Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Virgin Grade Methanol & Recovered Methanol..

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2012, 10:13 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virgin Grade Methanol & Recovered Methanol..

Hi Guys,

Just looking at a number of suppliers online and had a ring about.

I know there is virgin grade 99.95% pure methanol which everyone gets from jennychem and trinity etc. to run their cars on.

But some suppliers i have seen also do recovered methanol, which they say is used but is still virgin grade. is this possible? does it lose any of its qualities?

is it still 99.95% like they say?

or would you see issues? some suppliers done even advertise it as recovered just say virgin grade meth.

anyone know much about it? ive seen some that say recovered meth at 99.80% pure aswell as 99.95% virgin grade recovered.. any mappers able to comment on the effects if you used that 99.80% meth in your car without knowing? or would it not be noticable?

Cheers

Eddy

Last edited by eggy790; 10 October 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10 October 2012, 11:22 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

http://www.p1woc.co.uk/forums/showth...vered+methanol

just found this.. i guess it answers it..

be aware folks
Old 10 October 2012, 12:41 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Link's not working Eddy.
Old 10 October 2012, 01:18 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Link's not working Eddy.
my bad, ill copy it out..

Originally Posted by Skullfudge p1woc
I have been in contact with a Fuel Research company today and various emails have been exchanged and still are.

DMC is a petrochemical by-product (di-methyl carbimide) associated with recovered methanol rather than virgin.

Generally speaking, recovered methanol will also contain a spectrum of other SPs (side products)including toluene, benzene, phenol, ethanol etc.

This would, in principle, certainly account for the unstable engine performance I have been experiencing over the past few month.
I'm not talking about the recent issue but something I have noticed over a long period, although sustained. It has not become worse. It only happens in 5th & 6th on boost, & rarely in 4th. Rather than a smooth acceleration it sometimes spits & misses very slightly. This would prove correct as the engine is working much harder on boost in the highest gears.

I have a feeling chaps we need to go virgin.
Recovered Methanol also recovers other by-products that the most accurate mapping would not amend.

The mentioned SP's include Toluene. I've had first time experience with this stuff as I use to order it from G-Max research and we used it in Steve Palmers Metro 6R4 back in the Rallycross days. We poured a pint of Toluene per gallon of fuel & the difference was bordering insane.

My next purchase will be Virgin Meths. I will be trying to source some tomorrow.
I have a feeling this will be the answer.
25 Ltr drums of Virgin Meths.
Originally Posted by Damien P1 on p1woc
good info mate...........I knew not to go recovered and have always used virgin grade anyway......price difference is only a few quid between.........

as clive said recovered methanol got other recovered properties of fuels/additives in there too and is not as pure as virgin grade...........virgin grade is normally around 99.5% to 99.95% pure..........recovered methanol is normally 99.3 and lower so is not as good simples

again..............trinity-research.co.uk

its cheap as chips guys...........prob the cheapest you'll find by a long shot............this was all off the meths group buy I was trying to sort out and after stumbling and finding some rip off places I conclude that this was the best even for delivery prices no-one was beating it..............its that cheap and good that I gave the link to Scoobyclinic and without beating an eyelid were straight on the website and the methanol was half the price that they pay for at jennychem...........you get a choice of 1,5,10,20,25,60 and 205 litre drums..........all plastic so better than the steel and all with great delivery prices...........

Please feel free to post up if you find methanol virgin grade 99.95% cheaper anywhere else.
after speaking with another supplier, it seems that them side products are only in recovered methanol if they recover from a chemical background.. if you use from something like a soap background, it goes back to exactly what it was before the virgin grade etc. without any side products..and this specific supplier says you wont notice a difference.

what are peoples thoughts? even the chaps who sell pure virgin grade such as trinity also sell recovered methanol at high spec 99.87%.. now would that be enough to mess your car up?

Last edited by eggy790; 10 October 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 21 December 2013, 10:19 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

thought id bump this up as ive noticed methanol getting more and more expensive at virgin grade and many suppliers seem to be only stocking recovered stuff.. as bulk of their business is those who make bio