Sponsored by:

Sti up-pipe & gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2012, 02:28 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sti up-pipe & gaskets

I have been told that my 04 uk blob sti needs a new exhaust up-pipe gaskets &/or possibly a new up-pipe due to a slight leak or crack. I've been informed it's more than likely the gaskets that need replacing. However I'm unsure whether to buy both items (gasket & up pipe) as I don't want to pay the labour costs x 2 if it's simply not the gaskets. My questions are:
Is it common for the up-pipe to develop a crack?
Where can I buy the correct gaskets at a reasonable price?
If I buy the up-pipe is it worthwhile buying an aftermarket one or will the standard up-pipe suffice?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers
Old 22 November 2012, 02:55 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

lots of people change up-pipes some dont, its personal preference. However there are gains to be had from changing the standard up-pipe to an aftermarket. If it helps I have a harvey smith slip jointed up-pipe which helped towards a better driveable car with better throttle response. The car feels more livelier with it on but as I saw some dont warrant the improvement with having one fitted.

Try RCM for gaskets
Old 22 November 2012, 07:49 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chet123
lots of people change up-pipes some dont, its personal preference. However there are gains to be had from changing the standard up-pipe to an aftermarket. If it helps I have a harvey smith slip jointed up-pipe which helped towards a better driveable car with better throttle response. The car feels more livelier with it on but as I saw some dont warrant the improvement with having one fitted.

Try RCM for gaskets
Thanks mate. I will check RCM out. As for the up-pipe I was interested in buying one of Harvey's signature ones but unfortunately now that he has passed away (rip), I think I will be struggling to find one.
Old 22 November 2012, 08:44 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The sti up-pipes are a bugger for breaking the tin heatsheils off causing it to sound like a bag of spanners.

i have a brand new pair of up-pipe gaskets. one were it joins the headers & one under the turbo, genuine subaru items in packets £15 + p&p
Old 22 November 2012, 10:41 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
The sti up-pipes are a bugger for breaking the tin heatsheils off causing it to sound like a bag of spanners.

i have a brand new pair of up-pipe gaskets. one were it joins the headers & one under the turbo, genuine subaru items in packets £15 + p&p
Cheers Rob, I may go for that. I'm just weighing up whether to buy an aftermarket up-pipe or not just in case the oe one has cracked. If I do I'll get the gaskets free with it but if I decide to go with just the gaskets I will probably give u a shout.
Old 23 November 2012, 08:56 AM
craigybaby
Scooby Regular

I fitted a Sti up pipe to my car I took the heat shield off and wrapped it instead been fine ever since
Old 23 November 2012, 11:21 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigybaby
I fitted a Sti up pipe to my car I took the heat shield off and wrapped it instead been fine ever since
Think I'm gonna try the new gaskets along with removing the heat shield & wrapping it in that case. Cheers
Old 06 December 2012, 09:44 PM
djwa
Scooby Regular

Hi sorry to highjack was wondering what type of up pipe would fit on a blobeye wrx i know a blobeye sti will fit im sure i read some where but cant find it now that a classic up pipe would fit would that be an sti 1 or wrx?
Old 06 December 2012, 10:12 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could do with pressing the little, round dot on your keyboard now and again. it would make your question easier to read.

the wrx has a cat in the up-pipe, the sti doesn't. i think a classic up-pipe will fit a newage. i think it's just the 2.5's and twin scroll's that won't fit. if you fit and sti one to a wrx, it will need a remap.

anyway, back on topic- for the cost difference, i'd get a new one. be careful with the ebay specials and flexi pipes, some are worse than a std item. i'd get a harvey one or RCM (i think they do one)
Old 07 December 2012, 02:20 PM
djwa
Scooby Regular

Whats the point in pulling me up about full stops i know there is a cat in a wrx up pipe thats why i wanted to know about a classic up pipe as they dont have a cat in them im just unsure if i need a classic wrx up pipe or an sti one
Old 07 December 2012, 06:45 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

a blob sti Up-pipe will fit, However you will need to fit a 2 ohm resister to the multiplug for the EGT sensor.
Old 07 December 2012, 07:22 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

classic and new-age up-pipes are all the same fitment................

(obviously a twin scroll car is different)

alyn
Old 07 December 2012, 08:38 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

Doesn't the heat shield have a bracket to connect to car? As i have a sti pipe but not fitted it yet, and can see a bracket attached.
Old 07 December 2012, 08:52 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Wrapping it wont prevent for it to crack bud...

Old 07 December 2012, 08:56 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PhilWrx100
Doesn't the heat shield have a bracket to connect to car? As i have a sti pipe but not fitted it yet, and can see a bracket attached.

On a subaru sti up-pipe there is a flat plate on the rear of it with 2 x 6mm captive nuts welded in Its simply there to affix a lower heatshield around the factory cat.
Old 07 December 2012, 09:39 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
On a subaru sti up-pipe there is a flat plate on the rear of it with 2 x 6mm captive nuts welded in Its simply there to affix a lower heatshield around the factory cat.
thanks Rob, for the info