Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Robbed from right under my nose!

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2013, 10:37 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Robbed from right under my nose!

I haven’t mentioned it earlier as it's been manic in the Day household over Xmas, and work has been very demanding resulting in lots of additional hours. Anyway that said, here is what happened.

My house is newly open planned to accommodate a better fit for my disabled son whom can now get around much easier, however I didn’t see this coming considering you can now stand in the kitchen at the back of the house and look right through the living room to the dining room front window.

I was chilling downstairs with my two children on a Saturday night early December watching sh!te on TV whilst Mrs Day was out with the girls, it was around 19:30 and my son was ready for bed, so I took him up and left my daughter of 7 downstairs. 10 minutes later I cam back down and let my daughter watch Xfactor etc whilst I surfed on my Ipad for an hour or so. At 21:30 I took my daughter to bed, which again took around 10 minutes. I came down and put all the kids toys etc away, and put my iPad along with my wife’s iPad on charge next to my Laptop.

I then sat at the Dining room table in the front part of the house playing COD with my headphones on chatting to a mate down south whilst swigging a beer for an hour, and then watched a film in the living room. As said the house is open plan, and the wall supporting the RSJ is around 1 meter at each side on the house. The dining room table chair/bench I was sat on was technically blocking my view onto the kitchen (take note of this comment)

At midnight the wife came home, we chatted for half hour and “locked the door”, turned out the lights and went to bed.

The following morning I got up with the kids at around 08:00. I went downstairs and proceeded with the normal parent choirs, until the misses came down around an hour or so later. At this point she said something that jogged me to look on the internet, I looked for my iPad baring in mind I recalled putting them both on charge the night before.

Both iPads, Laptop, Stereo (new boxed), Ipod and my misses handbag along with he purse etc had gone, so the only time that these items could have been taken was when I was playing the PS3 between 21:45 (when I put them on charge) and around 23:00 when I was watching a film.

The point is, I must have been literally 20ft away from the items that were stolen, and practically in the vicinity when the items were stolen. Also the thieves must have known I was in the other room with the 42” screen on the wall displaying the game, and with my hard wired headset cable running across the floor to where I was sat!

Obviously this has now gone though the police and insurance, but what a joke its coming too. Almost £2000 worth of stuff taken, right from under my nose!

I am still waiting for the Insurance to pay out, but this is the only Insurance claim I have ever made period, inc cars, and yet I feel that I have done wrong, and that’s me the man saying that, never mind the wife whom is now paranoid, and hates the fact that someone has been in our house.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I’m not sure how this would have ended if I have caught the thief/thieves in action.

I think the moral of this story is, no matter where you live, no matter how good you think your neighbourhood is, and how well respected or tough your dog is if that’s your thing, lock your doors when your in as they will barefaced rob you right under your nose of your hard earned!

Rob

ps - The thick C_nts left my wallet right next to my wifes purse which had £300 cash and my credit and debit cards in it
Old 05 January 2013, 10:43 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lad at work had his Focus ST keys (and hence car) stolen from inside his house. He was sat at one end of the room watching TV, the keys were at the other end of the (open plan) frontroom/dining room arrangement. Somebody literally entered THE SAME ROOM to grab his keys and wallet, pushed the car off the drive - and drove off.

The only reason they know it happened whilst they were still awake, is because the thief actually bumped into a neighbors car during their escape - and the neighbors heard the bang/scrape and then heard the familiar Focus exhaust note as it tore off down the road at about 22:30.

It's a sad/scary state of affairs
Old 05 January 2013, 10:46 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Bad news mate.

Have you tried the find iPhone app thing on the iPads to locate them?
Old 05 January 2013, 10:53 AM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So sorry to hear this rob thieving *****.
My mates house got robbed and they stole phone out of his 12 year old sis s room why she was asleep in it. No one heard anything but stole fair bit of gear . Some people are such low life's
Old 05 January 2013, 10:55 AM
Spivscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scum! dont seem to give a **** theses days if your in the house or not. if you did spot them chances are most people wouldnt just watch them run away could have been spending crimbo behind bars
Feel for you bud hope insureance pays up for you soon

Last edited by Spivscooby; 05 January 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05 January 2013, 10:57 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear this Rob, hope the family aren't fretting about it too much.

