Sponsored by:

MANY THANKS TO ANDREW CARR/RICHARD HENRY MOTORSPORT

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2012, 10:40 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MANY THANKS TO ANDREW CARR/RICHARD HENRY MOTORSPORT

As the title says many thanks to those guys, Had all my upgrades fitted and car mapped on Friday by Andrew Carr, I cant fault the bloke He fitted the 3 port and changed boost pipes over and set to work. 1st he saved my map checked a few thing (no idea what lol) put the knock sensor on and exhaust sensor and with laptop on legs we set about mapping it up.
He has put 2 maps on for me a eco map with low boost and a high boost map for the good times....

I have driven down to the Waddington airshow today from Leeds and all I can say is WOWZERZ, A,B roads and some motorway driving and more than happy to say the least.

Not sure of figures but had a little tickle with one of those new Golf "R"s and all I can say is it was a comfortable situation and didnt need to try too hard....

So if your from the Yorkshire area and need a map or upgrades fitting/repairs go and see Andrew Carr for the map and Andy at RHM for the car maintenance, cracking lads and all know there stuff !!

Rich
Old 30 June 2012, 11:21 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

One thing I must add though is... which im quite disappointed at is the brakes I changed all disc's and pads for groved discs and kev pads with braided hoses and 5.1 fluid, when the car was standard the were good but now the power has gone up and after a few hard braking sections of road they just fade away to nothing..... Not happy seen as I have bought them ready to cope with the extra power and they dont help at all......

Any ideas please reply.

Cheers

Rich
Old 30 June 2012, 11:30 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

did you buy a set of 4 pots? the standard 2 pots will be pants even with the discs and pads bud. some will even say the 4 pots arent enough but i changed mine to subaru 4 pots and they stop me just fine with 315bhp.
Old 30 June 2012, 11:43 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
did you buy a set of 4 pots? the standard 2 pots will be pants even with the discs and pads bud. some will even say the 4 pots arent enough but i changed mine to subaru 4 pots and they stop me just fine with 315bhp.

It has the standard 4 pots on already fella and under normal circumstances they are fine but if I take her for a quick spin and push them a little the fade so quick its unreal. I have been reading on here bout 330 brake conversions but think I may try a better pad 1st as its the cheaper option and I have read a little about ppl not liking the kev pads so I think thats my 1st point of call.
Old 30 June 2012, 11:48 PM
Bikerboygreen
Scooby Regular

Glad you are pleased with the work you had done - it was my black blob wagon that was also being modded and mapped on Friday. Cheers.
Simon
Old 30 June 2012, 11:53 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bikerboygreen
Glad you are pleased with the work you had done - it was my black blob wagon that was also being modded and mapped on Friday. Cheers.
Simon

Hi

Thanks for getting in touch fella, Ye the mapping that has been done is great but not so happy with the brakes now , The pads are going to need a change to see if that helps. What brake set up have you got ?

Hows your car running ?

Rich
Old 01 July 2012, 10:07 AM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Morning bump

Anyone got some advice on a better brake pad than the Kev pads, they were ok until mapped on Friday now just not good enough. I dont want to spead mega money but im not tight either, do I need to do front and rear or just front ? Advice and opinions are welcome.

Cheers

Rich

Trending Topics

Old 01 July 2012, 10:14 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Pads is your downfall mate, try blue stuff or orange stuff. I had blue stuff before and they were spot on. But after about and hour of hard driving everything would boil and get fade, probably down to master cylinder boiling up lol.
I now use carbon Lorraine RC6 pads
Regards
Old 01 July 2012, 10:27 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Have a chat with the chap you bought them from mate. There are a couple of types of Kevlar pads going from what Ian Godney has said. If an upgrade is due he'll offer the best advice IMO.
Old 01 July 2012, 10:27 AM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Pads is your downfall mate, try blue stuff or orange stuff. I had blue stuff before and they were spot on. But after about and hour of hard driving everything would boil and get fade, probably down to master cylinder boiling up lol.
I now use carbon Lorraine RC6 pads
Regards
Hi

Thanks for getting in touch, I seee that the blue stuff pads are a lil more expensive than the Carbon Lorrains after checking on net, which are the better pad in your opinion ?

Is there anything else out there that isnt so pricey yet as effective and do I need to do front and rear at the same time ?

Rich
Old 01 July 2012, 10:30 AM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Have a chat with the chap you bought them from mate. There are a couple of types of Kevlar pads going from what Ian Godney has said. If an upgrade is due he'll offer the best advice IMO.

Will do fella, I did get them from Ian I was just wanting to gauge what ppl are using with my set up and get a bit of info on subject.

Cheers

Rich
Old 01 July 2012, 10:30 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Not a cheap option but performance friction discs and pads are the bee knees!
Old 01 July 2012, 10:39 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobywrxwagon
Hi

Thanks for getting in touch, I seee that the blue stuff pads are a lil more expensive than the Carbon Lorrains after checking on net, which are the better pad in your opinion ?

