Newbie Advice ref STI Years

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2012, 12:17 PM
CDPDesign
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Advice ref STI Years

Hi All,

I'm new to here and looking for some advice if at all possible...

I've been a Scooby fan since I had my MY04 WRX that I sadly had to part with. Apart from it needing a new gearbox and clutch (within 1000 miles) it was bullet proof and a blast to drive!!!!

I'm currently looking to buy a WRX STI. The problem I have is I've been out of the scooby world for a long time and I have lost track of what is good and what is bad or should I say, which models are the best to go for and which have inherent problems.

I'm not a lover of the 'bugeye' and to be honest I don't want to get stung with £400+ a year road tax. I'm looking around £5k to £9k price wise, and will be needing to get from a dealer as I'm needing to get finance. The cars I have looked at on line seem fantastic, but some have DCCD and some don't, I'm not sure which do have it, or how beneficial it is etc... - as I said a fresh newbie!!!

Can anyone tell me which dealers stock top notch second hand cars as every car I find that I like the look of I find bad reports on the dealer!

Forgive my ignorance if this has been covered a million and one times, the problem I have is I am on a very short timescale and I need to get a car sorted within a week to 10 days due to family commitments and a new job.

Many thanks for any advice in advance...
Old 29 December 2012, 12:52 PM
dibbleyuk
Scooby Regular

Hey mate,

IMO the best model is the widetrack blob but they are quite rare and as they were only late54/05/55 plate but these are the stronger 2.0 engine have the same hawkeye interior and DCCD etc these can be brought well within your budget, If you can find a JDM model even better but once again these are even rarer!

Good luck finding a good car in such a short time frame its always wise to take your time and buy the right one not one because you need a car.

Last edited by dibbleyuk; 29 December 2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 29 December 2012, 01:09 PM
daz3883
Scooby Regular

Have you had a look on pistonheads. theres quite a few on there. You dont have to go to a garage to get finance though (you wont be limited to what you can get then). you can get finance on any car, if you know of someone that either works in a garage or has any correspondance with one they can get you finance on any car. or theres companies you can go through to get it over the internet. i did this for the mrs audi. found an audi a3 that she wanted. went to the local garage up the road (my mates a valeter there), explained the situation. he then contacted the seller. we put a deposit down. he then applied for finance. we waited three days for the finance company to issue a cheque. The local garage then gave me cash to go get it. as simple as that. Just some info if you think your limited to what you can buy
Old 29 December 2012, 01:31 PM
CDPDesign
Scooby Newbie

yep, been right through pistonheads, they are all either top dollar or private sales. Arrrggghh!
Old 29 December 2012, 04:00 PM
Arkynsei
Scooby Regular

In the same boat, looking for a Blob STI. Pistonheads ones are far too strong money. You'll have a job to find one in the time frame. Especially as a standard one which are ridiculously difficult to find.

On the other hand, I do have a blue hawkeye sport for sale . Non turbo but it's under the tax bracket you were afraid of! Less than your budget too at 4.5k

Always nice to get a cheeky plug on a thread.
Old 29 December 2012, 04:11 PM
CDPDesign
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the offer, but must be a turbo otherwise what's the point! lol

I'm going to see a place that have half a dozen or so nice clean examples... I'll report back with info once I've seen them... ;-)
Old 29 December 2012, 04:16 PM
Trippie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dibbleyuk
Hey mate,

IMO the best model is the widetrack blob but they are quite rare and as they were only late54/05/55 plate but these are the stronger 2.0 engine have the same hawkeye interior and DCCD etc these can be brought well within your budget, If you can find a JDM model even better but once again these are even rarer!

Good luck finding a good car in such a short time frame its always wise to take your time and buy the right one not one because you need a car.

just be aware that a JDM will cost more on your insurance.
Old 29 December 2012, 04:17 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

OP it may be worth naming the place you are going to view some cars, it may have some dubious history that you may wish you knew before you sign a deal
Old 29 December 2012, 05:25 PM
Arkynsei
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CDPDesign
Thanks for the offer, but must be a turbo otherwise what's the point! lol

I'm going to see a place that have half a dozen or so nice clean examples... I'll report back with info once I've seen them... ;-)
The point would be cheaper insurance, cheaper running costs while maintaining a respectable 0-60 time and stunning looks! But yes, if you can afford a turbo, go for one :3. Good luck in your search.

