Subaru Myths

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2012, 01:03 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Myths

Hi

Recently picked up a turbo 2000 with PPP. Great car, really like it.

I got told lots of things before buying, Thought I would share my experiences after a month of ownership (just a bit of fun really):

"Everyone will try to race you"

No they wont, infact, no one has batted an eyelid... I don't think anyone notices? Odd cos its fookin loud, but Im not complaining.

"Its going to cost an arm and a leg to run"

No it isnt. When driven carefully it uses the same amount as fuel as my old 318 beemer. The insurance didnt go up, it came down. Road tax is the same as my previous car.

"You'll be seen as a boy racer"

See first comment... no one has noticed, despite the noisy exhaust. I don't think people really care?

Anyone else got any myths to dispel? Maybe theyre all true and I'm just too sensible

Last edited by Jazzy Jefferson; 25 October 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 25 October 2012, 01:19 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I like to dispel the boy racer/everyone will want to race you myth by driving very courtesley, letting people out of junction, always indicating etc. Always makes me smile when I get a thanks from some old fuddy duddy.

Of course if it's someone in a range rover or just driving like a complete idiot it's a different matter

Last edited by IainMilford; 25 October 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 25 October 2012, 01:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Tuning them isn't cheap.
Tuning them badly can result in HEAVY expenses
If you have an "off" in one, it's likely to be a big'un.
Old 25 October 2012, 01:21 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

When I was buying I was getting told say goodbye to your clutch every 3k miles

Yeah maby if you live down Santa pod, but on day to day in sure they will last 50k miles
Old 25 October 2012, 01:33 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IainMilford
I like to dispel the boy racer/everyone will want to race you myth by driving very courtesley, letting people out of junction, always indicating etc. Always makes me smile when I get a thanks from some old fuddy duddy.

Of course if it's someone in a range rover or just driving like a complete idiot it's a different matter
The way it should be done
Old 25 October 2012, 01:37 PM
scoobyrob2002
Scooby Regular

"Everyone will try to race you"

well I ve had first hand experiences had vans, coras ,vw ect they only try when setting off from lights , o and i had a r32 pull by me on the M25, passenger leaning of of the window asking for a race! Idiot
Old 25 October 2012, 01:49 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

It's dead easy and cheap to tune subaru's, manual boost controller and up the boost and bang you get extra 100bhp.

but then your pistons take a flier at the pedestrians.

And there in is the issue, its very easy to get extra power from them, much harder and more expensive to get it out of them reliably. Its because people who have no idea blow them up cutting modding corners that they have a bad rep. Look after them and they will go for 150k miles +
Old 25 October 2012, 02:26 PM
Frylite
Scooby Regular

I find people do try to race you :/ kinda annoying but i just drive slower untill they either drop back or over take i cba risking my car/licence/Peoples lives to prove i am quicker than a 1.4 Corsa B. Plus i dont want to live up to the stereotype of boy racer.
Old 25 October 2012, 02:28 PM
derek sti
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well said.
Old 25 October 2012, 03:04 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

I find people do try to race you :/ kinda annoying but i just drive slower untill they either drop back or over take i cba risking my car/licence/Peoples lives to prove i am quicker than a 1.4 Corsa B. Plus i dont want to live up to the stereotype of boy racer

I could not have put that better if I tried!
Old 25 October 2012, 03:56 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L3YMS
When it snowed heavily everyone kept telling me "you'll be okay, you've got a 4x4"

I had to point out that yes its a bit better than a 2WD vehicle but with low ground clearance, normal road tyres, and a ****e load of power begging to spin the wheels sending you sideways, a go anywhere landrover it isn't
Oh be so careful on here as telling home truths like that will land you in all sorts of trouble.

According to some on here they are able to drive their Scoobs anywhere they like in the snow and ice while everyone else is stuck at the roadside

Just wait until winter hits for the Subaru ultimate ice car threads
Old 25 October 2012, 04:03 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not so much everyone wanting to race you as see you launch away, they sit up your **** trying to get you to floor it.
Old 25 October 2012, 04:33 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I must admit I obliged for a lad on his Sprint ST Triumph the other day. I didn't expect to pull away from him either as he was flat out too....

Generally I take it easy and NEVER race....and I'm nearly ready to put the winter tyres on, lift the old girl up 30mm and remove the front lip.

I usually disconnect the three-way as well. Smooths it out nicely.
Old 25 October 2012, 05:37 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Tuning them isn't cheap.
Tuning them badly can result in HEAVY expenses
If you have an "off" in one, it's likely to be a big'un.
Depends what you compare em to mate
A mate with a Ferrari 430 spent over £5k replacing his manifold because it cracked, and well over a few grand when he had his clutch done.