Although its a kick in the teeth, at least you can replace it all with some decent Android kit now!
Old 05 January 2013, 10:59 AM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

Fxxxxxg scum hope you get your stuff back fella

Trending Topics

Old 05 January 2013, 10:59 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Absolutely shocking! This is the world we now live in Rob. It's not so much the monetary/material loss but the audacity and the invasion that is the most distressing. The only thing to do is to turn your house in to a fortress. Locks, cameras, floodlights the whole shebang.
Old 05 January 2013, 11:05 AM
Iain250
Scooby Regular

**** story m8 especially at this time of year - a barky bitey dog is the only answer no **** will come near your place again
Old 05 January 2013, 11:34 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Sorry to hear this mate at least you and your family are safe and well,it could of been alot worst.your advice is correct keep your house locked up tight regardless if your in or out.get a nice family dog if you know what I mean.

Last edited by stonejedi; 05 January 2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05 January 2013, 11:44 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm so sorry to hear about this Rob. Those that do things like this are no different to rats and pigeons, they're animals without the morals that make the rest of us human.

I hope it all gets sorted but hopefully some good will come out of this by you making us more aware of how opportunists strike.

Hope this hasn't set the scene for 2013 and the rest of the year is a good 'un
Old 05 January 2013, 12:02 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

Sorry to hear that Rob, these ******* scumbags make me sick, Id love to torture each and every one of them.

Last edited by B4D HK; 05 January 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05 January 2013, 12:09 PM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

Heard the gate go the other night whilst watching telly. Went out a chased the scum off, next time I will remember to put something on my feet rather than chasing them barefoot and I might get hold of one them!

On the plus side I expanded their limited vocabulary to include a fair few new four letter words which half of the town heard. Makes my blood boil, can't have anything and makes the family feel unsafe in their own house.
Old 05 January 2013, 12:34 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Did you register the "find my iPad/iPhone " app as said above Rob?

May well be worth trying it to see if it an locate it

If your not sure what to do you just stick your apple id in to another I pad/phone and track it, see what it comes back with, could be worth ago, but if they were not security enabled and they know what they are doing, then chances are they have already wiped it

Thieving scum! Makes you sick!
Old 05 January 2013, 01:32 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about that Rob, as much as the theft is annoying the fact that people are prepared to come into your house and steal from the room you are sitting in is actually more worrying
Old 05 January 2013, 02:48 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Cheers all for the kind words

Ref the "find iPhone", this doesn't appear to be finding either, both devices are "offline"

You live and learn. How many times do you go out the door with a bucket and sponge to wash your car, or nip in garden etc and leave your doors unlocked?

Obviously this is no longer going to happen, and yes to actually lock your doors full time is a right PITA. Every time someone comes round they now knock etc, where as before close family and friends just came in! Looks like I need to get a combo lock on the door LOL
Old 05 January 2013, 03:52 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Get a jack russel , if someone even looks at my house my dog goes nuts (sometimes even when no-one is there)
Old 05 January 2013, 03:53 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Cheers all for the kind words

Ref the "find iPhone", this doesn't appear to be finding either, both devices are "offline"

You live and learn. How many times do you go out the door with a bucket and sponge to wash your car, or nip in garden etc and leave your doors unlocked?

Obviously this is no longer going to happen, and yes to actually lock your doors full time is a right PITA. Every time someone comes round they now knock etc, where as before close family and friends just came in! Looks like I need to get a combo lock on the door LOL
Agree with you, sadly these are the times we live in. I keep my door locked all the time which is a pain, but rather that than finding some ****** in my living room.
Old 05 January 2013, 04:43 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

I have a front door with a Yale lock & a Mortice lock plus 2 dead bolts.
Thing is,on the outside there is no handle ,just 2 key holes.
When you shut the door from inside you flip the Yale lock on & you can also turn the small **** for the Mortice lock.
You can only get in from the outside if you have a key(s)

Do you have a front door that you can open from the outside without a key?
Old 05 January 2013, 04:56 PM
big_wasa
Scooby Regular

Lost for words.
Old 05 January 2013, 05:04 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

legd4rsk - I've got young kids, so that type of lock wouldn't be ideal, otherwise they would be knocking on the door all the time. I'll chance keeping the door unlocked when I'm around and aware the kids are in and out, and lock it all other times. I'm also going to install some CCTV. I've already got a Dlink kit which is fantastic, i'll just expand it and onto a hard drive

Charly - I've had dogs, I cant go down that road again as my son literally doesn't know how to cope with them. Both dogs I've had have been fantastic, and properly trained gun dog and companions whom lived in the house, but as said its not something I can repeat in a hurry.

