Sponsored by:

Handling - not what I expected !

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2001, 12:31 AM
paulhoubart
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

If this isn't the forum for this question, than apologies .... !

I was following a Citreon VTS yesterday, and we cam around a right hand bend, doing approx. 40-45 MPH. Short version of the story is Citreon goes around bend fine, I follow, car ends up wobbling all over the place - front end slides first, followed by lesser oversteer. I've got a STI 1 5 door, only on 15 inchers at the moment, and the back tyres aren't the greatest, but ....

The road at the time seemed quite 'greasy' - not wet, but certainley not dry. My quesiton is, my instinct when it started was to back off the throttle, but I suspect this may of made things worse. Am I correct in stating that with a AWD vehicle like a Subaru, holding onto the throttle position would allow the car to 'pull' itself around the corner ?
Old 19 April 2001, 12:43 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can say 2 things straight off:

1). Do not back off mid-bend in a Scooby, unless you particularly fond of visiting fields.

2). Saxo VTR/VTS smaller lighter car, so more effective than a bigger heavier car around really tight corners.

I would say at corners of that speed there is very little to chose between my Scooby and my old VTR, however the faster the corner the bigger the Imprezas advantage.

Prepare to be told to get the bump steer mod done

You said that the back tyres are not the best, therefore implying the fronts OK, which itself implies that only the front tyres were replaced, which is not a good thing, as all four should really be replaced at the same time. It might also be worth getting your geometry checked out.