His previous Porsche 996(?) X50 was much the same, although that was a VERY rapid car as it had been tinkered with, but he broke the gearbox and was quoted over £10k to fix it.

When you compare that to a tuned Scoob that could probably keep up with a porka in many scenarios, and how much the latter would cost, plus the cost of parts for the latter, sometimes it makes sense when you look at the alternatives!
Old 25 October 2012, 05:40 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by L3YMS
When it snowed heavily everyone kept telling me "you'll be okay, you've got a 4x4"

I had to point out that yes its a bit better than a 2WD vehicle but with low ground clearance, normal road tyres, and a ****e load of power begging to spin the wheels sending you sideways, a go anywhere landrover it isn't!

If you want myth cloaked transport try commuting on an electric bike! I am thinking of having fliers made up stating the facts as I get asked almost daily.
So true , and its not a great thing to have in your head when driving in the snow , makes u think you are fine until...........you are going sideways . Powerslides dont work well on public roads !
Old 25 October 2012, 06:03 PM
djwa
Scooby Regular

Plenty of ********* around this area with there stupid done up chav fiesta st's, corsas, saxo vts Pug gti's wanting a race i just open my window up and say whats the point its like putting Amir Khan in the ring with vitali klitschko Pointless
Old 25 October 2012, 06:33 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

tend to find its youngsters in saxo's ect that drive right up your a*se trying to race, i just indicate and pull into slow lane and let them by.
apart from that no hassles from any other road users.

on public roads i dont race - tbh i just sh*t myself i get caught or hurt someone - altho i do have a blast myself up empty slip roads ect, but on my own, just for the buzz of acceleration, not in a race with anyone.
i must be getting old lol. but if i hurt or god forbid killed someone due to a few seconds of absolute stupidity i couldnt live with that on my concience.
Old 25 October 2012, 07:23 PM
Scoobyfan2012
Scooby Regular

I tend to find all the boy racers are out on the friday/saturday night.
Old 25 October 2012, 07:26 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

"Lightweight version with alloy doors and boot"
Old 25 October 2012, 08:21 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
tend to find its youngsters in saxo's ect that drive right up your a*se trying to race, i just indicate and pull into slow lane and let them by.

on public roads i dont race - tbh i just sh*t myself i get caught or hurt someone - altho i do have a blast myself up empty slip roads ect, but on my own, just for the buzz of acceleration, not in a race with anyone.
i must be getting old lol. but if i hurt or god forbid killed someone due to a few seconds of absolute stupidity i couldnt live with that on my concience.
Totally agree with this. Basically in the scoob we've got nothing to prove really, so why bother. It's for OUR fun, at appropriate times as said above, and frankly I don't waste the fuel on these muppets
Old 25 October 2012, 09:02 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby546
Totally agree with this. Basically in the scoob we've got nothing to prove really, so why bother. It's for OUR fun, at appropriate times as said above, and frankly I don't waste the fuel on these muppets
haha, yeah im not out on the road looking to race others - but enjoy my own car in what i consider safe conditions.

imagine the feeling of "smoking a saxo" on city streets, or even on twisty b roads?? that feeling would just leave me thinking, sh*t i couldve killed somebody there, not woohoo i beat a 1.6l car.
Old 25 October 2012, 10:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djwa
Plenty of ********* around this area with there stupid done up chav fiesta st's, corsas, saxo vts Pug gti's wanting a race i just open my window up and say whats the point its like putting Amir Khan in the ring with vitali klitschko Pointless
I think your analogy is a little off. Standard turbos, WRXs etc. aren't actually that quick really and many modded hot hatches will pretty much keep up quite easily in the right conditions.
Old 26 October 2012, 08:13 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I think your analogy is a little off. Standard turbos, WRXs etc. aren't actually that quick really and many modded hot hatches will pretty much keep up quite easily in the right conditions.

And your point is? To race them as we <do> have something to prove because we drive a pedigree car ?

To answer the stupid post, admittedly, a standard pre-2008 STi will have more competition that the latest models as they have bit more punch with 300+ as standard. As for racing, I will not incriminate myself here
Old 26 October 2012, 08:18 AM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef

Well said that man!!!!!!! Too many nobbers on the road driving like tw@'s
Old 26 October 2012, 09:06 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carlh
And your point is? To race them as we <do> have something to prove because we drive a pedigree car ?
Nope, just to point out that one of the 'myths' is that the Impreza is leagues ahead of hot hatches performance wise when in many guises it isn't.

Originally Posted by Carlh
To answer the stupid post, admittedly, a standard pre-2008 STi will have more competition that the latest models as they have bit more punch with 300+ as standard.
Don't think there is much in it considering how much a post 2008 weighs.

