Sponsored by:

stripping sti8 avcs heads

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2012, 01:51 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripping sti8 avcs heads

Hello all, i've took the lump out my blob sti due to big end faliure, i'm in the process of stripping the engine down to inspect crank etc and have got to the point where the heads are ready to come off, before i progress any further with it i need a bit of info on the avcs.

I've never messed with the scooby avcs system before so i want to find out as much as i can before i carry on. I have messed with other types of vvc in the past so sort of understand how it works.

Is there anything i need to do before i start taking the cams out? are the pulleys/avcs units timed in relation to the cams or can i just unbolt the cam carriers and lift the pulleys and cams out as one unit and not have to worry about the cam timing?

Whats the correct process i need to follow in order to remove the cams effectively?

Last edited by gazzawrx; 03 November 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03 November 2012, 04:47 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

right i can see the pulleys/avcs units are supposed to come off in order to remove the rear timing belt covers, however i reckon i can take the covers off with the heads as they seperate from the centre rear timing belt cover therefore not needing to take the units off the cams, however is it possible to undo the cam carrier caps and wiggle the cams enough to get the head bolts undone or are the cams gonna need to be clear of the head in order to get at the head bolts properly.

The only issue i'm having is whether the cams can be seperated from the avcs units without any detrimental affects to the cam-avcs timing, if it's just a case of seperate them both and slot them back together on re-installation than thats fine and i'll carry on, i dont wanna risk ballsing up the avcs unit timing and then when i put it all together it ends up ruining my valves.

It's only the block i need to rebuild as the heads have recently been refurb'd so if i need to leave it all connected to the head in some way i can in order to just get the heads clear of the block.

Last edited by gazzawrx; 03 November 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03 November 2012, 05:12 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Just take the pulleys off, you dont need to worry about the avcs side of things being technical. It's all very simple.
Old 03 November 2012, 05:59 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

You must remove the avc's pulleys to strip this correctly, there only timed by the usual dowel to the cam, the same as non avc's pulleys.

Seeing as its had big end failure it would be wise to strip & wash out the oil galleries in the heads, i have also had debris in the avc's units also on big end failures, especially if the gauze filters in the avc's banjo connectors are either missing or damaged.
Old 03 November 2012, 06:23 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

ok thanks both, which set of bolts do i need to undo as there's 3 different sets on each pully here?

Last edited by gazzawrx; 03 November 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03 November 2012, 06:29 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The 3 7mm headed bolts on the small centre plate, then the 10mm hex bolt behind it.
The torx bolts seperate the avc's hub only.
Old 03 November 2012, 06:32 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
The 3 7mm headed bolts on the small centre plate, then the 10mm hex bolt behind it.
The torx bolts seperate the avc's hub only.
thanks for the info lads you've been a big help.

I'll pull the covers off in a sec and see what i find

My blooby battery impact gun aint strong enough to remove the crank pulley bolt and my cracker bar's at work so i need to makeshift a way of getting the bolt undone with a limited tool supply.

A job for tomorrow now though as i've just got cleaned up ready for some munch.

Last edited by gazzawrx; 03 November 2012 at 06:34 PM.