Also where is this mythical place?!
Old 29 December 2012, 05:29 PM
CDPDesign
Scooby Newbie

jctcars - spoken to the guy and he seems straight up. Will report my findings afterwards!
Old 29 December 2012, 05:30 PM
CDPDesign
Scooby Newbie

Before I forget Guys, thanks for the quick replies; its seems a great forum to be a member of... :-)
Old 29 December 2012, 05:31 PM
CDPDesign
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Originally Posted by Arkynsei
The point would be cheaper insurance, cheaper running costs while maintaining a respectable 0-60 time and stunning looks! But yes, if you can afford a turbo, go for one :3. Good luck in your search.

Also where is this mythical place?!
The Car is going to be a 'second' car anyway, so running costs aren't an issue. Insurance is only £280 FC- it will hardly do 6k per annum (miles) hence why it must be a turbo! ;-)
Old 29 December 2012, 05:33 PM
Arkynsei
Scooby Regular

Well there we go then! Sorted.

The JCT Cars website doesn't appear to be working. Not loading. Not heard of them either but sounds alright . I'm sure others may have an opinion.

Edit: After a google I've found pages from this site stating he's a good guy and having a look on his autotrader page it looks alright, just pretty expensive. 8.5k for a 2005 70k STI is far too much.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/dealer/4...ed/cars/page/2

Last edited by Arkynsei; 29 December 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 29 December 2012, 05:47 PM
CDPDesign
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Arkynsei
Well there we go then! Sorted.

The JCT Cars website doesn't appear to be working. Not loading. Not heard of them either but sounds alright . I'm sure others may have an opinion.

Edit: After a google I've found pages from this site stating he's a good guy and having a look on his autotrader page it looks alright, just pretty expensive. 8.5k for a 2005 70k STI is far too much.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/dealer/4...ed/cars/page/2
I agree, the prices are steep, but you can always barter on the day. I work in the trade and will be armed with the 'black book'

However, I'd rather pay over the odds and get a good egg so to speak than buy a lemon... The company owner has been totally transparent and very helpful; no pressure and has said he can source something if I need it....

Will keep you all posted when I get home.
Old 29 December 2012, 06:39 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I've heard good things about hurst cars, have a look usually has a good bit of stock in!
Old 29 December 2012, 06:48 PM
CDPDesign
Scooby Newbie

Nice kit on Hurst, however they are at the other end of the country and a similar price...
Old 29 December 2012, 07:39 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not a bank loan? More often than not, cheaper than finance! Have a look on Moneysupermarket.com or similar
Old 12 January 2013, 10:01 AM
CDPDesign
Scooby Newbie

Default Decisions Decisions!

Well I'm still hunting! The lat car I looked at fell through as the guy sold it from under me whilst arranging the finance.

I found another, a very tasty WRX300 but unfortunately the dealer couldn't complete for one reason and another...

So, I'm back on the hunt......

However, I really don't know what to do. All dealers seem to want around £2k over book for their STI's. When you suggest a deal they get offended as though you have accused them of daylight robbery!

I don't mind paying top book, but I don't want to pay over the odds.

I don't know whether to get a late 2.0 WRX PPP / STI or an early 2.5. The Spec D's look quite nice with the leather, (I prefer understated) The only thing I am certain of is I don't want a high mileage car; Ideally I'd prefer sub 50k miles. (or at a push sub 60k)

Are there any pro's /Cons regarding opting for 2.0 / 2.5? (Apart from Road tax, that isn't a real issue at the moment)...

Any advice will be greatly accepted!!!

Also, if anyone knows of a car fitting in my remit at a dealer then please yell out!

Thanks in advance!
Old 12 January 2013, 10:04 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Advice starts here
Old 12 January 2013, 11:02 AM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

2 things. ..

1. Have you checked out the for sale section on here?

2. I can recommend loans (small) from a loan company called Zopa. They are online and very good.

Good luck
Old 12 January 2013, 12:53 PM
CDPDesign
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Brun
Advice starts here
ah, so basically, If I get a 2.5 don't get the STI!!!
Old 12 January 2013, 03:41 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

No - just don't get a 2.5 full stop