Is there anything else out there that isnt so pricey yet as effective and do I need to do front and rear at the same time ?

Rich
I don't think you can get cl pads for the standard 4 pots only brembos (I think)
I belive the rc6 pads are better than orange easily, but they are race pads so downfalls are, squeaky around town driving and dusty, but after that bloody awesome and no fade. I'm going for performance friction next or pagids etc. give em a try.
If I was in you position I'd get orange stuff, I've tried blues and they are good, work from cold and you don't have to stamp on them, as for orange I haven't tried but I belive they are same as blues but they can stand more heat temps to avoid fade.
Hope that helps.
Seems to me you drive hard like me as to why your kelvars proved to be st1t. But there are 2 types of kelvars being sold so don't know which ones you got, but the German ones seem to have ok feedback.
Regards

And change all 4 for peace of mind only, but the fronts do more work, but that's entirely upto you fella. IMO I would do all 4

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 01 July 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01 July 2012, 10:56 AM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
I don't think you can get cl pads for the standard 4 pots only brembos (I think)
I belive the rc6 pads are better than orange easily, but they are race pads so downfalls are, squeaky around town driving and dusty, but after that bloody awesome and no fade. I'm going for performance friction next or pagids etc. give em a try.
If I was in you position I'd get orange stuff, I've tried blues and they are good, work from cold and you don't have to stamp on them, as for orange I haven't tried but I belive they are same as blues but they can stand more heat temps to avoid fade.
Hope that helps.
Seems to me you drive hard like me as to why your kelvars proved to be st1t. But there are 2 types of kelvars being sold so don't know which ones you got, but the German ones seem to have ok feedback.
Regards

And change all 4 for peace of mind only, but the fronts do more work, but that's entirely upto you fella. IMO I would do all 4

Nice one, thanks for the heads up. I have found these -

http://www.cl-brakes.co.uk/carbone-l...rake-pads.html

Not a bad price either.

I dont drive too hard but the times I have done after the remap they just dont fill me with confidence and when warm I have to really stamp down on them to do anything. I will check with Ian though and see what he thinks.

Cheers

Rich
Old 01 July 2012, 11:05 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Nice one, thanks for the heads up. I have found these -

http://www.cl-brakes.co.uk/carbone-l...rake-pads.html

Not a bad price either.

I dont drive too hard but the times I have done after the remap they just dont fill me with confidence and when warm I have to really stamp down on them to do anything. I will check with Ian though and see what he thinks.

Cheers

Rich
They maybe for classic fitment only.
The cl pads I belive are in the same league as pf and pagids but for the fraction of the price. But then considering the squeaking around town and excess dust is my only downfall. But the pf don't squeak or dust as much so as to why I'll choose them next. But at £200+
The orange or blue should be fine for you if you don't drive too hard all the time, they will defiantly do the job for you. They are both same price so I would go for the orange version as they can stand more heat, ideal for some trackdays aswell.
Old 01 July 2012, 11:18 AM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Tbh ive found the brake issue on many many subaru's i find the oem equipment more than up for the job and the aftermarket ones also not upto the job.

Some of these so called better parts that we all change are not actually that better at all.
Old 01 July 2012, 11:23 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BIG FUD
Tbh ive found the brake issue on many many subaru's i find the oem equipment more than up for the job and the aftermarket ones also not upto the job.

Some of these so called better parts that we all change are not actually that better at all.
IMO I've had Oem set up and fine until warmed up and nearly crashed a few times with bad fade. Oem pads CANNOT handle certain heat temps, but then again it all depends on how you drive
Old 01 July 2012, 12:08 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the 4 pots useless on my bug with 331/329, Regardless of disc or pad used after a few corners and hard braking i would get brake fade, In the end i ditched them and got some brembo`s up front, Larger disc and calliper disperses the heat better, I have seen a few sets of front callpiers/discs go for £300, Take into account what you`d get for the 4 pots when you sell them and its not too bad of an upgrade
Old 01 July 2012, 12:28 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
I found the 4 pots useless on my bug with 331/329, Regardless of disc or pad used after a few corners and hard braking i would get brake fade, In the end i ditched them and got some brembo`s up front, Larger disc and calliper disperses the heat better, I have seen a few sets of front callpiers/discs go for £300, Take into account what you`d get for the 4 pots when you sell them and its not too bad of an upgrade

Hi

I was looking at going Brembo's up front but I have to take into account I would then have to change all the wheels to the sti wheels as the calipers wont fit behind the std WRX wheels.

I think I may just try some different pads 1st, I may get some stds 1st to see the difference with the kev pads then make a choice if to go to blue/orange stuff. Plus I want to see what Ian says, gona msg him later.

Rich
Old 01 July 2012, 12:53 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Hi

I was looking at going Brembo's up front but I have to take into account I would then have to change all the wheels to the sti wheels as the calipers wont fit behind the std WRX wheels.

