Classic Sti OEM shocks / KYB??

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2012, 09:16 PM
Djgyro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Sti OEM shocks / KYB??

Hi all,

I have a version 6 Sti (MY99) needing new rear shocks. My garage wants to put some coilies on her but I live in Scotland and the roads are dire so I don't want a rougher ride or to deviate too far from standard.

Just really want to fit two new shocks and keep the original springs! Anyone know of any alternative to the pricey genuine Sti units?

Ebay throws up KYBs, anyone had any experience of them? 2 year guarantee which should see me through to when I upgrade.

Cheers dudes
Old 30 September 2012, 09:30 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

KYB actually manufacture the Subaru OEM shocks. No problems with them, i replaced all of mine with the KYB UltraSR's and lowering springs rather than going coilovers too.
Old 30 September 2012, 09:30 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always worth looking in the Market place on here as there are always Imprezas being broken for spare parts and if you're going to upgrade in a couple of years then a second hand set may be ok.

KYB actually made the OE STI red suspension.

My suspension on my 1998 Type R was knackered so upgraded to the Bilstein units which were part of the WR Sport package (i think) so may be worth looking a set (mine was £600 off ebay) and I think they are fantastic.
Old 30 September 2012, 10:11 PM
Djgyro
Scooby Regular

Guys, as usual info very much appreciated! Will deffo check out the Bilstein units but have a feeling the KYB units will be perfect

Cheers dudes