As for the Subaru being a pedigree car
Old 26 October 2012, 09:49 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

There are plenty of modern hot hatches that will keep up with an Impreza . . . it's mostly down to driver skill/stupidity/bravery whatever you drive.

Also, some of the poorly thought out mods some folks are sticking on their cars actually makes them slower. We've had plenty of threads on here recently where someone is asking if sticking a cone filter and de-cat will make their car go faster without a remap. So, if they're asking the questions some people must be doing it. When I first bought my car (7 years ago) it had some ****e mods that actually brought the power down to less than 180 bhp

I must confess I've never thought of an Impreza as a pedigree car - it's blood line if very brief albeit quite glorious in places. Not knocking them, afterall I have one!

Mind you, I don't bother to find out if mine is faster - like Jeff, pull over and let them get knicked. I like my insurance reasonable.
Old 26 October 2012, 09:57 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sprigeteer
I must confess I've never thought of an Impreza as a pedigree car - it's blood line if very brief albeit quite glorious in places. Not knocking them, afterall I have one!
Exactly and I am not knocking it either as I have one too and have done since 1996, but it has no more or less pedigree than the hot hatches it was being compared to in the post. Arguably a Citoren or a Peugeot has more pedigree to be frank!
Old 26 October 2012, 10:13 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Very interesting thread.

I must ask the OP though how long he has owned the car for? Give it time. LOL

My personal opinion is if you look after a car it will look after you.

I normally find round my area the saxo and corsa leave you alone. I normally find its the rep mobils like BMW 3 ,5 series , Golfs, Mercs Ford Mondeos that push right up your ****.

I personally just let them sit there and only if I think they are being reckless do I think sod it and pull in another lane or a couple of times I give them the bird finger and pull away from them then allow them to continue driving like a tit.

You then get the other side of the coin where you get complemented from other car owners if you don't drive like a tit. Other car enthusiasts appriciate you like cars too and acknowledge that .

At the end of the day some folks on here need to wake up. There are many cars out there available that can out pace a scoob, give you better mpg (if your worried about that don't get a scoob) , safer , more modern etc.
Old 26 October 2012, 11:26 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Very interesting thread.

I must ask the OP though how long he has owned the car for? Give it time. LOL

My personal opinion is if you look after a car it will look after you.

I normally find round my area the saxo and corsa leave you alone. I normally find its the rep mobils like BMW 3 ,5 series , Golfs, Mercs Ford Mondeos that push right up your ****.

I personally just let them sit there and only if I think they are being reckless do I think sod it and pull in another lane or a couple of times I give them the bird finger and pull away from them then allow them to continue driving like a tit.

You then get the other side of the coin where you get complemented from other car owners if you don't drive like a tit. Other car enthusiasts appriciate you like cars too and acknowledge that .

At the end of the day some folks on here need to wake up. There are many cars out there available that can out pace a scoob, give you better mpg (if your worried about that don't get a scoob) , safer , more modern etc.
Bang on Steve.
In regards to comments re new hot hatches, yeah there are plenty that can keep up in a straight line. Add corners into the mix and it becomes interesting - a sport could probably lose a Focus ST in the bends if driven well enough.

I've gone down a straight empty bit of road with a mate in an ST running 300ish bhp, versus me on 320bhp. On the straights, he was easily able to match me and I daresay a bit quicker too (the 2.5 and no loss through AWD would certainly have helped), but on corners he said he found he was all over the place trying to keep up with me, and had to drop right back to avoid binning it.

I personally like the scoob because I find it a good all rounder, and a practical car. Yes I could go buy a 350Z but it's not practical. Yes, I could buy an Astra or Corsa VXR, but feel like I'd need to wear a baseball cap to drive one - wrong image.
I actually really like the outside of the new Focus RS, but the plasticky interior does leave me dead - compared to my blob STI, I think the RS looks dull internally and think they could have done a better job, in particular, on the switchgear, dash and steering wheel, all of which look like they've been lifted from the cheapest Mondeo in the range.

As said by many on here though, the worst culprits are the Saxos and Corsas often sit there trevving it up at the lights, but seriously who cares, even a Sport could wipe the floor with the majority of them, let alone a WRX.

That was one of the reasons I changed to a different colour when I bought an STI. I do miss the WR blue colour of my old bug WRX, but it just attracted all the wrong sorts of attention at times; crystal grey = less hassle from nutters and chavs.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 26 October 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 26 October 2012, 11:41 AM
K3ogh_sti
Scooby Regular

People that tell you the cons are the people that would want one but haven't got the ***** to go and buy one ! Simple, I had the exact same when I bought mine, ' it's going to cost this much......blah blah...! When there driving round in 98 vectra diesels

Quick Reply: Subaru Myths