I think I may just try some different pads 1st, I may get some stds 1st to see the difference with the kev pads then make a choice if to go to blue/orange stuff. Plus I want to see what Ian says, gona msg him later.

Rich
If you need some sti 17" wheels I may have some for sale soon, in light grey not silver wheels only no tyres.
I'm in hudds so local aswell. Pm if intrested
Old 01 July 2012, 05:16 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know if Sti wheels fit straight on to Bug wrx ? if not whats needed ?

Saying that it prob depends which STI wheels where taking about I guess.

I think WRX's are 5x100 - STI are 5X114 ?

So am I right n saying these will fit - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-2005-...item4ab9112f24

and these wont - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...item483eb79f0f

Cheers

Rich
Old 01 July 2012, 05:21 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Correct all sti wheels from 01-54 will fit, 05 onwards they went on to the 5*114.3 hubs and wont fit. I think you popped in to RHM whilst I was having my roof vent fitted a few weeks back
Old 01 July 2012, 05:35 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Yes I did, I have seen you on here loads of times but obviously had no idea it was you that was at RHM. Did you manage to get the roof vent fitted ?

I think im just gona get some better pads 1st as I would prefer to keep the car as standard looking as possible, It will become expensive to buy wheels and new calipers for the sake of less brake fade Im gona have a good read about brake pads and decide from there.

Cheers

Rich
Old 01 July 2012, 05:43 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Yep all sorted, they fitted one to my last car so was a little easier this time

couple of pics

Name:  roofventfitting.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  71.5 KB

Name:  roofventfitting2.jpg
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  roofvent.jpg
Size:  144.0 KB
Old 01 July 2012, 05:52 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Happy Dayz
Old 01 July 2012, 06:00 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Genuine suggestion for you fella. Why not get your 4-pots refurbished by Ian Godney? Even if you don't he can supply you with a brilliant kit which allows bigger discs to be used with the 4-pots via spacers. Still fits under the wheels etc. He used to provide a Brembo kit which was off another car with altered discs (he machines them himself anyway). This allowed Brembo's to be fitted with big *** discs which would easily fit under newage WRX wheels and not require the STi wheels to be fitted.

Alcazar (who runs a "powerful" classic runs WRX 17" wheels with one of these very kits underneath - I should know, I did his front brakes recently as he's recovering from a back op.
Old 01 July 2012, 06:26 PM
Bikerboygreen
Scooby Regular

Hi

Thanks for getting in touch fella, Ye the mapping that has been done is great but not so happy with the brakes now , The pads are going to need a change to see if that helps. What brake set up have you got ?

Hows your car running ?

Rich
Hi mate. I am running Godspeed disks and blue stuff pads. It's a sound set up, but I do intend to change the calipers for something bigger.

Car is running sweet after last week's work - thks to Andy and Andrew.

Simon
Old 01 July 2012, 08:10 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Genuine suggestion for you fella. Why not get your 4-pots refurbished by Ian Godney? Even if you don't he can supply you with a brilliant kit which allows bigger discs to be used with the 4-pots via spacers. Still fits under the wheels etc. He used to provide a Brembo kit which was off another car with altered discs (he machines them himself anyway). This allowed Brembo's to be fitted with big *** discs which would easily fit under newage WRX wheels and not require the STi wheels to be fitted.

Alcazar (who runs a "powerful" classic runs WRX 17" wheels with one of these very kits underneath - I should know, I did his front brakes recently as he's recovering from a back op.

Hi

Ye i've been looking at the coversion kits today from Ian and to be honest was thinking about doing it before I bought the standard sized disc's that Ian does that are groved with Kev pads but after reading the good reviews I didnt bother and was very happy with them while the car was standard. Now it has been mapped and I can run it a lil harder into the corners they just fade away into nothing and thats not a comfortable feeling when your needing your brakes. Nothing bad to say about the brakes regards the quality or anything for that matter they are just not good enough when it comes to the fading away so I need to spend some more pennys, gona try better pads 1st then if not happy then prob conversion kit.

Rich
Old 01 July 2012, 09:41 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

sorry to butt in but banny have you seen jacks car, wondered what it was like with the arches
Old 01 July 2012, 10:35 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Hi

Ye i've been looking at the coversion kits today from Ian and to be honest was thinking about doing it before I bought the standard sized disc's that Ian does that are groved with Kev pads but after reading the good reviews I didnt bother and was very happy with them while the car was standard. Now it has been mapped and I can run it a lil harder into the corners they just fade away into nothing and thats not a comfortable feeling when your needing your brakes. Nothing bad to say about the brakes regards the quality or anything for that matter they are just not good enough when it comes to the fading away so I need to spend some more pennys, gona try better pads 1st then if not happy then prob conversion kit.

Rich
Trust me, you will be happy when you change pads to blues or orange, but go for orange as they can withstand more heat. And I bet Ian will tell you same, as long as you don't track it a lot you'll be fine although if you do you'll still be fine

Quick Reply: MANY THANKS TO ANDREW CARR/RICHARD HENRY MOTORSPORT