Sponsored by:

My BRZ test drive.

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2012, 02:06 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My BRZ test drive.

Well after waiting for a month to drive the BRZ I finally got the chance today. I got to the showroom and outside waited a WR blue SE Lux BRZ, I must say the styling from the outside is spot on IMO. The cabin was not bad either, As this was the lux model it did come with alcantara seats which were a nice addition.

The drive was a mix of country lanes and duel carriageways, first the carriageways. This is where the car is really let down I think, the engine is so gutless and you really have to rev the thing. It's a real shame really. Cruising at a steady 70 is no drama with the road noise almost non-existent.

Off the A road and on to the B roads. As I hit the twistys the car really held on well and gives the confidance to keep pushing on. The ride is firm but forgiving when you hit bumps and pot holes.

In summary the BRZ imo, a great looking car held back by an under-powered engine. Yours for £27,000 hmmm think I'd save a few grand and get an 2010 STI.
Old 24 August 2012, 02:34 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or wait for the brz sti
Old 24 August 2012, 03:03 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
or wait for the brz sti
+1
Nice cars, but 200BHP
Old 24 August 2012, 03:13 PM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

The 2012 STI is £26,995.
Old 24 August 2012, 04:07 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

BRZ test drive thanks to Newcastle Subaru

Well I was one of the lucky ones and had a test drive at Subaru newcastle last Thursday morning as they got it for a couple of days for customers

I went to see it a few weeks ago to see it in the showroom
Unfortunely it was a really wet day so didn't get much chance to really test it out properly
As the misses went with me we were given an hour for valuation it was based in north shields so not knowing any of the area we took it to Whitley bay rather then risk getting it into the proper countryside so I was stuck to 30/40 zones

It looks fantastic
Very low
And wider then you think
Inside it feels nice and not a claustrophobia as a Mazda mx5 or porsche boxster and that does make a pleasant difference
The seats are superb and really grip you but if your a bit fatter then me I'm 13-5 stone you might feel a bit tight
The misses loved the seats the dashboard is far higher quality plastics over my hatch and wagon I own a real plus this for Subaru the red stitching makes for a very classy envoronment to live in ,not quite the wow factor of a TT or Porsche but I was really impressed with it .

The one I had was a manuel with the push button starter which is a nice touch ,clutch in ,button press ,it feels something special and a nice quite buzz from the engine .
It has all the toys you require and was a lot nicer then our now sold 350z

Headroom was something I was worried about being 6 ft but it was great with another 6inch of head room and the misses did not complaine it was too low neither ,and interersting she didn't seem to feel much lower then my other subarus

Very notchy with a lovely feel gearbox so tight and close together and on the dash a number to see what gear I was in .
Despite no turbo it revs really quickly and once you are past 4k revs the noise is magnicifant not a flat four sound but just a roar which is addictive and makes you want to continue and change up through the gear box and will potter along in 5th gear

Never had a chance to get into 6th gear because if the town area mostly 3rd gear

Got to st marys lighthouse car park and when the better half went to the toilet did a few figure of eights and I could not get the back end out at all it was amazing and really quick despite not having a turbo the light weigh makes it feel really responsive
Tried a couple of corners and it seemed ok but being in the town and really wet I could not really put it through the paces properly

The misses did say she didn't feel thrown back into the seat like in my classic though .

The noise was super when you put the foot down so the radio would never be used
We had to get back to the garage and it was turning heads going through the town

Did I get the cheque book out ?

Delivery in red is 6months away so plenty of time to decide as I do need another test drive on the roads I know with proper corners to evaluate whether I can live with it or play it safe and get a STi with 4wd again as I know I can chuck it around at silly speeds and out the other side safely and I'm worried about fast progress in the rain and of course snow where I live at in the country the old awd against the safety of 4wd subaru at its best .

When I tested the classic and wrxd I decided instantly that I had to have the car but I could not decide instantly which does worry me and the misses did like the look of a plasma blue saloon and thought it might be better all round for the bad weather conditions we have and also a bit higher up too

So the jury's still out untill I see one with a massive rear wing in the flesh which might help me decide

Looks and a different style of car with a bit less power then I'm used to
Or
Play it safe with AWD which is what I have been used to for the last 12 years and looking at the sort of heavy rain we have nowadays maybe stick to the good old AWD

The toyota version has just arrived into Carlisle and I will try it out ona dry roads and day and on my familler roads where I live so I can get a more accurate view of what it's like

