Sponsored by:

which valve spring compressor ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2012, 11:20 AM
savage bulldogs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which valve spring compressor ?

hi iv just started a self build and id like to re seat the valves and replace the stem seals .looking at the springs ,as their set deep in the head ,the average spring compressor wont work iv spotted this on the bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Vs1...item19d0c5cac4

but was wondering if anyone had used this particular one or had any other surgestions as to which type would work

on another note im aiming for a relible 450 bhp and wondered if new standard stem seals would be up to the job as iv seen aftermarket ones but dont know if their worth the extra dough

cheers clive
Old 16 June 2012, 02:31 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

I've used that type before, works as it should, standard stem seals should be fine but make sure the valve guides aren't too worn.
Old 16 June 2012, 03:26 PM
savage bulldogs
Scooby Regular

Cheers bud ill get meself one of those then the complete engine was running fine when it was in the v1sti i broke (no smoke or rattles ) it pulled well and managed to get 345 bhp outta the tdo5
iv already ported and polished the inlets whilst saving the £'s for the bottom end forge thanks again clive
Old 16 June 2012, 04:36 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

You,re not meant to port and polish the inlets, remove cast marks yes but not port and defo not polish, the inlet side flows better than the exhaust side as standard, you don't polish because you want turbulance
Old 16 June 2012, 04:59 PM
savage bulldogs
Scooby Regular

Yeah there not proper shiny just knife edged the horizontal separation and polished some of the course marks out .they look pretty much the same as the lateral ported n polished heads i saw for sale on here not so long ago .so don't panic iv not over done it fella thanks for the advise any ways
on yet another note im fitting a v1sti long engine to a my97 (v3) UK turbo and iv seen that there's a earlier cambelt kit (for the v1)and a later cambelt kit .im gonna use the v3 inlet manifold crossover pipe etc (to match up with my loom) but which cambelt kit am i better of using ? ie are the later tensioners better and are they compatible with the early cdb
Old 17 June 2012, 11:05 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i used the earlier tensioner on mine (the piston type) meant to be more reliable anyway.there are a few differences with the bracketing but both types can be fitted to either engine afaik.
also if youve gone to the effort of porting , what headers are you using, if standard , they are worth porting and port matching, the ports are quite alot off from matching with the ports from the head