ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What mods do I need for 360bhp

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2012, 06:16 PM
specky tigra
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mods do I need for 360bhp

I have got a v2 type ra ish and want to make it do 360 bhp ish reliable at the moment it's got a front mount 3inch exhaust and a filter.
Old 23 November 2012, 07:11 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi
Off the top my head for starters

Firstly standard internals on a car that old might not take the power for too long. But then again they might. Although it should have a closed deck block which will make a big difference.

You definately want a TY754 box to handle the torque the TY752 you will have in that might last but probably wont.

You will need 550 injectors to flow enough fuel at the top end.
Upgrade the fuel pump.
2.5 inch exhaust is usually better than 3inch sub 400hp
Sti 8 top mount is usually better than front mount sub 400hp
Suitable turbo - there are few to choose from
Induction kit. K&N would be my choice.
Suitable ECU set up.
You could also look at headers and up pipe as well.

Needs to have 4 pot brakes on at that power level.
Would suggest ARBs, drop links and a few other bits to give it a rounded setup in terms of brakes/suspension/engine power.

I am sure others will have more to add

Last edited by Steve Whitehorn; 23 November 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 23 November 2012, 07:51 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say take it to around 330bhp and save your self a big bag of cash, sti yellow injectors, walbro, and vf series turbo like a vf34 low ish boost and jobs a good un, the extra 30bhp could end up costing a packet.

Then learn to drive it properly with some tuition on track days using the extra cash saved.
Old 23 November 2012, 08:02 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I'd say take it to around 330bhp and save your self a big bag of cash, sti yellow injectors, walbro, and vf series turbo like a vf34 low ish boost and jobs a good un, the extra 30bhp could end up costing a packet.

Then learn to drive it properly with some tuition on track days using the extra cash saved.
I agree with the above. I personaly would take it to 320-330hp
Old 23 November 2012, 08:03 PM
specky tigra
Scooby Newbie

It's my daily driver I use the car on the road and some 1/4 mile runs. What are the problems of going for 360 likely to be?
By the this engine isn't in a scooby it's in my Corsa so it has to run a front mount cooler. I forgot to put it has a 255 in the tank. Am putting a swil pot on it soon with a Bosch 044 to run the engine
Old 23 November 2012, 08:09 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

is it a v2 sti motor?
Old 23 November 2012, 08:13 PM
specky tigra
Scooby Newbie

Yes mate it is.
Old 23 November 2012, 08:28 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Are you the guy with the home built tigra turbo?
Old 23 November 2012, 08:41 PM
specky tigra
Scooby Newbie

I am mate yes we'll there's a few tigras built at home mine is the blue one running over 700bhp
Old 23 November 2012, 10:08 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Was speaking to you at the pod a few years back along with Andy was it?? Purple corsa on bodies, I'm previous vauxhalls, couple cav turbos, m3 gsi let conversion Novas etc, was a pretty rampant thing that tigra fair to say you won't get no where near as much power out of the scoob block your going to be using ( in standard form ), what's your plans for this one fella? Looking forward to seeing it

Last edited by Infected by sti; 23 November 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 23 November 2012, 10:10 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well there are those that have ran the power your thinking of, but the general consensus of opinion is that the engine and gearboxes tend to spit their dummies out at or around the 350bhp mark, i gave mine quite a hard time at circa 330 and it's still alive, but this forum is littered with stories of people with blown engines and boxes before those figures, there are also the FEW that have run that and more but they are most certainly in the minority.

If your planing on giving it a hard time down the strip and in general, then it's a possibility, but a bit of mechanical sympathy goes a long way.

But that said if you managed to shoe horn the lump and box into a corsa and get it running, i doubt it will be too much of a concern for a man with your talent.
Old 23 November 2012, 10:16 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

The tigra he built went like **** off a shovel, if you could get the power down in that tidy and launch it like a scoob, I reckon it give most people a run for their money up the strip within reason
Old 24 November 2012, 12:38 AM
specky tigra
Scooby Newbie

[QUOTE=ditchmyster;10881021]Well there are those that have ran the power your thinking of, but the general consensus of opinion is that the engine and gearboxes tend to spit their dummies out at or around the 350bhp mark, i gave mine quite a hard time at circa 330 and it's still alive, but this forum is littered with stories of people with blown engines and boxes before those figures, there are also the FEW that have run that and more but they are most certainly in the minority.

If your planing on giving it a hard time down the strip and in general, then it's a possibility, but a bit of mechanical sympathy goes a long way.

But that said if you managed to shoe horn the lump and box into a corsa and get it running, i doubt it will be too much of a concern

Tbh honest am not too worried about it would just be nice to know what is the week links on these engines. An now starting to think would I be better forging the bottom end and using some Vvt heads on it. If the engine has it is won't take 360 and some pain it's not worth bothering with I may aswel do the bits before I kill it again.
Old 24 November 2012, 12:40 AM
specky tigra
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
The tigra he built went like **** off a shovel, if you could get the power down in that tidy and launch it like a scoob, I reckon it give most people a run for their money up the strip within reason
I still have the Tigra mate just having lot of problems with it
Old 24 November 2012, 07:20 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

If you want a good starting base in standard form then IMO I'd be going for a v7 bug or v8 blob jdm Sti motor, v7 said to be strongest bottom end with forged pistons but the v8 has hyperuetic pistons, both comes with over sized heads +1mm, avcs, jdm ecu has more function ability to play about to a certain degree.

If it's gonna be doing the same stuff as the tigra I wouldn't even contemplate the bottom end your going to use unless you forge It from the off or you will probably run in to more problems than its worth tbh, a standard bottom end type jdm are known for taking higher numbers, I'm at 453 on mine all stock, pushing for more shortly with a blast of meth, there are others that have run over 500 on a standard motor and have been fine, each to their own I suppose and the luck that comes with it all

On a serious note what box are you planning to use as well bud? As the 5 speeds are said not to take as much abuse as the 6 speed, no first hand experience personally but it seems to be the norm when reading up on here that they like to **** themselves out up the road
Old 24 November 2012, 07:21 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

What probs you having with the old faithful then will that be seeing anymore action