Have not had a chance yet to drive the GT86 and Stan palmers BRZ is coming shortly so I will have a good go in that too as at my age I need to make the correct decision
Couple of things are making me think hard
The misses has now changed her mind about the BRZ after seeing me look ar countess pictures if the 2011/12 shaped Sti on the American nsioc forums and she is a lot more excited By the looks of them especially the saloon with a big wing I'm starting TI be really swayed by the saloon too
For the last 30 years ive always had a car I can put large bits of furniture in but I don't need to anymore after changing my job 6 years ago
We also have use if a Honda accord hatch for big carry homes and "tip runs " which we do a lot off so carrying isnt as important anymore

Another thing in the last few days is the reduction of pric from 33k+ to the bargain price of £26995 so it's Similer price to the BRZ
That's a lot of Money to me now with retirement plans coming quickly
The big thing do me is basically like others in the community
I like to go fast ,end off
For over 12 years my subarus Greenwagon and also the wrxd have given me great driving pleasure ,performance and safety
We had a 350z which the boy used and with him off to Australia we sold it as I was never happy with the handleing ans totally useless in the snow ( we live on a hill ) and I need far that can get me from A-B and in the rain too and that's what we are scared of with the BRZ
Will we get stuck ?
Will we have to go slower in the rain ?
Will I miss the performance that my other 2 subarus give me ?

I know the STi will tick all those boxes must hope its a permanent reduction in price as I don't want to change into next year anyway due to the boys house purchasing and my shares i will have to pay into it
The BRZ I just don't know unless we get it I yellow with a fast and furious big wing and I could use it in the summer
Old 24 August 2012, 04:48 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm

2 reviews, 1 says the engine is so gutless, the other says its really quick for a non turbo.
Old 24 August 2012, 05:17 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

would like to see both reviewers past cars then!
Old 24 August 2012, 05:22 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

I got to drive one in the twisties a few weeks a go well a Toyota version anyways.

To some up it one of the best road car chassis I have ever driven but gagging for another 100bhp!
Old 24 August 2012, 05:23 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

i had a look round the brz in the local carstins subaru local to me. imo the car looks the part exterior and interior but is massively let down by the fact it's a diesel boxer engine.

I asked the lady behind the sales counter whether there was a petrol turbo model and she told me they are all diesels at the minute but there is one due out with a petrol turbo lump.

The one thing that did impress me was the fact they got a diesel lump to rev to 9k rpm redline.

It seems silly to me to go to all that effort to make it look the way it does and not go with a iro 400bhp tuned petrol lump.
Old 24 August 2012, 05:31 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by type-rob
would like to see both reviewers past cars then!

Current cars

Impreza classic turbo std Owned for 12 years since new

Impreza wrx d yes one of the very few diesel in the uk remapped for mid range torque which is as fast as my classic once I get into third gear
Previous cars
Lots including 350z ,RS turbo etc over the last 30 years
Old 24 August 2012, 05:35 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Hmmmm

2 reviews, 1 says the engine is so gutless, the other says its really quick for a non turbo.

Quite a different feeling to drive
0-60 is in 7 .5 I think but as its small and low down it feels faster ,very Similer to the boxer ,cayman and 350z I have drive

But it doesn't throw you back in the Seat like my classic

Strange noise from the engine once it gets to 4k revs
Old 24 August 2012, 05:59 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
i had a look round the brz in the local carstins subaru local to me. imo the car looks the part exterior and interior but is massively let down by the fact it's a diesel boxer engine.

I asked the lady behind the sales counter whether there was a petrol turbo model and she told me they are all diesels at the minute but there is one due out with a petrol turbo lump.

The one thing that did impress me was the fact they got a diesel lump to rev to 9k rpm redline.

It seems silly to me to go to all that effort to make it look the way it does and not go with a iro 400bhp tuned petrol lump.
Diesel ??? There are no boxer diesel BRZ cars made ? There all the new fa 2.0 direct injection petrol engine
Old 24 August 2012, 06:02 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
Quite a different feeling to drive
0-60 is in 7 .5 I think but as its small and low down it feels faster ,very Similer to the boxer ,cayman and 350z I have drive

But it doesn't throw you back in the Seat like my classic

Strange noise from the engine once it gets to 4k revs
Our BRZ is due next week John. Will give you a shout & you can try it on home turf mate. Oh the strange noise is a sound creator I'll explain & show you.
Old 24 August 2012, 08:29 PM
Scooby Jo
Scooby Regular

