Reserve Price

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2012, 07:27 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Reserve Price

hi all,

bit sneaky I know, but just wanted to know if on ebay I can go into my advert and set a reserve price.

I didn't do it when i set the advert up, but now the bidding has begun (2 bids), and I'm usure if it's too late to put in a reserve price.

If i can, can someone please tell / pm me how to?

sorry and thanks!

Matty
Old 02 October 2012, 07:45 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Nope.

Just get a mate to place a bid just under the price you want the reserve at.
Old 02 October 2012, 07:50 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

ok, but I don't know / think i can put a reserve on it now?

I think it's too late?

But i don't want to sell my wheels to someone for £50 lol
Old 02 October 2012, 07:54 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Nope.

Just get a mate to place a bid just under the price you want the reserve at.
Called shill bidding and against ebay rules, not that you're likely to get caught.
To put a reserve on now you would have to close the auction and close all bids. Then re-start the auction with your reserve. Why not just let the auction run and see what the final bid is. It's not like you're legally bound to sell the item to the highest bidder at the end. Just state item no longer available for sale somewhere in the ebay pages.
You could always edit your listing and state you will not sell under a certain amount.
Old 02 October 2012, 08:01 PM
Shaggy1991
Scooby Regular

As above, you can do the two most annoying things thinkable on eBay (well for us buyers anyway) get someone to hike the price to your minimum level, or clearly write in the ad, *reserve the right to remove at any point - advertised elsewhere* (or something similar), but end it before the auction ends if you write that as I believe that you have entered a legally binding contract once the auction has ended?

Originally Posted by chopperman
Called shill bidding and against ebay rules, not that you're likely to get caught.
To put a reserve on now you would have to close the auction and close all bids. Then re-start the auction with your reserve. Why not just let the auction run and see what the final bid is. It's not like you're legally bound to sell the item to the highest bidder at the end. Just state item no longer available for sale somewhere in the ebay pages.
You could always edit your listing and state you will not sell under a certain amount.
Old 02 October 2012, 08:40 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
ok, but I don't know / think i can put a reserve on it now?

I think it's too late?

But i don't want to sell my wheels to someone for £50 lol
You miss understood what I was saying.

No, you can't place a reserve on your listing now. BUT, think of a number that you would except for them, £300 for example. Get one of your pals to then bid on your wheels with a max bid of say £290. That way if the wheels don't make over £290 your safe.

Yes yes yes it's against eBay rules and pi55es everyone off but hey, I've done it and I'm sure anybody else would if they were about to let a £300 set of wheels sell for £50.
Old 02 October 2012, 08:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUT, I have seen the bidding on bargains like this go bonkers in the last few seconds .... it can go from, say, £60 all the way to £300+ within a few seconds of the close.

It's a gamble ..... but, people like bidding if they think a bargain is on the cards - they will switch off completely if it's obvious a mate has upped the bidding to silly levels too soon - and it IS all too obvious when it happens!
Old 02 October 2012, 09:05 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
You miss understood what I was saying.

No, you can't place a reserve on your listing now. BUT, think of a number that you would except for them, £300 for example. Get one of your pals to then bid on your wheels with a max bid of say £290. That way if the wheels don't make over £290 your safe.

Yes yes yes it's against eBay rules and pi55es everyone off but hey, I've done it and I'm sure anybody else would if they were about to let a £300 set of wheels sell for £50.
you'll need to do a mutual agreement with your pal to cancel the transaction after though as you'll get stung for a final value fee of 10% of sale price otherwise