detector, nothing is 100% safe, so you just have to make a decision on whats the best you can do with whats on the market already.
There will always be something new on the market, so you'll end up waiting forever, get a good current detector, and at least you'll have some speed security.
Old 20 April 2001, 05:03 PM
Rajd
Scooby Regular

Kryten,
The Vector Europa 966R detector seems damn good and the display is separate to the detection part. see
Old 20 April 2001, 05:42 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Question

To be honest, by the time your detectors alerted to you the laser it's too late.

Depending on how 'naughty' you wanted to be, the optimum would be a laser diffuser(like the Blinder M10) and a geodesy. The diffuser will jam the beam long enough for you to slow down and not get caught. The Geodesy will protect you from fixed units, most of which are moving over to the undetectable peizo electric sensors.

A detector will only help in the now rare radar cases.

The best prevention is not to speed, or if you do, ensure you are not too much in excess of the limits. (80 in 70, 65 in 60).

No detector save good observation will pick up VASCAR or unmarked cars.

Get a Geodesy first, you can use it as satnav too, a detector is next to useless against laser.

Old 22 April 2001, 08:49 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Neil Smalley:
<B>To be honest, by the time your detectors alerted to you the laser it's too late. [/quote]

I'd wondered about how useful they really were, but the tests I've seen seem to suggest they are of some use.

How long does it take a laser to get a reading? It there anything detectable _before_ its fired up?

I guess if they 'get' someone who's ahead of you then you may be able to detect that?
Old 22 April 2001, 09:54 PM
phil_ng
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just bought Geodesy and having used it for only a couple of days am much more confident with it than my detecter. So far absolutely accuraate and give loads of warning. Ive had detecters for years and still got caught out by the dreaded flashers. Id go for the Geodesy any day if had to choose.
Old 24 April 2001, 07:28 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Neil Smalley:
<B>The Geodesy will protect you from fixed units, most of which are moving over to the undetectable peizo electric sensors.

A detector will only help in the now rare radar cases.[/quote]

Neil,

have you any evidence of this? I know of _only_ two Truvelo (forward-facing IR cameras) in the country, but pass tens of radar gatsos (sadly where 99% of the live ones are on fast/safe roads and not outside schools).

mb

p.s. Any news on the proposed detector-ban??
Old 24 April 2001, 07:36 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by boomer:
<B> Neil,

have you any evidence of this? I know of _only_ two Truvelo (forward-facing IR cameras) in the country, but pass tens of radar gatsos (sadly where 99% of the live ones are on fast/safe roads and not outside schools).

mb

p.s. Any news on the proposed detector-ban??[/quote]

From the top of my head.
There are at least 2 in luton, 2 on the A1 near beeston, 4 on the A45 coming off the M45 in Warwicks, and 2 going into Bedford.

In Herts/Beds,Northants etc, all the new cameras are the forward facing type.

Actually it was the radar guns I was talking about.

No News on the Ban yet, EVO mag had the latest info I think.

How was Scotland?
Old 24 April 2001, 08:22 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Red face

Neil,

Gulp!!!

I wonder just how "well glued" to the road those piezo strips are??? I am sure that they couldn't be relied on (or even work) if thgey were to become "detached"!

Scotland was fine (apart from the Volvos on the M74)

I'll be @REO on Thursday - no Truvelos down that way i hope

mb
Old 24 April 2001, 09:14 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

They are embedded in the road, so can't be damaged . Like this

Image From the speedtrap bible.

The forward facing ones are about the same price as the normal gatso, but have the 'advantage' of being able to identify the driver, so you can't use the 'wuzzent me' excuse

I'll be up your way for the May 1st shindig, so see ya there maybe.
Old 24 April 2001, 10:28 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Neil,

humm, that seems a bit different from the one that i know coming into Thame from Oxford/Tiddington. Three *very* close (white) strips and no other visible road intrusions.

Anyway, must not forget - Speed Kills!!!!

mb
Old 24 April 2001, 11:09 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

What sort of distance are you from these cameras when the unit give its warning, I bought a bel a few years ago and you were level with the camera when it started bleeping, I have to say though that since I bought it I havnt been caught speeding (touch wood) and my 11 points come off this year but I havnt seen a hand held laser either.
Old 24 April 2001, 11:12 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

For the Geodesy It's user definable. Anyway from 0.1 miles to 5 miles. I find that 1/2 a mile works ok. Radar detectors give about 100-200 metre warning.

[This message has been edited by Neil Smalley (edited 24 April 2001).]
Old 25 April 2001, 08:40 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Laser guns come down to the operator, I have had one lucky escape where the poilce car was on a fly over which I went under (could not see the car as it was around 2am) About 50m out the other side the detector went laser...woo woo.. laser so I stamped on the breaks, the signal went off for a second then came back on. I'm assuming the officer followed the path the car would have been taking with the gun, but due to my foot planting itself on the brake pedal I did not stick to the expected speed and when I was picked up again I was close to the limit.
It paid for itself and then some in that one instance. But if the officer had really been concentrating, it would not have done me any good.

BTW you find youreslf actually driving slower with the detector in the car, as you realise just how long it takes to slow down after the first couple of warnings.
Old 25 April 2001, 11:23 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Oh my gawd.

How long have these piezo things been around?

Since they are fixed and embedded in the ground, will they be included in the geodesy's knowledge?

I thought I knew where all the cameras were, but if these things start popping up, the geodesy could still have its uses.

As metioned above, my fear was policemen with handheld lasers popping up unexpectedly.

To my knowledge, it is only the most recent detectors that can see these with enough warning, so I think they are still the one to go for.

remaining questions.

1. Is the geodesy a compact unit, or a remote display with a fixed gps receiver somewhere?

2. Is the geodesy updated for the semi permanent roadworks cameras and then reupdated when they are removed?

3. Can someone with a euro 550 or 990i confirm that the fixed gatsos that take a picture from behind are seen in advance of the braking zone (obviously speed dependent but give it a go)?

Quick Reply: geodesy or bel 990