Sponsored by:

@~!" gits have lowered ride height on my STI V

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2000, 09:49 PM
Nic Doczi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

A not uncommon story. I had a ring on bell early Sunday morning. He apologetically told me to look at my car, it was missing its wheels!

Sure enough, I couldn't believe my eyes, my gorgeous cool grey STI V was sitting on bricks. The almost perfect, genuine STI gold wheels that only I loved were gone. Just snails on the bricks left in their place.

The insurance company and the police started the cleanup process. The first low loader turned up uselessly- "wasn't told there were weret'n no wheels". He summoned backup - a universal adapting set of wheels. They arrived after a while in a second truck. Didnt fit! Not made for 5 spoke funnies like Imprezas.

Long wait while everyone scratches their heads. No Scooby dealers open on Sunday for loan wheels. Why would they help an import anyway?
Thought of Pete Croney - fabulous, he answered his mobile, at the Autosport Show. No spare 16" unfirtunately, but stocks of MIMs, just no way to get tyres on a Sunday. Still, real nice to talk to him, will probably put these on now.

Eventually, after some prodding the insurance co sorted out a lifting truck that did the trick. Unfortunately it was then I spotted some clues the f*&*ers had tried breaking in as well. Wheel bar and immobiliser detered them. But bodywork to fix.

So, the question is, who has my wheels now, were they stolen to order, did they really want the car, what can I do for next time?

Makes you sad.

Nic

Old 18 January 2000, 09:55 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Locking wheel nuts too start with. Sorry to hear of you loss though.
Tim
Old 19 January 2000, 12:43 AM
Robbie
Scooby Regular

A police friend of mine who works on the motorways in the West Midlands has told me that as a deterrent locking wheels nuts work as well as a stearing wheel lock etc - but ultimately if you know what you are doing then they can be bypassed in about 30 seconds.
Old 19 January 2000, 01:22 AM
DAZ
Scooby Regular

what a bummer

gold sti wheels are rare so id guess that they were stolen to order.

if they wanted the car they would have had it
immobiliser or not i had a clifford 50 on mine a few years ago and they had that.

buyer will probably be an old scooby with the 15" alloys on.

have a look at the OZ SUPER T before you do buy your next alloys they look really good.

sorry to here about the bad news

daz
Old 19 January 2000, 09:43 AM
robman
Scooby Regular

Are locking wheel nuts totally effective, or mainly a deterrent?

And if someone took off the non-locking nuts could they use the leverage to snap off the bolt with the locked one on, thus also knackering your hubs?
Old 19 January 2000, 09:53 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I think locking wheel nuts are quite effective.
I had a set on my last car & I lost the key for them. All the local tyre centres said the same thing - that they could probably get them off but would certainly do damage to the wheel.
If someone is nicking wheels to order then I bet they would want them in perfect nick - not scratched & buggered so they may try elsewhere.

Ro.
Old 19 January 2000, 10:24 AM
Tim
Scooby Regular

Red face

Sorry to hear about your STiV Nic.

I may be paranoid but I use two different sets of locking nuts on each wheel. I think the idea is to delay the thief's, after all if they want something bad enough they'll get it anyway. Also my alarm warns away people at a close proximity to the car.

None of this is going to help your situation though, I hope your costs aren't too painful.

Oh, and look at the OZ Super T's mentioned earlier, they look great.
Old 19 January 2000, 01:16 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Sorry about your wheels but there isn't enough deterrent for those committing the crimes I'm afraid.
Riveted speakers and stereo into the car.
Got broken into but they couldn't get the gear.
So they put screwdrivers through the speakers and brutalised the head unit.
Cheers Then.
Old 19 January 2000, 01:56 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Condolences. I remember the feeling that some @*^%&* thief has just walked of and left you with insurance claims and hopeless police reports and everything. Illigitimate persons!

I would steer clear of fancy wheels like OZ STs until you can secure the car in a garage, after all, unless you move house, the scum know where your car lives and can keep an eye on what is worth offering to their contacts. Remember, if lightening doesn't strike etc... why is there a guy who has been hit more than 3 times on seperate occasions?

Good luck with sorting it out,

Moray
Old 19 January 2000, 02:05 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Nic

Glad it got recovered OK.

I went across to Steve (owner of Elite) at the show and had him ringing staff to see if they could open up to get the tyres fitted, but it couldn't happen

With regard to locking wheel nuts, we have had numerous cars in that the owners have driven a long way to us, without the key nut. The Subaru ones are very easy to get off, but... they are a deterent.

Before everyone goes and buys some of the new really clever ones, if you lose the key to these, you will never get them off without ordering a replacement key.
Old 19 January 2000, 05:57 PM
Julian
Scooby Regular

Pete,

What really clever ones?

Julian.
Old 19 January 2000, 06:31 PM
Nic Doczi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

OK, just went up to Solus in Park Royal to meet the assessor. He was fine, knew Imprezas (not the STI so much though).

He was fine to use the wheels and tyres I requested, will fit locking wheel nuts. The few bits of trim will be new. Will have to wait and see teh result.

I asked if he could ensure the car was gently driven when road tested. He was really good about this but I was not reassured by some of the "parking" techniques I saw in the yard. A bit scary the types who have access to our treasured cars when being repaired.

Maybe have it back the end of next week.

Nic
Old 19 January 2000, 08:59 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

Hi sorry the world is full off scum bags
have you thought of fitting a LEVEL REFERENCE SENSOR to your alarm £ 65 inc vat
The Guy who just fitted my alarm had His wheel locks Knocked of his Merc "rollerscate"but when they tried to lift the car the alarm scared the turds of , and they were probably Quite clever turds as they didn't damage the wheels removing the locks ,
May be worth a try ?