Chris - I recall your house, I would keep it locked at all times too. I'll just upgrade security and be more vigilant with locking the door, but im not going to be **** about it

Rob
Old 05 January 2013, 05:06 PM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that, you shouldn't have to lock your door while your in to keep things safe but clearly it's worth doing.

How come the Mrs handbag/purse were stolen if she was out? Presuming she had them with her wouldn't that make it after 12:30?
Old 05 January 2013, 05:11 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
Get a jack russel , if someone even looks at my house my dog goes nuts (sometimes even when no-one is there)
Jr,s are the Best alarm ever , even though they are mental

It's totally , sh** when things like this happen
And you always think if I would have done this or done that , I'm terrible for forgetting to lock doors and cars

But you could look at it like this rob , whoever did it had some cheek and couldn't have been that bothered you where in the house , which could mean either they think f**k it I'm not bothered or off their head on something or just desperate for cash
And tbh you don't really want to confront folk like that ( yes we all think we are Bruce lee at times ) and would love to administer a good kicking , but in reality when a ****** pulls out a kitchen knife and threatens to stick it in you it's a different kettle of fish
So maybe it was the lesser of two very s**t evils
Old 05 January 2013, 05:14 PM
lee555
Scooby Regular

Complet tramps sorry to here this
Old 05 January 2013, 05:17 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MDS_WRX
How come the Mrs handbag/purse were stolen if she was out? Presuming she had them with her wouldn't that make it after 12:30?
Valid point, but she was only down the road at our friends having a girly night. Plus being female so she has around 20 bloody bags. Obviously as she wasn't going to pubs and clubs so she didn't take the purse with her which contained £45, her cash, store and credit cards, and unfortunately some nice diamond earings I bought her as a wedding gift for the day we got married in Dom Rep.

All the items I pretty much have receipts for, the other I managed to get copies. The only thing I'm struggling with was the 2nd hand Ipad I bought from a guy on here around 18 months ago, I pad him through BACS but without going to the bank for a statement I have no proof or purchase. Also the Laptop was 2nd hand, but at £650 new (£400 I paid) its hard to prove I owned this also. Well that's how it goes, I just hope the insurance is straight forward.

Rob
Old 05 January 2013, 05:28 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Completely shocked Rob and you live in a quiet area, so if it can happen to you no one is safe Just glad you and the kids are ok as items can be replaced
Old 05 January 2013, 05:29 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you Rob and your family,if they can be that blatant whilst you are there i wonder what they would have done had you confronted them !!
Old 05 January 2013, 09:55 PM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Do you live in an area that has issues? Which area do you live?

Someone local to you obviously, probably someone who passes your house every day...
Old 05 January 2013, 11:11 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Cheers Banny and the rest of you, all is fine now, were over it, and to be honest with Xmas being just around the corner from the robbery, we didn't spend that much time thinking about it, we simply picked ourselves up and got on with it. As said getting the Police and Insurance involved was the bind, I mean explaining to the insurance what had happened made me feel like it was my fault, and that I was to blame. Nobody said such a comment, but its just how you feel naturally when you have been a victim of something.

Ref where I live, some will know that I live out in a small village called Earby, where pretty much everyone knows everyone.

I went down to the pub the following weekend after the incident, and I got talking to a women I have known for quite a few years (I was attempting to date her daughter 15 years ago lol) and she had also been robbed the same night, but she went to be leaving her door unlocked (doh). Also a shed was bust open the same night, but nothing was taken.

I know quite a few people in the car/mechanic world of all caliber, and ironically one of the guys (no names mentioned) works for the police as a mechanic, he managed to do some digging, and a few houses were turned over as a result which ended in one suspect being arrested, but no charges were made.

The goods are long gone now, and I just want to replace them, My laptop with CAD software on it is the most annoying, as I have some small jobs to do for folk on here who are pestering me, and Im struggling to do the designs on my old Dell. ;(

Rob
Old 06 January 2013, 02:27 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Sorry hear about that Rob and really gutted for you,just glad for you and your family is OK

Jura

Quick Reply: Robbed from right under my nose!