Evo mag did a really good series of tests on the BRZ, one of which was against a Classic Impreza turbo, it was mint for a 15 year old car. The Impreza got the better review All the different test drivers loved the BRZ's looks and handling but felt it was under powered. I love the look of it but not sure if I could go back to a non turbo.
Old 24 August 2012, 09:05 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see what the problem is with the power, all standard classic scoobs and newage sti's are underpowered too and as a result they all pretty much get modified one way or the other. The same will happen with the BRz using various tuning packages.
Old 24 August 2012, 09:19 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

This kit looking promising

P&L Motorsports BRZ/FRS Stage 1 Turbo kit

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2398576

Jura
Old 24 August 2012, 09:22 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Also running in too
The one I drove had only a few hundred miles on the clocks and was driven through the town
But when I have a go in Stans palmers demo car I can try it on my local roads with no traffic to see how it goes as I haven't really tried one in mid range 50-90 which is the all important part

I can then compare it more accurate against my classic ,wrxd and a new Sti which the misses keeps on reminding me look nice in red ( with a big spoiler of course )
Old 25 August 2012, 09:57 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
Diesel ??? There are no boxer diesel BRZ cars made ? There all the new fa 2.0 direct injection petrol engine

nope, i had a good look round the engine and it's definately a diesel.
Old 25 August 2012, 04:51 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

I can assure you there were never any made mate its not even an option

It's even in My training notes from subaru themselves..
The Subaru/Toyota engine is a d4s FA series Direct injection petrol,

the diesel would never fit in there mate due to the overall height of the engine and the way it's been designed to slope backwards to get the height of the car down.

this is the only engine ever fitted.
Old 25 August 2012, 07:20 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/searc...archid=1069637

I have spent months reading up on BRZs and have never come across one in diesel

Wrxd yes I've got one

but defenty not a diesel in a BRZ sports car
It must be the only one in the world you have seen
A collectors item which would be worth a fortune
Old 25 August 2012, 09:35 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

next time i'm in there grabbing bits i'll get a pic, it was definately a diesel as it had a fuel filter housing and clear fuel lines where the alternator is in the above pic.

It may be a super rare 1 off but it was definately a diesel.
Old 25 August 2012, 11:17 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Are you sure you're talking about the BRZ, as with the other guys I'm 100% sure they have not fitted them in for sale.
Old 26 August 2012, 12:14 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bioforger
I don't see what the problem is with the power, all standard classic scoobs and newage sti's are underpowered too and as a result they all pretty much get modified one way or the other. The same will happen with the BRz using various tuning packages.
Which will be very expensive as it's a non turbo...
Old 26 August 2012, 10:40 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

next time i'm in there grabbing bits i'll get a pic, it was definately a diesel as it had a fuel filter housing and clear fuel lines where the alternator is in the above pic.

That would be great if you could mate, Must be a one off... There was a rumour about doing it but put a stop to it with it being to heavy and bulky.
Old 27 August 2012, 09:12 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bioforger
The obvious answer to that is the BRZ lacks a turbo charger! Underpowered some imprezas may be but large power increase is cheap and easy. The BRZ is stuck with it's low power unless you want to spend thousands on a complete rework.

Is the Sti one deffinately going to be turbo charged and 4wd? It doesn't look the shape to be 4wd. Really doesn't strike me as the sort of car to have a turbo

The whole idea of these little sports cars is to give performance totally exploitable by the average man. Bit like the mx5.

It's not my cup of tea being NA but I have a turbo obsession, I just like knowing more power is just a step away.

I've said it before but what were they thinking with the wheels? It's almost like they've looked at chav car magazines and thought they'll put on wheels every 18 yr old has on their corsa!

I actually like the car but would love to see someone 'shop some anthracite volks on, maybe staggered too.

Last edited by jameswrx; 27 August 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 27 August 2012, 09:15 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

:

Old 28 August 2012, 07:32 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
:

and that very informative response means what exactly?
Old 28 August 2012, 07:51 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

and that very informative response means what exactly?
dont worry its the best he can do with that lower IQ due to all the weed he smokes.
Old 28 August 2012, 08:01 AM
Kennyboyd31
Scooby Regular

I have driven the GT-86 and it was a really nice ride. Comfortable and holds very well.
It does lack a bit of ... umfff. This maybe coz im that use to a turbcharger.
Saying this, there is plebty of scope for supercharging/turbocharging or even twin charging the BRZ and GT-86.
IMO , a very good car with awesome looks and well worth the £27k.

PS my Brother just bought one lol
Old 28 August 2012, 10:03 AM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Previous cars include, fiat coupe, mx5, 350z and current blobeye impreza.

As specialx said all it's lacking is another 100 BHP.

Last edited by Kedlestone; 28 August 2012 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: My BRZ test drive.